maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

WOC 2010

Show Profile  Wing jente Posted: 16 August 2010, 12:18 PM  
It's really sad that NZOF and the witterers on this forum think that Emily should not have done the team a big favour and stepped in to run last leg of the relay.
You should be thanking her for a job well done. There was no ego involved, she was pretty reluctant but it was done as a favour to the other girls.
Regardless of the fact NZL were able to record a result, Lara and Rita got valuable experience for the future.

I'm also not surprised Emily did a good job, there are probably not that many New Zealand women orienteers who have had the experience of running out amongst the 20 best teams at Tio Mila and she is a good orienteer with a lot of experience of the green slopes of Trondheim. She is also very physically fit from chasing around after Chris on their bike/ski/foot adventures.

I'm glad that the team went ahead and defied your federation and persuaded Emily to run and you should all be proud of her!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 16 August 2010, 12:43 PM  
There's one vote for anarchy. Daughter of Sid Vicious?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 August 2010, 12:51 PM  
This could turn out much better than winding up Bryan.

Personally I dont see a problem with Emily running, but I see a problem with someone running against a decision made by the decision makers. Thats not saying I agree with the said decision tho.

But surely any halfwit could have done some maths. IOF/WOC needed 3 girls to register a relay team, I'm assuming the people in charge agreed to allow Emily to take Lizzies place, NZOF said no Emily cant run = Enter with Emily but then dont start her.....

I'd like to know where NZ gets this perception that having a team/person that runs poorly (in comparison to the medal winners) is an embarrassment to NZ?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 16 August 2010, 1:04 PM  
Even easier Greg, given Lizzie was entered, is to put Lizzie on the team sheet for the same result. "Lara and Rita got valuable experience for the future" is a red herring.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 16 August 2010, 1:21 PM  
One problem I see is the guys/girls in the team who had the decision rejected by NZOF many days ago didn't attempt to negotiate with the powers that be. Just silence, then the bombshell of self selection.

One possible backlash is the NZOF may only allow WOC teams that have a manager/coach or no WOC team, because this team have pissed them off. Even more importantly we do not want selectors or NZOF personnel threatening to walk out.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 August 2010, 1:40 PM  
well, not all of them

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 16 August 2010, 1:46 PM  
Point of clarification.
The executive make decisions on selections not council.
The main issue here is council members spend many hours developing and producing policy. There are several stages in the process which takes consultation with various groups before policy goes to clubs and individuals for their input. There would be the best part of a years work by several people before policy is finally past.
It makes an absolute mockery of this process if selectors, executive and the nzof policy are going to be ignored.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 16 August 2010, 1:49 PM  
Also
This sport cannot afford to lose our General Manager.
Be very very careful.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 August 2010, 1:54 PM  
selection issue, angry people, loosing general manager, this all has a sense of deja vu

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 August 2010, 3:23 PM  
(shakes head in disbelief)

So whats the next step in the spiral towards anarchy and orienteering self-immolation?

Clubs refusing to pay the levy? destruction of the orienteering season? no turn out at the NZOF council meetings? No super series?

Anybody seriously thinking that Lara, Rita, Emily, Chris or anyone else in Norway that may have affected this decision is a threat to NZ Orienteering, and hasn't done all they can to represent New Zealand orienteers with honourable intentions is wrong, they did what they thought was best at the time, right or wrong. Regardless, we are lucky to be represented overseas by such a fine bunch of people.

Please NZOF shake you head, keep on moving forward cause this ain't worth dying in a ditch over...

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 August 2010, 3:33 PM  
(and very rarely Penny and I agree, she is almost tempted to make a maptalk posting, which would be the first in ten years...."you go girls")

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 16 August 2010, 10:01 PM  
As far as I am aware, one of the WOC team members asked Carsten (or someone else in the NZOF) if it was possible for Emily to run in the WOC relay this year in place of Lizzie, since she was unable to run. They replied no. However, I decided to checked with the IOF officials at the WOC office just in case, it turned out that we were allowed change team members, so we did. I don't see how this is a blatant disregard for rules.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 16 August 2010, 10:16 PM  
I presumed that Carsten (or whoever) thought that we were not allowed to change team members, but it turned out we were. Perhaps the IOF had different rules in the past, but the organisers this year seemed to think it was all O.K.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 16 August 2010, 10:18 PM  
Thanks Chris for the clarification. Time to continue this outside of a public forum.

Jamie you're not the only one shaking their head. Next time an athlete appeals a selection decision or appeals that selection process wasn't followed, I'll rip it up and tell them to keep moving forward, cause it aint worth dying in a ditch over.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 16 August 2010, 10:23 PM  
Surely the NZOF would be supportive of this decision by the IOF and pleased NZ still managed to have a girls relay team.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz