maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Waitangi 4 Day 2007

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 5 January 2007, 3:45 PM  
just wondering, post awesome waitangi weekend, if there is anyone planning on coming back to wellington from the auckland camp round the 11th or 12th?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 January 2007, 3:19 AM  
http://nzorienteering.com/waitangi/news.html

Check that out!!!!!!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 January 2007, 3:48 AM  
OK, as promised, a reasonably logical place to stay on Saturday night: there are cabins run by DoC (as in NOT the Dunedin Orienteering Club!) at Pureora Village (on the direct route from Te Kuiti to Mangakino/Taupo - ie on route from Piopio to Kaahu) I've booked a small one that has a spare bunk so drop me a line if you're interested. If several people contact me then I can easily upgrade to a bigger cabin. Alternatively the person to speak to is Tui at the Pureora Field Centre: 07 878 1080. Cheapskates might want to go through me though, as I'll probably get mine at "staff rates" (50%) I forgot to ask what if any cooking facilities they have, but TK has a fine selection of stodgy takeaways, and there's probably somehing at (closer) Bennydale, if you dare stop there!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 January 2007, 3:55 AM  
How's that press release coming along Stu? =) ...I heard that 2 of the world's top 10 women orienteers will be racing in Taupo!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 8 January 2007, 12:19 PM  
Your place sounds good Nic but I think with having to pack up Kaia's travel cot etc every shift that we should minimise our accommodation changes. So we'll probably stay Taupoish Sat/Sun/Mon nights and maybe
Friday. It would be nice (and easier if we have squad meetings) if most people stayed in the same place. And also because C and I are going to organize accommodation/travel for Georgia and Stephanie, a Swiss junior in Chch, it would be better if they weren't stuck with our boring old family. (C isn't so boring but his girlfriend does drag him down). Do you locals have any suggestions for cheapish options in Taupo - where are the Aussies staying? Are the South Islanders that are going organized? Mike is going to take his car from Auckland and could take someone (+ Georgia and Stephanie) from Auckland and we will have room for one or two from Rotorua in a rental car.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 8 January 2007, 1:29 PM  
Im going, so is Riki...but havent orgainized anything just yet, still in the process, Riki is suppossed to be sorting something out
Dont know what anyone else from South Island is doing.

So in summary we (Riki and I) havent sorted anything out!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 10 January 2007, 2:41 AM  
Also keen to stay in Taupo for a night or two as planning to come up to take some pics and stories for the mag - would be easiest to bring the tribe along (includes two picaninnies) so if anyone is in the know about possible house rentals/shareage I'd be keen to be in the loop.
cheers, mick.finn@clear.net.nz

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 10 January 2007, 8:50 AM  
I have investigated some a couple of school camp options that Greg helped me with (Iwatahi - trashed by vandels so unavailable and Waiotapu - already booked). These two sounded good because they had cabins with small numbers of beds in them and would have been cheap. I haven't been able to find anything like this. I don't mind investigating something else like this if anyone has a suggestion.

The other options where a group of people might be able to stay are in one of the camping grounds in the cabins or in one of the backpackers. I haven't tried any of these for availability which I'm guessing will be tight. They would all be prob $20-25 min per person/per night. There are also some holiday houses available on www.holidayhouses.co.nz but many seem to be booked and the maximum number in most would be 12.

If anyone wants to be included in any booking I make they can let me know here. Otherwise I'll just book for the 5 of us.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 10 January 2007, 9:12 AM  
Hi Jenni. Thanks heaps for your work on the accomodation front - I suspect those that have not organised anything for accomodation may find it very difficult at the last minute, so please get in contact with Jenni if you are struggling

Show Profile  Erik J Posted: 10 January 2007, 5:54 PM  
Hi Jenni! I´m Erik Johansson from Sweden. If you don´t mind I would gladly be included in any booking you do of accomodation during the weekend.
erik_j_@hotmail.com

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 January 2007, 4:25 AM  
For those who are still trying to find something cheap and who aren't too fussy, there's a backpackers styled place at Atiamuri called The Bullring. Mountainbikers use it when they do this horrendous downhill off the side of a mountain. Slightly further north is the timbertown of Tokoroa, because it's not on any tourist trail accom is usually available. The town still has a bad rap but in reality is quite friendly with all the facilities you need. It has a great heated indoor swimming pool which is also cheap as chips.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 January 2007, 4:43 AM  
Look up Tokoroa Motels on the net, there are several available at half the price of Taupo. There is also a campground/backpackers there too but it was decidedly dodgy when I lived there a few years back. Tok is a good location for all the events. If you have any questions on Tok just ask.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 11 January 2007, 5:33 AM  
Just be warned team that we are currently trying to work on a venue to have a bit of a social evening on the Monday (basically in Taupo somewhere).

There will be information on this in the program once we can confirm a venue and details etc.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 11 January 2007, 5:57 AM  
Appologies to anyone bored with accom inquiries...
For the benefit of those such as onemanFC or anyone else looking at utilising the outdoor theme in their sleeping requirments, Yes Pureora forest park head quarters is a secluded but nice hideaway, you'll have to be fairly self sufficient when it comes to food. I once launched into a huge juicey (really healthy) looking cheese burger and ended up spending an abnormal amount of time on the toilet! (Many years ago). Pureora is blessed with many native birds and thanks to the DOC efforts on pest eradication waking in the morning here to the sound of them cherping away is an experience getting harder to find. You can also tent at the park, DOC usually supply firewood. There is also a DOC Campsite at the Western Bays Access Road end of the park road called Kokako which is very close to the Orienteering events. This is a great campsite next to a river. Tenting and self sufficiency the order of the day, its very scenic, sheltered, has fire places and toilets to use and drinking water is from the cold mountain stream. Book in with Pureora DOC for this place too. Very low $. There is a small general store, takeaway food, petrol stn cum watering hole called The Tihoi Trading Post just south of Kokako when you reach the highway. Probably 10 min drive away? There are also a very small collection of stores at Whakamaru.
The road between Kokako and Pureora is gravel, probably takes 30min and requires you to be alert of oncoming traffic. Half way along from a signposted carpark you can tramp to the top of Mount Pureora for a stunning view of the central north Island. During the Xmas hols I managed to run up here in 30min although I surcummed the the steepness 3/4 of way up. Great hill training at altitude.

Waitomo Caves near Te Kuiti and Otorohunga have some great accom for those wanting something for one night prior to Day one at Pio Pio.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 12 January 2007, 1:25 AM  
Just a reminder for those that have not yet entered - entries close today if you do not want a financial penalty for late entry.

We need to recieve your entries by today, so basically the only way to do that today is to enter online at www.nzorienteering.com/waitangi

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz