maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Mapping

Show Profile  addison Posted: 10 April 2008, 12:05 PM  
So Shaun, you traced your whole map rather than just getting roads exported in a format that you could import into ocad and change symbol on - like I believe Taranaki did for its New Plymouth street maps

Show Profile  runningbeast Posted: 11 April 2008, 1:05 AM  
Yip - have you tried to get information from councils? It was late enough in the piece that we got what we did.

Good to knwo other sources for this information though for next time I have to map a city!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 11 April 2008, 4:35 AM  
previous postings on this thread about importing data freely available on linz website into ocad, I'm interested in anyone who has played with combining high quality aerial photos and ocad maps, think the results could be quite cool

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 April 2008, 6:33 AM  
Easy in principle to use a photo as a template and print with the template on. I imagine you're thinking of say the contours, road/tracks and streams overlaid on the photo, which provides the ground cover info?

There are some issues with lining the photo up properly. Many qualitatively good photos we used in the past are "as they came out of the camera" with various distortions. For fieldwork purposes you can scan and fit in small pieces but the fudgy overlaps would not be acceptable in a finished product. It is now possible to get digital orthophotos (corrected) and these should fit the topo data nicely.

Leaving aside the topo data, I remember doing an event at Kinloch years ago - day after Katoa Po when they used to do all sorts of fun stuff. The map was a photo with circles on.

Show Profile  rhigham Posted: 12 April 2008, 7:01 AM  
A few posts earlier Simon asked who else has OCAD9 Professional, I am lucky enough to own a copy sponsored by my club Red Kiwis. I have played around with importing shape files, and DFX files from terralink - no problems but I need a descent project to really become familiar with the process and pitfalls. I have created a 1:50000 maps for one of the Te Araroa tracks here in Levin and will use OCAD create a web map for them.
I have also had a quick play with creating a street map using shape files of Feilding, but had a hell of job fitting a distorted old park map onto it - really should have started from scatch

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 April 2008, 9:55 AM  
Sometimes technology while bringing labour-saving benefits has the danger of creating a group of gurus who can drive the system, versus the majority who can't. That causes overloads and bottlenecks. It's a temporary phase, eventually the technology becomes easier to use and widespread.

I'm thinking about map production now that most of our maps are in OCAD. I mean production in the sense of taking an OCAD file, doing minor updates, extracting parts and adding border and legend, arranging printing. Coaches might want to modify maps for training reasons. Those working with beginners might want to enlarge parts, etc. It needs to be easy and widespread, just like we used to get printed maps off someone's shelf.

This means widespread use of OCAD. Now Mr OCAD, quite understandably, has moved to enforce his licence terms, one licence one computer. I'm sure most clubs have transgressed. How do we solve this, as we move to spread OCAD skills around?

(NB I am excluding making maps in the first place, keeping a master file safe, and overseeing permanent updates.)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 April 2008, 1:38 PM  
Hi Michael, I agree with you whole heartedly about the knowledge transfer.

I for one would like to think that I am quite technically competent at using OCAD - however I am absolutely useless at the beautification and legend process that goes on. For Waitangi this has always been left to Greg, but I do understand the theory in behind it however. Still I bet not many people would do it well, or do it the same way!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 April 2008, 1:42 PM  
The Aussies at Easter had some troubles with control codes being out for the next days race just off the edge of the map they were using - with some codes being the same for two days within about 200m of each other and some people ran across the number they were looking for (but it was for the next days race).

Wouldn't it be cool if OCAD could be used for Multidays, and you tag your controls to which days etc - then the OCAD program works out which numbers are best to be put where... to minimise the pickup / movement of the controls that are required for the next days race?

For example if say you had 100 controls, Day 1 needed 80 and Day 2 needed 60. Ocad would then work out which 40 would be best used for both days and you put in the whole list of numbers and whamo away it went. Even for a 3 Day! Say what time on which day you want to put controls out, and when you want to do pickup and it works out if you can actually do it ... and the most efficient way of doing so. Mean.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 20 April 2008, 5:45 PM  
write an email to ocad simon...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 April 2008, 9:30 AM  
Thanks for your response Simon. Just in case your reference to "beautification" diverts people, is it clear that what I'm concerned about is widening OCAD use in a club, whether beautiful or just a simple extract of part of a map for some purpose. And the need to buy an OCAD licence for each computer.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 21 April 2008, 9:50 AM  
dont need an individual licence cant you just use the club licence?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 21 April 2008, 12:50 PM  
one answer is to continue to use OCAD 8 in clubs.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 April 2008, 1:14 PM  
Or a club laptop that has all the software needed for an oing event, and written instruction manuals on-board as well, this can be passed on to the next setter/controller

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 April 2008, 4:15 AM  
SimonB: There isn't one. Martin: Probably what will happen, but it's unethical. Greg: I like that one. But I think the spread of skills will be faster if lots of people have the software on their own computers and can fiddle away when it suits them.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 April 2008, 4:29 AM  
I've always used "Export EPS" to send files to the printshop but have heard that others use "Export PDF". Was just trying a pdf to send a draft for checking to someone without OCAD, and the stony ground is not rendered properly, bands of light and dark dots, and it looks even worse on-screen. Guess its a moire fringe type effect. There's a "compress" option but unchecking that produces the same result. Any other experience out there?

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz