maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Nationals 2011

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 April 2011, 8:19 AM  
Looking again at the IOF rules Martin points out (all good points Martin) it seems clear to me that the intention is to have the top ranked runner running last....not a reverse order of all ranked runners the same in every event...

"The best ranked runner should start last on each elite course"

As well as Rob's tracking point my view is that groups can be very advantageous. I always look with interest at those racers starting in front of me and how they may contribute to my race. The current process has guaranteed some racers of having quality around them that may assist their performance.

We should have learnt from experience that not following fair procedures with start lists can cause controversy and demean achievements.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 April 2011, 2:48 PM  
Yeah looks a bit dodge aye

Lesson for organisers about late entries and start list: make them start first, not last. Don't incentivise late entries

Show Profile  Slow-O Posted: 16 April 2011, 4:31 PM  
Here's a thought?
Instead of good luck and bad luck with a random draw...
Instead of those few who have been fortunate enough to get to a WR event or two recently getting the last starting spots...

Have an auction. Let people bid for a start spot!
This will allow the club running the event to generate some revenue too.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 April 2011, 3:43 AM  
Chch residents probably need some cheering up. Put them all at the end. And put the (mostly fortuitous) ranked runners into the vacated slots. Randomly, of course.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 19 April 2011, 12:02 PM  
http://thomasreynolds.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/new-zealand-orienteering-nationals-2011-preview/

Show Profile  jackabi Posted: 19 April 2011, 1:09 PM  
M/W 10 Classes.

If you made a special start time request on your entry, to allow your child to be accompanied on their course, then the child has been classified as 'nc'. They will not be eligible for awards in their class. Only children who are classified as 'nc' will be allowed to be accompanied on their course. If you wish to change the classification of your child, to either make them 'nc' or to make them official, please do not hesitate to contact the organisers. Please note, that the start times for M/W10 competitors have been changed for the Sprint and Middle distance events.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 April 2011, 2:23 AM  
Thanks jackabi. I'd already worked out what the nc stood for and I'm perfectly happy with it.

My son is reaching the point where he navigates mostly by himself but
I still 'shadow' him - I don't want him getting lost and suffering a bad experience.

What do others think of the situation where a parent shadows a child and offers no help and is there only for safety? For the nationals being unofficial I accept but what being eligible in lesser events?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 April 2011, 3:04 AM  
Looking at the programme for the sprint and it contains the following statement: 'Possession or use of any orienteering or OTHER MAPS of the competition area is prohibited at this event.'

Just a clarification please - am I allowed to use a street map of Havelock North to get me to the event? Or do I have to follow the text-only directions in the programme?

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 20 April 2011, 4:19 AM  
More previews are at infonews http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=66259 and http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=66260

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 April 2011, 6:37 AM  
You shoulda been a lawyer Bryan

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 April 2011, 6:46 AM  
Reading Mick's article - I'm impressed with Ross's time of 4min 10 for 1500m but I feel he maybe could aim higher to get more leg speed for the sprint (eg under 4min for 1500m, and under 2min for 800m).
In 1978 when I was 17, I did 4min 7 for 1500m, 1min 58 for 800m and 56secs for 400m back when I was a pure runner (I regret that the sprint event wasn't around in my running heyday and I didn't start serious orienteering until a few years later). Now I would be the first to admit I have never been in the league of Ross as a navigator (I've always been a bit of a bunny) and while the most important part of being a top Orienteer is navigational skills, I know that a significant increase in running speed definitely corresponds to a significant increase in orienteering speed. Good luck to Ross, and hope he increases his running times even further.
Other fast runners I can think of were Alistair (30mins for 10km)
and John Robinson.

Anyone else have some fast times?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 April 2011, 7:02 AM  
Yes Michael when I was younger I wanted to be lawyer until I found computers. However, I'm not being pedantic in this case, as the street map I have access to shows all the parks/reserves and schools/colleges and in some respects might give a better impression of what's in store for us than something like Google Earth or Google Maps. I was thinking of taking the street map with me so I wouldn't get lost going to the event until I remembered that clause in the programme.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 April 2011, 7:05 AM  
Hey, sorry about all these posts by me.

But I'm getting excited - at last some events on new maps with lots of competition. It's been a long time.

Bring it on...

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 20 April 2011, 7:16 AM  
Carsten used to be quite fast over 10 km :-)

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 20 April 2011, 7:25 AM  
Re shadowing, thank you Hawkes Bay for clarifying the situation.

I'm of the view that shadowing without assisting does not compromise the competitiveness of an under 10. Looking at how fast the best M/W10s go, any parental supervision at the top end will merely be trying to keep up. I recall an amusing story on the subject from Alistair Stewart, who was once asked to tail a young Duncan Morrison on leg 1 at Katoa Po, and, with gumboots and no headlamp, found it quite a challenge staying in contact. I know of fairly recent National white course champions and placegetters who were shadowed, again just to the fitness benefit of their distant tailing adult.

I'd like to think (naively perhaps) that completion of a white course without assistance is a goal in itself for a youngster, whether shadowed or not, that inclusion or inclusivity or whatever you want to call it has some value for under 10s, and that an understanding that anyone entering the competition area is equally bound by the rules of fair play should be sufficient as a guiding principle for caregivers tailing their kids on white courses.

This is a good one to debate over a glass of fine HB red wine...

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz