maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Superseries 2006/07

Show Profile  addison Posted: 28 August 2006, 10:25 AM  
Jamie have you considered beinga concept coach? Plenty of students around I hear

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 28 August 2006, 11:27 AM  
ok you take on everything I'm doing right now for you and your group of south island, the only ones you were thinking about, not what would be best for SS, best for NZ oing, best for anything else other than whether some south islands have to also sit in a car after sitting in a plane, sorry.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 28 August 2006, 11:54 AM  
Greg, Chill out. Jamie just mentioned that Auckland and Wellington were easier to fly to. If you have reasons why it is still worthwhile going to other venues...please present your views.

If you want to have a personal arguement with Darren, Jamie or James please do so on another thread.

Show Profile  James Posted: 29 August 2006, 2:44 AM  
Stuff a personal argument. lets take it outside and have a full on rumble! fight till the loser is on the ground unconscious. It will definately add to the spectator value!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 August 2006, 4:42 AM  
There has long been a problem in orienteering that people do so much work that they think it entitles them to be grumpy angry people, its a drag.

I don't think it would be a good idea for the super series to go to Waikaia for the South Island champs either.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 29 August 2006, 8:19 AM  
Any particular reason why you think Waikaia isn't a good idea or any offers of sorting us something around the Golden shores of sun tanned Gizzy over summer? Or is there something about Southerners you're not letting on about. I've got a bit of family down that way and they're definitely pretty special. But since I can't seem to get rid of this bloody rolling 'rrrrr', (it's a bugger sometimes when I drink because I end up sounding like a random pirate) I can only say nice things about the heartland.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 29 August 2006, 9:47 AM  
Jamie, could you please elaborate further on that comment about
the SS not going to Waikaia for the South Island Champs.

This message was edited by Svend on 29 August 2006, 5:49 PM

This message was edited by Svend on 29 August 2006, 5:50 PM

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 29 August 2006, 9:48 AM  
I agree with Jamie that it is easier for all if superseries events are held near main centres which are easy to fly to. However, even with Kaia in tow, I think it's worth it to have a bit of travel hassle to go to great areas, like Waikaia (and it isn't that far to drive from Invercargill if you flew there right?) or great events like those that Greg plans/organizes (not that I've been to one yet but on all accounts the last was). Perhaps some thought can be put into start times that allow people to fly somewhere close Friday evening and then drive Saturday morning etc.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 29 August 2006, 2:33 PM  
Hey Svend, and other listeners,

To elaborate.

I think Waikaia is a great area, a great map and I'm sure you guys will do a great job of organising it.

I am also realistic about how much travel elites are willing to do for superseries events and cautious about an inefficent use of resources.

Sure plane tickets are funded for superseries but the budget is limited and a full turn out at Waikaia would decimate it. There are also additional costs such as car rental etc for an event in Waikaia where not many local elites are present to help out.

Waikaia this time is also only two days orienteering, which doesn't bring the benefits that a week long trip eg nationals or even 3-4 day carnival can. I have had experience of travelling a long way for two days of orienteering, Australia even a couple of times and I am not convinced that my time and whoevers money couldn't have been used better to improve my or others orienteering skills.

PS hope that Dart river map is going well

Its past my bedtime

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 29 August 2006, 3:50 PM  
Any solutions to Jamie's dilema? Such as an alternative event or something? Anyone won lotto lately who has an unnatural infatuation with orienteering? Anyone wanting to step up and have a stab at something other than orienteers?(although it is pretty funny)

My resignation went in a while ago and as such time is short.
Flynn, of the mighty wit and short backhand/bitchslap, has taken it upon himself to start sorting out the earlier suggested events list with clubs etc... to help move things along and see if it works. But at some stage someone else is going to have to do something. They'll be plenty of time for a life after orientering.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 30 August 2006, 12:17 AM  
Plane tickets are funded for national squad for superseries. The rest of us have to pay our own way and make up the numbers when the squaddies don't bother showing up.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 30 August 2006, 2:32 AM  
Some Non Assuming Facts

Participation by those who were eligible for SS travel subsidies (16 men, 8 women)was 80% over for the entire Super Series for last season. Take into account injuries and unavailability I'd say that was pretty good considering travel reimbursement is a subsidy and not 100%. Attendance is the highest it's been for years. There's still the cost of accommodation, vehicles, entries etc... now add in the cost of those who have scraped money for WOC at a minimum of 3-4 weeks and we're talking something like $6,000 at the very least. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Those who get travel subsidies have committed themselves to trying to compete at the highest level and as such have to make do with the crap that comes with it.

Just for clarification for those who who still think R5 this year didn't have a great turnout by those who are subsidised. At the time; 3 were competing overseas, 2 were about to go overseas, 1 was workng on an offshore island, 1 was setting in the Sth Island, 2 couldn't get out of work committments, there were 2 injuries and another 2 that were flat broke. This weekend wasn't endorsed as an event date initially as it clashed with the 2006 ForestRun amongst other things.

That's a very tiny snapshot of one small aspect of the SS.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 30 August 2006, 2:33 AM  
Whats your point Jeff?

Are you questioning some of the squads commitment to orienteering, if so who?

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 30 August 2006, 3:36 AM  
Thanks for that Clem. Helps to put things a bit in perspective. I must say I was saddened at some of the turnouts for the last series, and was led to question the squad's commitment, not to orienteering, Jamie, but to the superseries. At the time this was met with a fairly unified silence, so I'm really glad to see there's still some fire in the belly.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 August 2006, 3:54 AM  
Jamie are you saying that you are not keen to race on Waikaia at all?? Its such a wonderful area that I thought most people would be jumping out of their skin to go and race there again, funded or not.

I think Jeff has right to question, there was a poor turnout at some rounds (regardless what the stats say, they are general not per-team) and then when you also have elites, leaving so they dont have to run a team relay, or doing something else in the area instead for a day, I think its rather piss poor.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz