maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  

WOC Team

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 20 August 2011, 4:16 AM  
I'm just so impressed with watching Lizzie, and how smooth she was in such tricky terrain, till that fatefull last forest control. Still the best WOC ever by a kiwi, and so much promise for the future.

The tracking and video was just brilliant to watch, and am hanging out for the relay tonight.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 August 2011, 4:49 AM  
Hear hear. Now a question about GPS tracking, I'm baffled by how it starts. If I lose the link for any reason or I am late linking to it I can't see how to make it catch up to real time. Or even kick it into action, it seems to start when it wants to. What's the magic button?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 20 August 2011, 6:40 AM  
yeah Miichael, I lost it too and just thought it was time to get a major computer upgrade. Lucky the video coverage with english comentary and maptracking shots were put up. No doubt the relays will have more in the open and will be an even better spectacle. The french map location allows for a big variety of course types and viewing without compromise. Nice planning.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 20 August 2011, 8:23 AM  
could be a browser issue - I've had that exact problem in the past, but this time round, now I'm using firefox it sems to work fine whatever time I join - apart from slowly slipping behind real time but I think everyone gets that. Or if not the actual browser, might depend on having the latest Java or flash player or some IT mumbo-jumbo

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 August 2011, 12:56 PM  
Chris: 1st= on the finish split again!

Equal with bronze medallist Olav Lundanes. What I want to know is how BOTH of these guys knew it was worth hurrying. (Someone else 2sec ahead.)

This message was edited by Michael on 20 August 2011, 8:01 PM

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 20 August 2011, 1:09 PM  
Just a reminder to all that immediately following WOC is the JMTBOC in Italy with Wellington's Tom Bradshaw competing. Best of luck!!!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 August 2011, 5:05 PM  
Can't find a page with placings on it, is there one?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 20 August 2011, 5:21 PM  
have problems with it, but lizzie came through 58 seconds down in about 6th??? picking up quite a bit of time in the 2nd half, and several places... leading in Johansson from Sweden

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 August 2011, 5:24 PM  
We used to have a human being with a blackboard and a piece of chalk.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 August 2011, 1:32 PM  
Yep a tough finish for the team. The relay was very technical. Amazing viewing at the sharp end of the field with the lead changing constantly.

Penny narrowly missed 6 and had to relocate of the road. It is unforgiving out there.

Ross started well but then rolled his ankle badly when running with Adamski of France.

The team is drifting off from the hotel now very very tired after a long hot week. I am very proud of how they stuck at it and fought it out with the worlds best on very tough unfamiliar terrain.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 August 2011, 1:47 PM  
Yes it was exciting viewing, with gloss taken off by the lack of info about our guys. Very well done everyone, take it easy Ross.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 August 2011, 10:17 PM  
some notes I made as the middle final unfolded. Apologies for lack of coverage it was long days out on the mountain.
1320: A beer to dull the nerves, or perhaps excite them. The team is safely in quarantine. It is great to have four in this final.

1325: The beer is beautiful. I am surrounded by tables of 60 year old orienteers discussing past glories and current politics.

1328: It is another scorcher. There is a spectator area and drinks control on todays course. The team are understand strict instructions to charge through and stay focused. The less interaction with outside influences the better.

1330: First start! I am hurrying through this beer. Scull-here's to the racers!

1340: The gps tracking on the big screen is great big mistake on no1 from Irish girl starting second. Very difficult steep slope with few tracks for the first seven.

1345: Carnage 3 of the first four have made big mistakes on the first two.

1349: Penny starts, a giant on the big screen.

1400: No news from Penny at first split. Oops there she is but caught by a Ukrainian. She needs to stay tough and keep pushing.

1406: Leg 7 to 8 is a big route choice. The Bulgarian who is leading early goes very wide to the right. The first Swiss girl is behind Penny early while Grace Crane of Aussie starts well.

1409: The first starter passes through the spectator leg. The courses could be long she is looking good for 45 minutes.

1414: Penny has lost more time at the 2nd split. Very very technical.w

1416: Lizzie starts and through the spectator the first French girl is winning. And 48 minutes for the first finisher.

1425: Penny passes through spectator it is not her day but she is fighting.

1432: Amber starts and Lizzies first split is great. The czech Brozkova is winning and wow Lizzie is 2nd at the second split!

1446: Penny is back very disappointed the Ukranian snuck away from her at a control and she lost 4 minutes.

1447: Lizzie has caught Dana Brozkova at the spectator and is 2nd at this point one minute behind the Danish prodigy Ida Bobach.

1454: Lizzie has disappeared. Brozkova is back and no sign of Lizzie, yes here she is, the TV is showing her in the finish chute but she has lost five places.

1459: Lizzie poured sports drink over her face at the drinks control then separated from Brozkova.

1503: Some stars are dropping out. Billstam and Eliasson lose time at no 1,Billstam again at three.

1508: The Sweden Jannson is flying and has a massive train of four following her. Will there be another tow to a medal?

1517: The Russian and Sweden have dropped Jansson. But Handsome still looks like the champion.

1520: Lizzies mistake is dawning on her. A big lesson today. Strength in numbers on that last loop.

1525: Jansson wins. Another Swedish victory. A fight for minor medals will Kauppi get bronze?

1529: Lizzie was 8th before her mistake.

1530: Kauppi cannot get third and Judith Wyder from Switzerland medals. Ida Bobach is 2nd. Wyder gets thrown in the air by her team.

1537: The coverage switches to the men and Chris is through the 2nd split first in 26 minutes, he is first starter though!

1541: In the wash up Lizzie is 17th to go with her 11th and 13th. And Amber is in but it is not her day.

1545: Lena Eliasson of Sweden passes through the spectator she has been going for 48 minutes already and this is an orienteer who won her heat! And Chris is through in 35.

1553: Chris finishes fast in 43 he looks happy now on the loudspeaker. Very fun just lost a minute optimistic of top twenty. Great interview!

And the phone battery is gone.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 23 August 2011, 12:46 PM  
Short video showing the action at the WOC sprint last week - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkkwzv_chambery-chpt-du-monde-de-course-d-orientation_sport

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz