maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

The Mystery Behind Wetfish

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 15 May 2004, 2:50 PM  
Is it just me or has the mystery person known as "Wetfish" been a little bit quiet for a wee while? I think that it is time that we discover who this person is so has anybody got any leads?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 May 2004, 3:25 PM  
at secondary school, not in d squad, knows alot about WOA (from hawkes bay or wellington?)

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 16 May 2004, 9:48 AM  
No, Yes, Yes.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 May 2004, 10:33 AM  
Was at the NISS Champs. Male. What other hints should I drop?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 16 May 2004, 11:58 AM  
Well let's see who was there that wasn't secondary school level but is in in the age group to be selected for D squad? Pass

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 17 May 2004, 2:31 PM  
Obviously the wannabe detectives need a hand.

Lets just clear a few things up:
- It doesn't take a genius to realise what the Development Squad is turning into. In my opinion, it current has far too many to be an elite-junior squad, and it is too small presently to be of any merit to the junior orienteering community. What I mean by this is, that wouldn't offering inclusion into the squad to anyone who has a level of commitment be far better than only to those who know the right people. In saying this, an elite-junior squad is far more effective in devoloping someone who in the future, may perhaps be the one to bring orienteering out from the shadows of only 1500 people competing.

Now I am definately starting to waffle, but in summary, the current D Squad is a joke. I hold no resentment against anyone for not being in the squad, as I feel I have no displayed the best of my abilities at events I have attended. However, there are those in the squad who I certainly hope have not shown their best abilities at the major events that they have competed at.

Who gives a shit about who I am? Would it give you more satification by revealing my identity?

You might ask what I am achieving by critising the current set-up. Apart from revealing flaws in the selection policy, I was hoping to develop constructive argument on how the system could be improved. I am sick and tired about hearing of the lack of resources and therefore the inability of the sport to progress into anything meaningful. There are those who see the problems, those who will always lose, and those who see the solution...

OK, so lets get it rolling.

Some questions I feel need answering...

What are the aims of a development squad?

Are these aims sufficient to improve the sport as a whole?
(ie producing an athlete capable of dramatically raising the profile of the sport - not just a token article in the local newspaper - ; or raising SPARC funding like the Tall Blacks did for basketball in their success at the world championships)

Is the current system going to achieve this?

How can this be changed?

What about the "other" Juniors who see orienteering as a competitive sport and would like to seek opportunity for further development in their skills? Is one camp a year doing this - or is it nothing more than a social get together?

How about the coach tells us the aims and we can get talking.

I hear what you're saying - bitch, bitch, bitch. You'll find it's called reality.

Wetfish

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 May 2004, 12:52 AM  
"There are those who see the problems, those who will always lose, and those who see the solution..."

Given your last post outlines the problems, I look forward to your next post outlining the solution.

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 18 May 2004, 4:56 AM  
Enough of the verbal diarrhoea.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 18 May 2004, 5:45 AM  
What are you saying Andrew?

Do you mean that you are not going to write any more posts?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 May 2004, 8:46 AM  
blah blah blah

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

"There are those who see the problems, those who will always lose, and those who see the solution"

note a bad quote... wetfish... or should i say ***censored***. Obviously an intellectual young fellow, and wetfish, may I suggest next time you make a post with fake names... remember to keep using your own name so people dont suspect anything or pinpoint you so easily.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 May 2004, 8:47 AM  
All your questions are basicly answered on the NZOF website, you do know how to look around that now don't you.

Show Profile  Wetfish Posted: 18 May 2004, 9:00 AM  
Simon,

Stop pretending you know who I am.

Indentification of Problem:
The absence of a system that will produce an athlete capable of dramatically raising the profile of the sport - ie someone who will win the world championships (Rob had identified the need for this to happen in his end of year report)

That's pretty much what I said in my last post.

Also:
Taken in context, the quote (the only thing you seem to point out that is slightly wrong) refers the persistent excuse that comes from the orienteering community - "lack of resources". I am not claiming to know a way of producing such an athlete - all I am saying is the current system does not appear to be working.

The solution is not up to me; who's going to listen to a wetfish?

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 18 May 2004, 9:18 AM  
Man, when people find out who you are i think just a few people will take a dig at you. Best of luck

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 18 May 2004, 12:37 PM  
It seems Wetfish may have been telling a few lies if me and my detectives are right and have discovered the identity of this mysterious person.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 May 2004, 12:42 PM  
Dear Mr Fishy,

(i actually think simon does know who you are)

Anyone who thinks one individual athlete will dramatically raise the profile of the sport on their own must be dreaming. Raising the profile of orienteering requires more than just publicising results amongst the orienteering community, we (collectively) need to explore further avenues of promotion in the community.

Mr Fishy, in response to your first blabbering:
Juniors have the opportunity to go to more than one camp each year. Yes, there's the junior camp in december, and in my view, it is designed to teach skills but also to have fun. For the more serious juniors there is the opportunity to go to d squad camp, neil (and coaches before) have allowed this to happen. in the past we've had an auckland junior squad.

I remember back after the 2001 nationals going along to the d squad camp, even though i wasnt in it, and then being selected for the squad at the end of the year.

i'd say there's a cat out there thatd love to get its mittens on wetfish, mine is creaping towards the computer screen. (she's already caught several rodents this week, so watch out mr fishy)

does anyone have a copy of the article on orienteering from the papakura courier a couple of weeks back?

This message was edited by Martin on 18 May 2004, 7:52 PM

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 18 May 2004, 1:00 PM  
Thank you Wetfish. Your finally starting to atleast ask intelligent quiestions and start to explain your opinions rather than be a totally pointless negetive wanker. I won't tell you to piss off anymore and no I don't care what your real name is. It shouldn't be relevent if your making well supported comments.

I'm happy to respond to your quiestions. I won't do it all at once though because most people get pissed off with my long posts.

I think there are a couple of people that could be world champions in the D Sqaud at the moment. It won't be easy though. And they will have to leave NZ at same stage in there career but...

I think most of the questions you pose are actually less about the D Squad and more about the state of NZ orienteering as a whole.

Wetfish wrote "It doesn't take a genius to realise what the Development Squad is turning into."

Well I guess I'm a genius then, because I don't realise.

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz