maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  

World Orienteering Champs 2008 Czech Republic

Show Profile  rossmnfg Posted: 17 July 2008, 6:09 PM  
stu....u and he would make a formidable team....o-ing i mean. Time for a comeback? Val

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 July 2008, 9:26 PM  
45. Morrison Ross
NZL0004 DISQ

Bugger!

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 17 July 2008, 11:55 PM  
From what I can see on the splits it was the last control?
Weird - was he just too fast on that one? Time would have been a
38th/39th place so that's a pity.

Anyway well done Ross on 3 A finals - good luck for the long, give it everything and ignore the pain threshold!

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 18 July 2008, 2:33 AM  
3 A finals is outstanding. Just a bit of luck now and then would help. e.g. Val told us his sprint shoes were left at finish of sprint qual and he wasn't allowed to retrieve them. He had to run in borrowed trail shoes but was still only 2mins and a bit down on winner. Awesome.
Rolf: Tania ran the 3 finals in Switzerland in 2003 but sprint was straight final. Ross is in new territory.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 18 July 2008, 5:47 AM  
Carsten did notice the "massive shoes" in the photo and commented on them to me. He thought we should buy him some decent shows but now I understand he has some but just not then!

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 18 July 2008, 10:08 AM  
Ross left his shoes at the accomadation, and didnt notice till to late that he hadnt packed them, so he borrowed a pair of Brookes Beasts from the Aussie manager

In the middle Ross was Disq for not recording a punch at the last control, even though the organisers computers recorded him there on there prewarning radio link, and he is on camera as well.

We took it to the Jury and lost on a split decision, 4/1

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 18 July 2008, 10:34 AM  
Thanks Jymbo. Appreciate you trying.
What a bunch of arse. More of the same old crap that we've had to put up with over the years. I sometimes wonder why we waste our time and effort to support the IOF and their self supporting egocentric bullshit. I know cause I've been in the IOF meetings and the stuff that goes with it. Look what they did to Crawford. Can't say he didn't warn us/me. Latest example, check out the criteria for next years World Games. They don't even bother coming to this side of the world but they still dictate the terms. Still, WOC's not over yet. Go team.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 July 2008, 10:36 AM  
Bugger - he's just so fast! I recall that it happened in the final at JWOC 2005 aswell.

Hopefully some luck comes his was in the Long.

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 19 July 2008, 6:31 AM  
I don't think the issue is whether Ross was at the last control or not, but about advantage gained in punching quickly (or in Ross's case, too quickly). The unit goes beep and thats a recorded punch. If it doesn't, it's not.

In the split second world of Middle Distance (even more so Sprint) there has to be some rules. And this a pretty simple, unambiguous one.

Hard luck Ross. Your speed and aggression are inspiring. I'm sure we'll see more of it over the next 2 days. Go team Kiwi.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 19 July 2008, 10:53 AM  
Yeah, hear what your saying ACW. Having had to be a rules geek for a few years (bit embarrassed), I know the section in the IOF rules. But only if that was the case. Still hugely dark on some of the ambiguity that does exist though. The 4/1 split indicates there is some subjective interpretation involved of a seemingly unambiguous rule. But yeah, its hard luck (I've heard this from WOC organisers a bit in the last couple of years about everything)but I've definitely had a good dose of inspiration from WOC so far and know they'll be more.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 11:57 AM  
77 and 98 minute target winning times - ouch!

Ross should be out there now - GO ROCKETMAN! - though it's a little unclear if the technical issues they talk about that delaed the coverage also delayed race time

Show Profile  agogo Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:02 PM  
has anyone got live tracking or tv working yet?

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:06 PM  
Delayed TV coverage starts at 8:30 tomorrow morning NZ time. Live tracking (http://www.tractrac.com/?page=woc2008) is still saying "starting soon" -- and I'm looking forward to it because they say they've given Ross a tracking device.

(At the women's 1st radio control: I was going to sheepishly say Yay Ili! but now it's Yay Sandy!)

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:13 PM  
Hope the men's 1st radio is a fair bit further than the women's

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 19 July 2008, 12:18 PM  
http://tracdev.dk/tracking/woc/lng/index.html

the live tracking is now working

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz