maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Sport Ident Organisational Matters

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 3 August 2018, 5:29 AM  
Hmmm, this is troubling. If this low-probability overwriting of card data is a thing, and it looks like it is, then a policy of not checking field units because it is the competitor's responsibility and fault falls over. I'd thought the IOF's (and ONZ's) position on it was that the competitor had to be disqualified in the event of a missing punch with no backup record (manual punch on the map in NZ). This O-Ringen policy is evidence that a revision may be necessary. Despite the majority of disputed mispunches probably being the result of an oxygen-depleted brain, I'm not sure I'm comfortable turning away a complaint on this. It is an additional effort and delay to field check units when there is the pressure of prizegivings, release of official results, etc, but maybe the technical committee needs to look at this. A refundable fee, possibly distinct from the standard protest fee (as it doesn't really need the complaint/protest/jury process), is a possibility.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 3 August 2018, 9:31 AM  
Agree Jeff, But! If SI Air is used then there won't be a level playing field between those who don't have a SIAC but can query the box and those who do have SIAC but can't, as the SIAC 'swipe' isn't recorded in the box.

I think the technical committee should seek clarification from the IOF and Sportident on how to deal with the problem,especially if we want to use the Air system more often.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 August 2018, 10:54 AM  
Thanks Jeff and Michael. I was always taught that the controller "is the competitors' representative" and it's written somewhere that "sporting fairness by shall be the guiding principle."

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 3 August 2018, 11:33 AM  
IF you read (ALL) the reports there are 2 bugs (in SI), The first bug 'punching too fast' where the box beeps/flashes before the card has actually successfully been written to is said to be very rear, the newer bug is a coding type error where the info on the card doesn't move forward, both are being worked on (firmware update).

There are no reports of it happening in Air mode.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 August 2018, 5:03 AM  
Some discussion about the SIAC flash time thing on Attackpoint thread about WOC in Latvia. See https://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_1302839 and also https://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_1303308

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 9 August 2018, 4:55 PM  
I was thinking that they should have a SIAC that has a visual display on it and at the start you can download your course on to it. The SIAC would only register when it passed the corresponding correct control and would also show you the control number and description. No more control description holders etc. No problems with mispunches as the card would simply not beep at the wrong control. Just dreaming...

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 15 August 2018, 7:28 AM  
I like your thinking Croxford! I would add a mispunch should still beep (so you don't just think the punch is not working) but in a different tone so you know it is a wrong punch.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 July 2019, 4:29 AM  
There's some interesting discussion on Attackpoint about an SIAC battery failure at the JWOC Long. It seems the SIAC sticks went thru a battery test unit as part of the start procedure, but this one failed after 8 controls, and the runner had to put the stick in the hole thereafter. The runner missed gold by one second. Its not difficult to imagine that this would cost more than a second in total.

A suitable resolution was made by awarding a double gold, but there are implications for the testing process. https://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_1349857#message1350762 and start reading at July 9 2019 1241am.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 July 2019, 8:56 AM  
And it seems that if a battery dies on a very early SIAC it might be very hard to download the data - even if the runner completes the course by punching in the hole. Attackpoint discussion https://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_1351512 Seems to be confined to pre 2014 sticks. NZ retailer(s) began selling them only in 2017, but some orienteers may have sourced them overseas.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz