maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Waitangi 4 Day 2007

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 10 February 2007, 8:14 AM  
Cracker event boys and girls. I professionally run event with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Events like these show the orienteering public just what can be achieved with a bit of imagination/different thinking in orienteering.
Great that a group of young people can show everyone how it is done! I know that in OZ there is a perception form many 'older' orienteers that elites are pretty much good nothing and that they don't put back into sport that has given them so much

Show Profile  addison Posted: 11 February 2007, 12:33 AM  
Thanks for that Dave, I am really looking forward to coming and seeing a great JWOC in july!

There are now over 1800 photos uploaded onto the website from practically all races. Does anyone have some photos from Piopio that they would please share with me???

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 February 2007, 12:22 PM  
Apologies for the delay but all results are now on the website, this includes the loops as well as the relay splits.

Always updating the photos too, with lots always coming in.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 February 2007, 1:51 PM  
yea sorry about the delay on the loops race guys, its all there now.

Big thanks to our 2 main sponsors: Buff and Icebreaker

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 17 February 2007, 3:46 PM  
So what are the dates for 2008? gonna hit double digits for number of events over the 4 days?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 17 February 2007, 4:36 PM  
It should be 16 races over 9 days seeing as Waitangi would appear to fall on the Wednesday.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 February 2007, 9:10 AM  
Well it should be around the same time next year, just got to work out the plans and see if its viable or not. You keen to come back over pimpdaddy Dave?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 21 February 2007, 1:09 PM  
Righteo the last of the maps have been uploaded, again apologies for the delay!!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 22 February 2007, 9:37 AM  
Yay, I can be as good as Hanny (occasionally!)

Hanny's humility is applaudable with her account of her highs and lows of racing at Waitangi.
Even the famous are fallible. Similarly I had a problem at the butterfly loop on the same course at Pio Pio. Although my mishap was possibly a little more stupid on my part. After having an encouraging first half on the differcult terrain I entered the butterfly at breakneck speed (just making use of poetic license here)and conquored the first large loop with amazing stealth. Now normally I would be well aware of the upcoming control(s) but on this day of punishing physical ground conditions I failed miserably with this important orienteering technique at this point. I entered the Pivot control for the second time at even greater speed if it's possible and grabbed my second map...
Can anyone notice my fau par?
Well I never even did the second little loop and was totally unaware of it! As if that were not enough to abruptly end an incredible record breaking effort it was here that my similarity with Hanny is most evident... the classic 180! (Now I'm making excuses) Because I missed the second loop I entered the Map Change from an abnormal direction, picked up the map and bolted like a wild panther over the hills and valleys towards my elusive prey! Things didn't quite match up with all the parrallel ridges and bush and rocks but I could sniff the prey, and besides my trusty compass would fix things soon. Well it took 5 minutes of running in the opporsite direction before the lightbulb went on !!! Having not knowing about my little problem reguarding missing an entire loop I thought I'd try to selvage what remained of the course. This last part seemed hidious, heavy and daunting (a trick of the mind or was I just @#&**ed!) but I pushed on.
Yay the finish.
Still expecting a half reasonble time imagine my dismay as I gradually worked out that my stella effort was pointless.
Was it pointless... not really. It was great training! It also taught me to be prepared for anything in these days of loops, pivots, mp's and whatever else the course setters can throw at you to trip you up!
Now I understand Neil (the real deal) when he says he wants to be more like Hanny. If you screw up it's not the end of the world, be more determined and prepared for your next breakneck race.

Thanks a million to all the organisers of a sweet as event.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 22 February 2007, 1:03 PM  
I found Hannys article rather interesting, with a few points a tad concerning... like saying winning times on day 1 were over what they were expected to be, when she knew nothing about the winning times and the fact they were right at the minimum of the range (which is exactly what they were set to) I cannot understand how they were longer than expected, ohh well.

I notice that Paul says if you screw up its not the end of the World - but just because you make a balls up doesnt mean you should pull out of the race. Hanny trains heaps, its not like finishing that race would have taken anything out of her for the afternoon. She did do a great job however at clearing the head for the afternoons race though!

I am looking forward to Nationals and the Aftermatch Series.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 23 February 2007, 2:36 AM  
I also did a 180 out of that, and took another Australian with me, and I've heard of others who also did so. Mine was probably about 2 minutes of mistake so I don't match Paul's 5-10. I'm not sure why it was so easy to do, nothing to do with the organizers (I'll emphasise now!). It was quite symmetric in there, anyway you went you came out of the depression and encountered another depression but still I think it mostly comes down to being tired and the disorientation you get with a new map. Anyway I learnt from it so I took an extra couple of seconds out of each loop in the loop race to check that it was indeed the top of the map that I was matching to north (saving myself from following Carsten and Jeff's folly). Hopefully I'll continue to remember it the next time the trap is waiting...

I am looking forward to the Otago Champs.

This message was edited by Jenni on 23 February 2007, 10:37 AM

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 23 February 2007, 8:20 AM  
I hear you Simon. Somehow I thought this subject may intice some reaction...
My first point is that I know a lot of runners did 108's etc and I was fishing for the reasons!!! Ha Ha

Secondly, Orenteering not only shows your physical strengths but highlights the many and varied human characteristics we all hold.
In this case I applaud Hanny for her honesty and her openess in baring all to the public on her racing results. Personally I tend not to give up if and when I blow it, it is my character. Hanny appeared on the outside to give up when things went wrong but I think this just shows a different character. Here she displays the ability to see the big picture and put races in perspective. A blown race is not the end of the world if you can learn from it and come back with a stunning world beating performance. I also applaud others who plod on no matter what. And especially those who diligently train for that perfect errorless result where you can beat the worlds best... Hence, "I can be as good as Hanny (ocassionally)

Thirdly, In the past couple of years with all the news race formats, nationally and internationally so many atheletes are making big errors, especially misspunching. We need to have a non critical look at the reasons and be able to learn how to avoid these things.

The great thing about this sport is that every one of us can experience moments of glory if we persevere.

I would also like you to excuse my spelling, I blame Maptalk for no spellcheck.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 27 February 2007, 7:58 AM  
simon,greg.martin and co trere was one thing badly wrong with your relay
I desperately needed a db at control two. a stienlarger at control three and a heineken at control four. Apart from the above I really enjoyed the weekend even if I did go up a grade ( sorry Sevn a class) Great effort team see you next year

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 29 March 2007, 8:13 AM  
A short video from days 3 and 4 of this event is now available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzZqnubPch8

Show Profile  Swan Posted: 29 March 2007, 12:05 PM  
2fraser Hi, have you already seen this: http://tv.worldofo.com/? We are looking for interesting content for our channels. Note that you will still have full copyright rights to all material. We will be happy to use your video for our channel. If you interested, please contact me orienteering.tv ( at ) gmail.com Hope to hear from you.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz