maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

WOC 2010

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:08 AM  
So it is a misunderstanding!

Rob, this issue should perhaps have been kept out of the public forum all along.... that said it was made an issue on this forum by current and former NZOF officials....

Rob, I understand your point about selection protests and thought about mentioning it in my previous postings, but overall don't believe it was relevant to this situation.

My view is that those people and their parents and advisors who have made selection protests have broken a bond of trust that previously existed between athletes and selectors.It reflects poorly on them and has made the job of selecting far more difficult, and contributed to the difficulty in providing workable solutions in situations like the current. Jeff and others have to be thanked for their patience in dealing with such people.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:16 AM  
What a fantastic World Champs Chris has had with 3 top 25 placings to go with his 2 last year showing just how consistent and classy he is. Certainly our best World Champs performer ever, and hopefully a lot more to come.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:57 AM  
If Mum says no, ask Dad. If Dad says no ask the Kindy teacher. The IOF do allow team members to be changed right up to an hour before a relay, but it also says that the team members are selected and entered by their Federation. The rules are current as of a month ago and have been for years. Ignorance is a lame excuse and so is spin doctoring.

Feels like déjà vue all over again and if Jamie has a preference to sweep it under the carpet, I dont know that theres much room left under there. WOC is a pretty big public forum to make a contrary personal call. Anybody who thinks these things go unnoticed has their head up their jacksy.

Anarchy? Why not! Self-immolation? I'll bring the matches. I dont have a great love for rules for the sake of rules; in fact I have issues with a block of cheese that tells me how to open it, but you do need some guidelines.

Was the decision made by individuals honourable and in the best interest of the NZOF? Who were they honouring? It certainly wasn't the NZOF. It wasn't those dozens of people that work in the background. Was it the average NZer? Were they honouring those that have gone before them and worked their butts off to make a team or not make a team? Perhaps the privilege and respect owed to national representation does live in my packet of weetbix.

No disrespect to the team, but it wasn't their call. But yeah, enough said, well done team.

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:57 AM  
Good on ya Chris, an awesome WOC!

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 17 August 2010, 3:47 AM  
C'mon everyone, this has been a great Woc with all the team training and racing their hearts out for a long time. There's really no need to take sides over whos right or wrong when it seems clear it was a complete misunderstanding, with good intentions, not anarhcy. I know I'm only an octopus but I don't see any deception in how it all went down.
Thoughts could perhaps turn to France next year and how we may improve our results even more.
Three Cheers fot the kiwi team, the selectors and the NZOF officials working hard behind the scenes.

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 17 August 2010, 10:06 AM  
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42355486@N05/4899324805/in/set-72157624616747575/

photo caption anyone?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 August 2010, 11:07 AM  
Give us a break Ross.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 August 2010, 12:51 PM  
The WorldofO WOC stats have been updated already: http://runners.worldofo.com/WOChistory_NZL.html

The WorldofO chat forum was a big part of my enjoyment of WOC - and rescued the otherwise dismal coverage of JWOC. Thank you Jan Kocbach, and any helpers you may have.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:00 PM  
Also worth mentioning is Chris's World ranking zooming up to 26! (and Ross 60)!

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:33 PM  
The WOC Stats are great. What a great record Tania has as well.

The Swiss have plenty of gold on their page.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 17 August 2010, 2:54 PM  
"Look, there's Eddie the Eagle"

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 August 2010, 3:08 PM  
Totally, those stats are great...a worthy target for young eyes. Lets start lowering those numbers starting with France 2011!!

Aaron Prince is keen, Karl Dravitski too no doubt once he sees who is lining up for the team, if you want to make the team you better start training now.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 17 August 2010, 10:25 PM  
And start training in rocks - Al, if he's reading these days, will be able to fill you in on the kind of terrain. Juliette says it's "shit" (can't do the French accent in type) in the sense of tough, I believe it is very technical too. But that probably means Aaron and Chris will love it!

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 18 August 2010, 1:34 AM  
Does anyone use Active Ankle or Mueller ankle guards these days? They are often used by volleyball players but work very well for orienteering in rocks or NZ pugged/hard baked farmland, once you get used to them. They are very light and strong and let you be more aggressive and give you more map reading time in marginal rocky terrain. It's a trade off with general running comfort but might be worth considering for this terrain.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 18 August 2010, 1:34 AM  
Does anyone use Active Ankle or Mueller ankle guards these days? They are often used by volleyball players but work very well for orienteering in rocks or NZ pugged/hard baked farmland, once you get used to them. They are very light and strong and let you be more aggressive and give you more map reading time in marginal rocky terrain. It's a trade off with general running comfort but might be worth considering for this terrain.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz