maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Mapping

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 December 2014, 1:36 PM  
Hopefully a dumb question with a simple answer: in OCAD is there a way I can change priority/order of symbols, either for a given object or for all uses of that symbol?

I've been given a map that has been drafted from a distance off aerial photos, and am now trying to make the real-world corrections that I have found. It would be nice to be able to (for examples) add semi-open on to areas mapped as open, or turn parts of 'building' into 'canopy' by just drawing on top of the existing rather than having to create a hole if OCAD wants the new symbol to go under the existing one. (If that sounds like dodgy technique then be assured there would then be tidying up afterwards! and I'm a bit limited by the equipment I have available...)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 December 2014, 2:43 PM  
DON'T. (C'mon, you know you won't get round to tidying up.)

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 15 December 2014, 5:52 AM  
You can just change the order of the 'colors', under the 'map' menu (eg. move yellow 50% up above yellow to get rough open over open). Though I wouldn't really recommend it, it could cause some funky results with printing to have layers of colour overlapping. If the map is not being used for any big competitions and you simply want to save time, then go for it

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 15 December 2014, 5:55 AM  
There's a really easy way of doing what you want to do but I'm not going to tell you. Your map will turn into a total nightmare if you do things the lazy way so you're better off doing it properly from the start. Despite your best intentions, the tidying up thing won't happen, and will be quite difficult to do because of how you've hidden things.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 December 2014, 9:10 AM  
Thanks Marquita. Nick I've realised you have a problem, and we haven't solved it. Here are some suggestions. The soundest way is to cut a hole, or to cut the area into two bits, one to stay the same and the other to change. If you can't do that for any reason, change the area object to a temporary line (I have a purple line for such things.) Then fill in the area inside the line, piece by piece. If you use curve-following (ctrl key) it can be quite fast.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 16 January 2015, 3:55 PM  
The IOF Map Commission asks for feedback on colour deficiency issues: http://t.co/JsISKoHVx4 #map
Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/IOFOrienteering/status/556003541404647425

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 February 2015, 5:15 AM  
Latest experiences with OOM, anyone? I revisited it today using the latest 0.5.96, the obstacles I previously found seemed to still be there. Opening an OCAD file and the backgrounds were in the wrong place, importing a GPX using a Proj.4 recipe fails to give me the tracks/waypoints. (Can't see any other way to specify NZTM.) OOM froze on me opening a large-ish file, too. Yet it seems to be a way forward for encouraging mapping.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 February 2015, 7:47 AM  
Hey guys, what's behind the use of the brown cross? Years ago we had a mapping conference and decided on some NZ conventions for the various circle and cross symbols. They included a green cross for a distinctive log or stump. I wouldn't have thought the advent of the sprint should change that quite satisfactory convention?

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 11 February 2015, 11:33 AM  
For OOM I would suggest posting on their forum or filing a bug report so they are aware of the problems. There is one bug possibly related to your problem with OCAD files which is scheduled for fixing in 0.6.1.

As for NZ mapping conventions are these documented anywhere? I would suspect the implicated mapper was not even born when this mapping conference was held, combined with time spent overseas by the mapper where logs are mapped with a brown x?

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 11 February 2015, 12:17 PM  
A brown cross according to my copy of ISOM is a "Special LANDFORM feature" (as a termite mound in Australia), NOT a Vegetation feature (which is green).

Logs are closer related to vegetation than what they will ultimately become when decayed (soil). If they were soil (landform) they wouldn't be mapped.

As for documentation of this decision to have logs as green crosses I have a VHS tape recorded many years ago at a Mapping Clinic at Flock House near Bulls. It should be written down somewhere as well.

To simplify things a green cross (Special vegetation feature) was chosen to represent either a log, or a stump. or a root stock/tree root mound, and the green circle to be a conspicuous tree.

We also decided at the time that water troughs be blue circles and not blue crosses.

These NZ interpretations of the IOF Specs have stood the test of time and have been around longer than some of our Elite runners. It was chaos when we didn't follow a National convention. I for one do not want to go back there.

Each country is free to choose how they interpret their special features, so long as they have specified them on the map. How else can you show a thermal blowhole, an oil well derrick, pill box (military), termite mound and many other things that exist out there.

NZ has already decided what our special feasture symbols are and until such time as we get a majority decision at a yet to be run NZOF mapping clinic status quo must remain (no exceptions).

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 February 2015, 12:38 PM  
Thanks for your suggestions Fraser. But I rather like testing my questions locally first, this forum demonstrates there is a heap of expertise here. Has anyone (you?) taken OCAD files with backgrounds into OOM? Has anyone been able locate a GPX in OOM? Is Proj.4 the way to get it to recognise the NZ grid? What arguments do you pass to OOM to "look up" NZTM? Or have I got this projection thing all wrong?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 February 2015, 12:50 PM  
NZ special symbols: Foot-o rules Appendix 8. The symbol numbers there pertain to ISOM 1990 I think, but the intent is clear. So no need to visit a museum for a VHS player, Mapguy:-))

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 11 February 2015, 1:04 PM  
Thanks Michael. I admit I am a bit of a dinasour or maybe a fossil. It probably takes one to know one :-))

I still have a working VHS (bought pre Korea Summer Olympics).

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 11 February 2015, 4:10 PM  
I don't have any OCAD files with backgrounds to check. If I start a new map by importing an Open Street Map file and georeferencing it, then when I import a gpx file it lines up perfectly where expected.

Here is an older thread which discusses the background not lining up
http://sourceforge.net/p/oorienteering/discussion/mapper/thread/be6f9c7f

And here is a newer post about georeferencing OCAD maps in OOM
http://sourceforge.net/p/oorienteering/tickets/373/
"This ticket remains open for dealing with CRS specification / GPS corodinates from OCD files."

That may shed more light on things.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 February 2015, 5:42 AM  
They may make my head swim Fraser! Looks like the short answer to my OCAD import issue is to wait.

Importing GPX, I can see them now, I was diverted by failure to distinguish GPS lines/points brought thru as objects from the OCAD file, and lines/points opened as OOM templates. Though they are not that far apart, the GPS lines disagree with both the map and a background photo set up as a template in OCAD, which disagree with each other.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz