maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Someone got DSQ'd

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 23 April 2004, 7:47 AM  
Who cares we all knew which team was going to win before it started. Even after Stu lost 5 mins. Thats cause the format is a joke. To get rid of this women problem how about their own separate relay.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 23 April 2004, 8:58 AM  
We knew who would probably win not because the format is a joke but because they had very good orienteers in their team.

Greg a number of us have argued why we think the current relay format has merit, try building your concentration to allow you to read more than 30 words and you could read them.

Also try being positive - I think if I counted your postings I would find close to 100% negative comments...
If I was your coach I would try to tell you (would you listen?), that you could improve stacks if your attitude got better - as in looking how to make things better rather than just complaining... negative attitudes are not meant to be good for injuries either you know- the power of positive thinking and all that.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 23 April 2004, 12:16 PM  
Smile Greg :D

Show Profile  addison Posted: 24 April 2004, 8:56 AM  
If as Jamie quotes 'should not be in dsquad' for running 21as, I would think that running 21as and being in the National Squad was alot worse.

Cheesy Grin Greg :D

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 24 April 2004, 9:30 AM  
Didn't you realise that the "Short" in "A Short" can also be interpreted as referring to the orienteer's height - or attention span perhaps? It's called the Napolean Complex rule.

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 24 April 2004, 10:31 AM  
Or infact something else.

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 25 April 2004, 7:43 AM  
It's funny that Hutt Valley choose to enter teams in the relay that are invalid (two infact) when they have members who are perfectly capable of doing well on leg two (legitimately). (Kate Rea & Jess Young). Something is definately wrong with the selection policy there.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 25 April 2004, 10:05 AM  
If you guys think that relays are pointless you need to attend the secondary school ones. Yesterday the North Island Secondary school relays were held in the wairarapa and what an awesome day. The setting was just perfect...

Up high the spectators and team members could see everyone running most of their course. The boys all started together (you might say like the mixed long) then all the girls. They only needed one mass start the entire day which included 4 people.

The thing that made the day though was the intense competition. In the senior boys it was wide open the entire race. Robert, Richard and daniel were all running neck and neck for virtually the entire course. And that was only leg one. The intermediate girls had a stunner find. Jess young validated your comment wetfish, she is capable....very.

The Chilton St James team just continued on from where Jess left off, Kate Rea and the young Nicole V finishing off a great race. Those who say relays are pointless need to go back to where it all starts. The grassroots. These are your runners of the future.

Bring on Nationals. With more teams and more competiton, who says relays suck?!

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 25 April 2004, 1:46 PM  
"In the senior boys it was wide open the entire race."

Um, no. Considering the rest of Freyberg is cabbage and Richard was in a composite team there was always one team in the race.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 25 April 2004, 2:04 PM  
Who is wetfish?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 25 April 2004, 2:24 PM  
Actually there was always three teams in the race until the Te Puke 2nd leg runner had an alright run and even then second and third would have been close if someone didn't bomb a control

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 25 April 2004, 4:22 PM  
Hey, re this womens elites situation in the National Relays, isn't the easist solution that they be allowed to do the medium course???

I would suggest that W21E's are more comparable (in raw time) to M40/M18 than M35/20/21 with which they are currently classified.
I would like to see a good W21E match-up on the final leg sometime.

Jamie

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 26 April 2004, 2:32 AM  
The D Squad should be allowed to run whatever they want. Especially if they have a reason. Orienteering is a free sport. The D Squad is not a communist gymnastic child prodigy regime.

The D Squad Coach

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 26 April 2004, 3:17 AM  
Good point Jamie. On red I think the W21E's would be too fast (that is excluding the occasional Morrison and Lawson), but on orange it would be a lot closer. Marquita ran for NW on last year's leg 3 (W35) and would have been amongst the fastest times if she hadn't been injured. With the handicap start there is the attraction of all the elites, men and women, potentially finishing the first leg together, but even better perhaps to have the women elites winding up the final leg and the race. This may be a good way to "get rid of" Greg's "women problem." Elites can provide a showcase start and finish to the mixed long relay and the short 2nd leg is the clash of youthful talent against age and experience. Sounds good to me.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 26 April 2004, 6:24 AM  
It's a possibility but the elite women enjoy the mass start head to head race as well and with a headstart it would be a good challenge to try and beat the men in. Either way it would be good practice for international relays - we need people who can run first leg and last leg (and middle leg, of course, but the first and last have more specific tactics involved)

I watched the Tiomila video stream yesterday and it was really exciting, complete with the Swedish commentary it felt like I was really there! And I got to see Carsten a couple of times, once while he was running, punching the last control but also when they were showing the event centre I saw a very distinctive figure in a black tracksuit and hat, maybe his red Nationals one, jumping around warming up.

The winner of the men's race wasn't so hard to guess either, but again nothing to do with the relay being crap, Halden just has lots of really good runners. Halden's Jarko Huovila is a long night legend, he went faster than anyone else (Al will probably correct me with who went faster but he did go faster than the pack just behind him) all on his own 15 minutes in front of a chasing pack of twenty or so (and there were no splits in the course) and it included a 3km leg. He wore a completely black O-suit so that the ones behind wouldn't see him but maybe he forgot he was wearing a headlamp?

1   2   3   4   5   6   7  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz