WOC 2010

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 August 2010, 6:19 PM  
Or... maybe not

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 15 August 2010, 6:26 PM  
Hoh hoh hoh baguette!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 15 August 2010, 6:33 PM  
merde

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 15 August 2010, 6:35 PM  
At least Emily did pretty well, which is not a big surprise as she lives there. I worry too much about any rules.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 August 2010, 6:37 PM  
A fascinating race, but not in the way I thought. I guess there were good reasons to run Tom first, but the Hungarian girls took a different approach and had some fun in the process.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 August 2010, 6:41 PM  
Now the octupus would of course have predicted France's result.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 August 2010, 7:12 PM  
Now without looking at the results, who would win a North America vs South America relay?

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 16 August 2010, 7:03 AM  
Re Emily--At the very least you should be an affilated member of the country you are representing.

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 16 August 2010, 7:46 AM  
I can see how it may upset some people and protocol, but in the particular circumstances i thought it was a good call so the other girls got to run the relays. Has this bit of no.8 wire fix at a sad time for the team done any real harm? It's not like Emily was there on the off chance

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 16 August 2010, 7:56 AM  
So sad for Thierry, he was the one trying so hard to get away from the pack. We all know what it's like. Hopefully he can suck it up and make up for it next year in France.
The octopus is scaring itself at the moment as it had strange feelings in its tenticles about France, and visions about Russia and England. I think it should go buy a lotto ticket.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 16 August 2010, 10:02 AM  
I meant to say I wouldn't worry too much about the rules. Emily is a Papo member.
In 1996 we had Fraser Mills who was a junior, replace an injured Bruce Mcleod at the last minute, and he did really well.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 16 August 2010, 10:07 AM  
Agree it was really sad for Thierry, as he had led that pack for so long without any mistakes, and had them so stretched, but I don't agree we all know what it is like to get away from the pack.
Jamie knows what is like but he usually cocks it up.

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 16 August 2010, 11:15 AM  
Jamie Gueorgiou has a nice ring to it.
A lot of debate going around re the choice of area for finals perhaps being compomised by tv/tracking requirements... the main thing i thought not quite right was having to have all the spectator loops in the bland valley surrounding the same ski centre for three events, and in particular the middle final with anly short courses to play with. I thought those courses looked very easy

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 August 2010, 12:03 PM  
I hope there is not a fuss made out Emily running to help the girls out. There are many more important things to put our minds towards to improve NZ O.

Lara and Rita invested a huge amount of their own resources and time to get to this event I think it was fantastic they got the chance to run in an offical relay team. Em isn't exactly a bunny either, she has run womens elite for a long time for the southerly storm and if not for her terrible problems would have become a very good elite.

Clem if you are looking for precedents, perhaps examples like coaching staff/managers being asked to field for the New Zealand cricket team during Tours of India/Pakistan in the 70's/80's, or the 17th man common in Americas cup yachting, are more appropriate.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 16 August 2010, 12:51 PM  
Ah stuff this. I dont care if I get sacked.

What you coffee gossipers dont know is permission was asked for Em to run the relay and it was declined. Two members who shall remain nameless were advised of that on August 3rd - 12 days before the event.

I won't pretend that NZOF gets every decision right, but its not really the point - if people who have the responsibility to make decisions are blatantly ignored then you'll be looking for new decision-makers, myself included.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz