maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Nats at Labour Weekend?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 1 September 2005, 3:57 PM  
Counter Strike is better in Sweden than it is in NZ Greg. Any semi-computer geek knows that. Due to Swedens kick arse internet as well as better players, and closer proximity to other leading CS nations.

Show Profile  MASH Posted: 1 September 2005, 4:37 PM  
Why won't Auckland embrace a Spring, Summer, Autumn, Easter "O" season?
The Nationals have been held at Easter for a number of years now but their event stucture is still geared towards Labour weekend.
Why are they so reluctant to put in place a similar structure for Easter?
It appears to me they are still holding out for a Nationals return to Labour weekend.
Common Auckland, accept Easter and give it a fair go for the good of the sport in New Zealand.
If Soccer NZ can make the radical seasonal change, why can't NZ, whoops, Auckland orienteering.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 2 September 2005, 2:31 AM  
Easter looks like it is the best option right now for a number of reasons:
1. it is away from exams
2. a true long weekend
3. good weather usually
4. good time as far as farming is concerned
5. its there now and 'if it aint broke dont fix it'
i think there is one obvious way of dealing with the lack of competition before nationals and that is to put oys at the begining of the year. its pretty obvious really, why cant oys be over summer (there may be issues with fire risk but thats over by march).
I think that making sec schools a more public event would be great, but running it at queens birthday is problematic. At the school andrew teaches at mid years may not be important, but at my school mid years are just as important as the school exams at the end of the year. im sure this is the same for others too so it would probably deplete fields slightly. Its also one of the worst things ever to have to leave a big event to come home and study.

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 4 September 2005, 2:15 PM  
On the topic of mid term/early exams. My school manages, like thomas's to provide studint with 3 sets of exams to stress over, the first of which is near the beginning of term 2 (late may/early june i think). But i'm not really that sure as to how many schools have this crazy system, havent heard of many state schools that do-seems to be a strange private school thing. So i guess having a big ss event at queens birthday weekend might see the numbers drop. its really hard to try to study and train and still have friends outside of orienteering when it comes to exam time, and probably not just for ss students, so i think easter is best time for our nats, but NZ just needs to sort out the season timing. who cares if it a lil hot in summer; orienteers aren't soft when it comes to rain, snow drifts, rivers or gorse.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 September 2005, 4:50 AM  
There's been a few times I've read or heard orienteers returning from Europe making comments along the lines of "was happy with results, but could have done better if it wasn't so hot"... given that most international races are in summer, maybe we don't do enough racing in summer?

Anyway, better dash, have to go and represent the devil in a court case...

Show Profile  addison Posted: 10 September 2005, 9:51 AM  
While the debate is on about the timing of nationals, surely a bit of debate should happen on our Relays. Is everyone happy with the status-quo? Any ideas on how to change them?

I was thinking about it the other day. It wouldnt be such a bad idea if we had relays in each age grade, even if it was for say 10 year age grades for seniors. However some clubs being stronger than others could be a problem. This could be overcome by having the relay teams not coming from the clubs, but from the "Zones" that have been proposed. Perhaps in the future if the CDOA can get strength once again, it could split off from the 'Northern Zone' and race as itself.

Shit Happens

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 10 September 2005, 8:08 PM

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 10 September 2005, 11:25 AM  
Can once again get strength once again?? Nice grammar Simon.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 10 September 2005, 11:58 AM  
this isnt the place for PC, there's enough of that elsewhere. it makes sense, you made it to the end of the paragraph didnt you?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 September 2005, 5:47 PM  
Start a new topic Simon.

On the timing of the nationals, seems NOS is entirely in agreement with what the draft strategic plan proposes for a competition season. Good, I'll put it up to council. www.mapsport.co.nz/ss/hpstratplan05.doc

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 September 2005, 3:59 AM  
Great to see so much discussion on the timing of nationals, and now the format of the relays coming up for scrutiny. While we're at it, it seems an appropriate time for us to stop for a moment and reconsider the shape of the wheel. We've been using round ones for some time simply because that's the status quo, and I really think we should review that decision and consider other shapes...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 11 September 2005, 4:22 AM  
Had a session with Nandor on the weed last night Nic?

Show Profile  AndrewT Posted: 13 September 2005, 1:47 AM  
I vote labour

Show Profile  MASH Posted: 15 September 2005, 8:29 AM  
Common sense tells us the Nationals will be held at the end of the "O" season, so no question needed. Therefore in my opinion, the main question that needs an answer is:

What is the best months of the year for an "O" season, that will benefit, (reiterate benefit) the sport most?

If all orienteers were to answer this question truthfully without bias to their own selfish needs, the facts and common sense point to the months of "Spring, Summer & Autumn". (accept it, and move on)

I would like to think we could get a truthful unbiased answer, but I doubt it. Even the highest in our land, the politicians and the judiciary have trouble in dealing with the truth, the facts and common sense, so I suppose what chance here!

This message was edited by MASH on 15 September 2005, 4:59 PM

This message was edited by MASH on 15 September 2005, 5:41 PM

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 15 September 2005, 9:37 AM  
I agree with the above. Lets keep Nationals at Easter, and move the area champs so they build up to it.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 September 2005, 10:17 AM  
Will the clubs come on side with the HP plan and move the regionals (or some of) to Feb/Mar??

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz