maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Mapping

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 September 2011, 3:35 AM  
Thanks for pointing to this. An interesting thing is how few of the cases were using spot colour (the old printing method). We are using digital because it is more affordable for small print numbers, well it seems everyone else is too! An urgent issue for orienteering is therefore guidance in making the best of it. Close attention to minimum sizes and gaps is probably a big part of it.

Colours. I've never liked tweaking the colour settings that come with OCAD, as Paul says when the file goes somewhere else, or the printing industry gets better hardware etc, the tweaks are counter-productive. But I think that the settings that come from OCAD have no particular authority. Take "purple" for example, inexplicably it comes as 100% magenta whereas the Aussies (who have a colour-affected mapping convenor) recommend adding 30% cyan and 15% yellow to get PMS purple.

When our printer wanted to raise the price we looked again at buying our own printer. Ken Dowling (who has interests in a commercial printery in Melbourne) was passing thru and we chewed it over. Decided that we are best to stick with the expensive, regularly upgraded, machinery downtown.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 5 September 2011, 9:49 AM  
We (Ken Dowling and I) tweaked colours before we printed the maps for BRO9. We have different map files now, 10/15,000 on paper/PRETEX Its not hard to import colour tables to suit the particular printer being used, and you get a very rewarding result
from doing it

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 6 September 2011, 5:33 AM  
hey guys

kordinates have just released 15m DEM for all of new zealand, this is the best resolution dem we have so far

http://koordinates.com/search/category/contours-terrain/#/layers/category/contours-terrain/hillshades-terrain/?s=r

they are free, crop them to your specific area. The base data (photogrammetry) is the same as all the other national DEMs but it seems the process has been refined and 15 metres is the best resolution national grid we have now.

not sure if its useful or not just thought i'd let you know.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 September 2011, 8:39 AM  
Thanks Simon, you got my hopes up that LINZ might have done something about its ancient terrain data. But no, seems to be a student project that interpolated the 20m topo contours onto a 15m grid, which is finer than what others have done. Guess its possible to generate say 10m contours from this. But GIGO.

But I'm curious and downloaded the Wgtn sheet, its a TIF. I would expect a DEM to be a text file containing XYZ values. The DEM menu in OCAD 10 won't import it. And neither will my graphic software open it. Any ideas? Simon, Map Guy, Linley you have played with DEMs?

This message was edited by Michael on 7 September 2011, 4:00 PM

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 7 September 2011, 5:57 PM  
OCAD10 Pro can generate contours and relief shading from DEM data.

I'll have a look at a trial bit around Taupo. I've used DEM data (asc files) to do both in the past.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 7 September 2011, 6:37 PM  
I couldn't import the TIF into OCAD10 Pro. I tried a bit around New Plymouth as there isn't anything for Taupo - yet.

The Help section of OCAD suggests that we contact them to see if this format can be implemented into the software.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 8 September 2011, 4:53 AM  
Problem solved! I downloaded the Gridded Raster as a ASCII Grid instead of a TIFF for a few square km in the Hutt Valley. Works well - neat relief shading too. Yet to compare with existing 20m contours.

Now I'm waiting for the rest of NZ to become available.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 September 2011, 4:49 AM  
Thanks Map Guy, also Jason who pointed out the Ascii option for download (doh!) Tried generating some 10's out of the DEM and find the in-betweens have a lot less detail than the 20's as you would expect. The OCAD-generated 20's match the topo 20's reasonably well which is a check on the mathematical process. I've still got some nitty gritty questions, email me if you want to take part in this exploration.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 October 2011, 3:44 PM  
The mapping for the Oceania Middle Distance (gold mining terrain as complex as Naseby) was controversial. The mapper Alex Tarr hosted a mapwalk the next day for members of the Oz technical and mapping committees. None showed up, but 7 interested kiwis were treated to a valuable morning. The key techniques Alex used to maximise legibility was (as I recall) the use of the bank line without tags, strategic use of the watercourse symbol (even though there was no water), and not being afraid to leave stuff off. The bank line can be 0.18 or 0.25 and I thought the thinner line didn't stand out from contours very well.

For other recollections ask Wayne and Trish, Rob Newbrook and Sue Scott, Gavin Scott and Ian Holden. The map can be seen via the Routegadget link on the Oceania website. It was produced at 1:10,000 for the elites and 1:7500 for the rest of us.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 October 2011, 3:45 PM  
The

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 October 2011, 4:03 PM  
As I was saying, the Ozzies held a mapping meeting during Oceania concentrating on printing technology. Some of it was about evaluating a given digital printer and getting the colours right (or as good as they can be). Some of it was about achieving "the overprint effect" which is what happens in an offset press which is still the "gold standard" of the IOF. The expert here is ex-Dunedin Ken Dowling and his papers are on his website as www.mapsport.com.au/resources/mapping-resources/ Useful stuff. It might answer the mystery of the fuzzy printing of the Naseby relay maps.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 14 November 2011, 2:58 AM  
The NZOF MTBO Committee has developed a set of NZ Mapping Conventions for the Otago Carnival. This is mainly because the IOF specis are fairly unsatisfactory regarding off-track travel and we want to be able to show limited areas where it is allowed and how fast it is in relatrion to the tracks. Please see the Draft NZ MTBO Rules on the MTBO website for what the riders will be given.

There are also some small symbol dimension changes which are not described in these rules but which we believe are improvements. There is no need to suddenly update MTBO maps, but if you are interested please ask for the details. michael dot wood at mapsport.co.nz

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 21 November 2011, 3:51 AM  
What do you think of the idea of graduating the the thickness of the contour lines and form lines to show what the height of the bank is where the contour is drawn?
In areas where contours are closer together and the frequency of the contours can show the steepness, the contours would have the normal width. In an area that is more or less flat and the contour is not showing a form it would be skinnier. In a place where it represents a steep bank it would be thicker.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 2 December 2011, 4:12 PM  
I have to show a smallish area which has previously been logged (years ago), yet still has the remnants of multiple logs and stumps. The area covers about 50m wide and is about 100m long. It covers an S-shaped Taupo gully on open farmland. I have no idea of how to represent it on the map. Any ideas?

In the past I have used a diagonal yellow stripe for logged areas, as I have seen on Swedish maps (years ago), but this is a small area and the stripe probably will not show up well. The area is significant, so can't be ignored.

Vertical green stripe (symbol 707) is a possibility, but a competitor can easily run through the area at speed (not slow).

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 December 2011, 7:21 AM  
Do you mean 407 Jim? Anyway if its not slow wouldn't you just call it rough open 403?

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz