maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

World Champs

Show Profile  darren Posted: 3 August 2006, 2:02 AM  
So it does prove that you don't have to spend 3-4 months a year in Scandi to top the world, if the World Champs are outside Scandi.

I totally agree with what you say Al.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 3 August 2006, 2:30 AM  
Hi Alistair,
No you're not blind, I was going off the first list of route choices posted on the web site yesterday which had Celine as #70. Looks like that map actually belonged to Aleksandra Kondrateva who was... disqualified.
Thanks for pointing that one out.
Good luck to the team for the relays. Go Tania!!!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 August 2006, 5:26 AM  
To all those in the Welly area planning on hanging out in front of a computer Friday night (Tania's middle final), anyone want to make a gathering out of it? (ie hanging out in front of the same computer, sending en masse good vibes back through the internet to Denmark)

btw I've just been looking through the pix from the long final - can anyone over there shed some light on what those apparent piles of elephant dung and the stick with shoes hanging off it were about?

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 3 August 2006, 8:01 AM  
What times it on Nic? Although I'll be in the perchoftheredparrot with ab's..

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 3 August 2006, 8:26 AM  
Some good stories from the Aussies and their pics from WOC

http://woc2006-aus.blogspot.com/

Show Profile  Kiwiclimber Posted: 3 August 2006, 11:34 AM  
Anyone know what happened to Jenni in the Long? Looks like she was all over the map towards the end of her course - heatstroke? Or did her tracking device go AWOL?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 3 August 2006, 11:54 AM  
I don't think I was that much all over the map! I'll have to look
at what it looks like. I made one silly mistake at the end where
I followed an Estonian out of the spectator control and I was just reading further on in the leg and I suddenly realized we hadn't run up onto the track and into the green which was at least a minute maybe more mistake. Apart from that I only made a couple of other mistakes, a total of about 5 mins. My biggest issue was my back is completely jammed in a funny direction and I need a chiropractor to fix it and so I can't really run at full strength. In any case I am OK satisfied because I hadn't been thinking about doing WOC this year until I heard there wouldn't be enough for a relay team and I haven't had time to do as much training as I would want to do for a WOC. I'm OK fit I think but mostly living off last year's fitness. I had planned to do some long weeks but each opportunity coincided with Kaia getting a cold and then me getting one - five in total this year! Now I hope we can persuade the Swedish chiropractor to fix one more back this week (already done Ross and Tania) so I can properly do the event that I came here to do.

Carsten just felt completely flat and tired from the start so I don't know what the problem was maybe something he'd eaten. He was running fast enough at the beginning as he was 4th at the second control. Now he not running the relay which (biased me) does not think is the right decision. He showed in their middle trial and in the qualification on Sunday that his speed is good at the moment and he has never ran a bad WOC relay and many really good ones... Anyway he is philosophical about it even if he is disappointed.

This message was edited by Jenni on 3 August 2006, 9:10 PM

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 3 August 2006, 12:29 PM  
I just had a look at the trac trac. It's pretty cool to see. I did make the mistake near number 9 where I got muddle and went beyond but I didn't do any of the random things on the way to 8 like huning off into the out of bounds a couple of times! And it shows number 8 going beyond the control I didn't do that I went straight over the hill past the crosses. I guess the coverage wasn't very good there.

Show Profile  Kiwiclimber Posted: 3 August 2006, 6:34 PM  
Hi Jenni! Yes, that detour into the fenced off area is what made me think some mad dog had stolen your tracking device and that you'd had to go chase it to get it back... Hope your back frees up (I've had my share of back problems so I can commiserate). Cheers from Kiruna./Rick

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2006, 4:17 AM  
Nice to read the Ozzie blog. As well as the first junior gold medallist, its nice to think Hanny might be the first medallist from the "C" accommodation...

Best wishes for today Tan

This message was edited by Michael on 4 August 2006, 12:17 PM

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 4 August 2006, 6:33 AM  
Wasn't Yuri Omelchenko sleeping in a tent when he won, and his coach had to sing the Ukrainian National anthem himself.

Show Profile  Bryn Posted: 4 August 2006, 7:27 AM  
results from the WOC tour:

Resultatliste Open 4 Banelængde: 3,575 KM Start: 3
1 Prince,Lara New Zealand 21:29 + 00:00
2 Jessop,Rob New Zealand 23:38 + 02:09
3 Lindla,Wenche Sandborg O-lag 24:58 + 03:29

Brents winning over all in the M21A grade too

This message was edited by Bryn on 4 August 2006, 3:28 PM

Show Profile  superOman Posted: 4 August 2006, 2:13 PM  
Well done, Tan! Another top twenty placing, and 5 seconds ahead of an Australian :-)

The boys at Atatu Grove are currently opening the cake and bubbly...

This message was edited by superOman on 4 August 2006, 10:16 PM

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 August 2006, 4:09 AM  
Without broadband, its been quite fun following WOC on audio. Takes you back to the days before TV, you would cluster round the radio to follow the big game. Remember, Oldcodger????

Then, when the sound began to break up after the end of the mens race, it was like a story from "Boys Own Annual" - the brave fighters of the resistance, clustered round the crystal set in the attic, making plans to rescue the bomber crew downed behind enemy lines...

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 August 2006, 4:17 AM  
A bit of trivia: Tania's margin to Simone last night was about half a minute closer than her 16th place last year - another fantastic effort Tan. The bubbly tasted good!

Best wishes to both tonight's teams. May have to send my good vibes through the sleepernet this time...

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz