maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Orienteers in Other Sports

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 10 February 2007, 11:19 AM  
I cant get the C2C website to work at my work, anyone see how Damon Georke is going? Ropb and Prong are supporting him, Rob's partner in Worrld Rogaine.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 10 February 2007, 11:22 AM  
Damon is on last leg (cycle) in about 14th place.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 July 2007, 6:35 AM  
Wgtn 3 Peaks final: Mt Vic, Kaukau, Tinakori. Men, Ross Morrison 2:09. Women, Brenda Lavin 2:37. Unless she has a namesake, Brenda was also an orienteer in RKOC. I think the 3 Peaks is "sort of" orienteering in that the route and maybe the order is free, although you can experiment prior to the race. There was a series of three races (different peaks) and Ross and Brenda also won overall.

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 30 July 2007, 11:05 AM  
Stu Barr has finally shown his face again in Auckland at the OY in the weekend, he commented he has not been Oing for about 3 years

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 30 July 2007, 1:48 PM  
re: the Wgtn 3 Peaks
Yes it is Brenda from RKOC (well a while ago now)
see http://www.scottishathletics.org.nz/ThreepeaksThree2007.html

complete with Brenda and Ross pic

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 1 November 2007, 3:59 AM  
9 year old Owen Ireland ran a cool headed race in his school x-country. After a devastatingly fast sprint start around the oval Owen was sitting at around 10th place, nicely positioned without overexertion, then came quite a gruelling hill climb that would send most of our heart rates climbing and quads burning. By the time the summit was reached Owen had clawed his way into 3rd and was closing in on the leader, displaying some good strength and determination for a young fellow. The middle part of the course zig- zagged around the hilly Murray’s Bay School with a couple of flat areas and two smaller climbs. Young Owen picked off his next victim soon after the first hill climb showing his cleverness to run "over the hill" as the saying goes, (where lots of runners are trying desperately to recover as much O2 as possible). He then hung on to the leaders’ shadow to the three quarter mark probably wondering if his competition was ever going to tire. The final part of the course weaved steeply down through some trees then around the oval for a fast finish, it was this decent where Owen made another nice move, inching past into first place, but the other boy, Michael, wasn’t going to settle for 2nd. It was a spectacular sprint finish to a noisy crowd; Owen wisely took the inside as Michael gave it all…

…without the benefit of TV replay, it was a stunning dead heat finish!

The race may not have been big or important on a national scale, but it was a fantastic battle between two determined youngsters, congratulations to Michael and Owen. Both boys will race again soon, but this time they will be on the same team in the interschool competition. Go Murray’s Bay School.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 1 November 2007, 7:15 AM  
riiiiiiight

Show Profile  dennis Posted: 7 November 2007, 8:25 AM  
Rob J put in fastest time on the Coasteering/run leg of the WA Anaconda race! And that was after a very rough swim leg. http://www.rapidascent.com.au/Results/WA2007FastestLegs.asp?e=6&l=

He was in a team with some local. I think he's recovered from his foot injury!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 8 November 2007, 4:22 AM  
COOL
Any more orienteers in recent starring roles - to preserve in print for posterity - as NZO goes to print shortly...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 8 November 2007, 5:31 AM  
Drum Roll, flashing lights... Owen had his interschool x-country, the sprint start was even faster and longer than his own school race. It was a tough run for him but he galantly clawed his way up the field, mainly pushing strongly past other runners slogging up the hills (it seems to be his thing; it certainly isn't long legs) finishing in 5th= place tying with a friend of his from his Marist rugby team after a last minute sprint. He stayed ahead of Michael, his fellow school team mate, for 3/4 of the race but then Michael ran very well toward the end passing owen and finishing in 3rd place.

Owen normally finishes with some fuel still in the tank, not this time though, he was buggered! He claimed Michel passed him after he got 'the stitch'. Does anyone know how to avoid this as he gets it all the time.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 8 November 2007, 5:33 AM  
I find the best way to avoid the stitch is to not go running.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 8 November 2007, 5:42 AM  
My running friends always used to say that you would get the stitch if you ate an apple before running. It never worked for me though.

Kids get the stitch. He will grow out of it.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 8 November 2007, 5:52 AM  
Yeah I remember getting it all the time, but was thinking hmmmm... it don't seem to get it now! (I'm talking about 'the stitch')

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 8 November 2007, 9:06 AM  
Micheal Adams ran a pretty fast Auckland half marathon. I think he was 5th. Nice.

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 8 November 2007, 2:38 PM  
i remember once walking out the door on Karl Dravitzki's frankley rd? dairy farm for a run. Karl picked an apple from the fruit bowl and ate it during the first five minutes of our 60 minute run. i was impressed...

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz