maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Sport Ident Organisational Matters

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 June 2008, 4:07 AM  
Alistair, just thought of a loophole with the clear station being the place where competitor details are handed in. A card that has somehow been cleared already. It might be a brand-new card for example.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 25 June 2008, 5:25 AM  
Alistair is talking about a check, not clear, as long as everyone checks, the check unit records this.

I'm not up to speed on the ins and outs of the register feature but I know it exists and works, that is a reason the newer SI sticks can have your name and club loaded into them.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 25 June 2008, 10:28 AM  
The latest archive I've created for the next OY has the majority of NZ ident chips (over 1000), including rented chips which are set to 'rented' in the archive and automatically comes across into the event as rented cards, then have to type in the name.

What Greg mentions would work well for a queue for people with their own chips.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 25 June 2008, 12:15 PM  
Yes - there is a small loophole if someone turns up with an already cleared chip who hasn't registered.

Why don't you place the registration on the way to or at the start so everyone has to pass it? Maybe doesn't always work...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 June 2008, 8:26 AM  
Thanks to Alan's hint about the Yahoogroup. Email to sportident-subscribe@yahoogroups.com or (save a few electrons they'll be next to run out) @egroups.com

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 March 2009, 11:28 AM  
It seems that there have been NZ purchases of SI card version 8 - same price as version 5 which is going out of production. But it doesn't work with older SI stations that are in use in both NZ and Australia. They may be fine for day hire within a club that only has new stations, but won't they "spread" beyond that?

I wonder if event info needs to specify WHICH SI-card versions will be acceptable? It would be in a major event that the organisers will need to use all the stations they have available including old ones.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 9 March 2009, 11:54 AM  
Yea. I have been thinking about this issue for a while - and the possible outfall from someone using a non supported card. Does anyone know if the control actually doesnt beep when you punch?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 9 March 2009, 2:45 PM  
At OYs we have had cases of people borrowing cards from others who are not running to save on the hireage costs, so we still need to check the name registered with an SICard is who actually goes out and uses it on the day.
On a different point, with an online pre-registration system, you can tell what type of SI card a person is registering to use by its unique number and the range given to each type of card.
If there are incompatibilities then people need to know about that before they get to the event and indicating supported/unsupported SI cards for the events makes sense to me.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 9 March 2009, 11:16 PM  
Rog - no you can't tell what type of card it is by its number. Sportident did a thing a few years back where people could decide their own number. And some special events had special numbers. I have a SI6 that has 2003542 (ie for the 2003 WOC)

Show Profile  Chris Posted: 10 March 2009, 12:43 AM  
HBOC has been wrestling with registration issues during the summer series as we have had 200 people turning up to run over a 1 hour period. We directly register people at the computer and as we run an archive, the only thing we have to change is the SI card number if it is hired. Competitors with their own ecard can put it in the download station and it comes up automatically.
We are fortunate to have Pamela who has a very solid understanding of the SI software and processes, so if you have any queries about archives etc you could ask her.
With regard to clear & check, we are having a series of signs made up that will act as traffic lights so that everyone is well informed as they go through the process. Frequent orienteers know how the system works, and if they walk past signs without taking notice then isn't it the same as leading a horse to water?
I think the point about SI 5 & 8 cards is much more important. HB has just ordered SI 8 cards to expand the number it has, as well as ordering 60 base stations. We will have a mix of SI 5 & 8 cards, but with new base stations we will be ok. Maybe NZOF could to hold a register on its website of who has what and compatibilites. On hiring equipment, has anyone developed a protocol for hirers to sign regarding care of equipment, responsibilities, who is liable in case of loss etc? Have any clubs insured their SI gear?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 10 March 2009, 1:11 AM  
Have any clubs insured their SI gear?

Just last week all clubs were emailed and asked about their insurance arrangements, including that question.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 11 March 2009, 1:55 AM  
Thanks for the heads up Addison. Have checked with Sport Ident and verified the range of numbers for each card set. Cheers.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 March 2009, 1:15 PM  
Nice run on Osgiliath thanks RK, but the Winsplits seem to omit certain controls. If I had known that could I have missed out those controls too??? Also, the printout referred to Scarborough orienteering, are you using different software to other clubs? If so tell us the pros and cons.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 March 2009, 2:36 PM  
Woops, above comment applies to red short, mine (red Medium) seems OK. Looking further, red short men is short, red short female is fine, if you get my gist.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 25 March 2009, 3:28 AM  
SI-Card 5 = 000 001 - 499 999
SI-Card 6 = 500 000 - 999 999
SI-Card 6 = 2 003 001 - 2 003 999
SI-Card 6* = 16 711 680 - 16 777 215
SI-Card 8 = 2 000,000 - 2 999 999 (except 2003001-2003999)
SI-Card 9 = 1 000,000 - 1 999 999
pCard = 4 000 000 - 4 999 999
tCard = 6 000 000 - 6 999 999

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz