maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

NZSSC 2003 - What a cack

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 July 2003, 4:13 AM  
Yeah who?

And whats Stu's Plan?

And for those who dont know, Mike Grayburn is probably leaving the fine sport of Orienteering next year. This is because of a lack of people keen to do it in Putaruru, and as the main group of Orienteers are leaving. Im going to Uni, Riki Darroch is going to the Mt and the large group of 7th formers are leaving also. He has sold his old Blue Toyota Van. He suggested to me he may just pull it back a bit, not go to Sunday events etc, just go to the Summer Series and then onto CDSS, NISS, NZSS if people are interested.

Targeting Teachers is probably the best idea. Perhaps memebers from a club can work closely with a particular school and try and get these sort of teachers involved. I for one would be keen taking on a school in a few years time. I would love to hear your plan Stu, or talk to you about it.

But problems lie below the surface, as the way of getting people from Secondary School orienteering into club Orienteering has problems. I said this a while ago and will say it again. We need the host club to organise a place, a set price per student etc with social events etc on offer. Therefore all teachers have to do to come to the 'real nationals' is to book and drive. Perhaps having special deals such as that for families, but for schools would work also. Orienteering has to be cheap to entice people.

Just my thoughts for the moment.
Simon

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 15 July 2003, 6:11 AM  
I have to agree with Simon once again. Having to target teachers I feel is the key to our success in the future. Releying to much on parents and/or students is fatal as they will eventually leave after 5 years. Teachers however are more involved in the school and will stay there longer with getting students into the sport. I have a suspecting feeling that once I leave school much like you say at yours Simon there will be nobody to continue the sport.

Getting clubs to become more involved with schools is the first step. Once apon a time in 3rd and 4th form we had both Phil Calvert and odd occasions Mike Wood coaching us. Look at those successes we had then with winning two Senior Boys relay titles. I dont know if it was the talent or the coach but getting clubs involved with young people is really important. I wouldnt have begun o'ing in the club arena if it wasnt for those 2 most influential people. Perhaps committees of each club need to asign a member with some experience (ie past elites or current) to developing the schools in the area.

My point is only reinforced by Samual Marsden and their seemingly rapid rise to form. Is that because of the driving force of a teacher or a parent? Working together with the parents and teachers and coaches is the only way guys or once your oreinteerers they reley on to get their mates from school in on the sport will leave and so decrease the size of schools orienteering.

Show Profile  3 monkeys on fire Posted: 15 July 2003, 6:13 AM  
i reckon, it would be a mission to target teacher, but if it worked it would be hardout.

ive got a better plan, we should get some real rich old dude to start orieteering, and then get him or her to start up a orienteering tv channle, cos they reckon that all young people do is watch TV, and then when all the secondary school people watch tv they will want to go ORIENTEERING.....

WAT A PLAN

p.s GO NELSON, the nationals are gonna rox

PPSS GO NELSON

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 15 July 2003, 9:16 AM  
One last thing to note. things that have only helped to enhance the feel of any event include:
- Commentry thats ongoing and informative. Greg Flynn back in Auckland (2000?) did a great job at keeping the punters happy.
- Music. To accompany the commentry and to cover while the person goes to the loo or for food or both. Helps 'amp' up the general atmosphere. Sorta came into play for the O-max series, and again sorta like the nationals that HVOC held.
- Teams chanting for their members. What the hell is that you may say. Cant remember the last time that happened, somethings at nationals but very rarely. Bring the horn back to nats Andrew. (that squeky one that annoyed the oldies greatly.
- Parking in the same area. Theres nothing more putter-offer than the walk to the start event. I know courses may need this walk but please make it interesting at least. Taupo when they held Club nats had those little signs if anyone remembers. Plus parking in the same area means more people. More people in same area means more fun.
-Nationals at Tekapo and again of course at ANZAC Mick Finn wandering around with the microphone harrassing people.

Just a few tips or pointers for the future. Who has anymore that may help improve the image of the sport?

Show Profile  3 monkeys on fire Posted: 15 July 2003, 11:09 AM  
YEAH, go the horn

GO THE HORN,

the horn is gonna help make NEWLANDS, win the overall school at the nationals (i think there is a prize for that) cos wen members from our team who are on their run, hear the horn, they will get motervated, and WIN WIN WIN

the nationals are at NELSON, and its GONNA ROX

i think i have repeated myself enough, i just recon its mint having the nationals at different places, flag having it at the same old evertime

and if neone else wats to try and battle my horn! fell free, cos then all the oldys wont look at me as funny

Show Profile  3 monkeys on fire Posted: 15 July 2003, 3:07 PM  
i am

ANDREW WHITEFORD

and wat u said brought tears to my eyes.... hahahah

so suck my balls

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 15 July 2003, 3:22 PM  
Ill bring my horn and that funny lil clacky thing that swirls round. students should do the same

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 July 2003, 3:25 PM  
I will bring my Brick n a Pantihose. Any stupid things that piss me off, I will smash the holders of.

Show Profile  lapun Posted: 16 July 2003, 12:56 AM  
Yeah! Remember Aaron Prince showing up in Hawkes Bay & surprising the north islanders

Show Profile  3 monkeys on fire Posted: 16 July 2003, 2:13 AM  
Chode just proved maskofsomething's point which is... "Teams chanting for their members. What the hell is that you may say. Cant remember the last time that happened, somethings at nationals but very rarely" (thats not really a point, but he still proved it)

Chode did this when replying to my statment about my passion and pride for my school... Chode said "who is 3 monkeys on fire? what a retard"

this shows that he is too cool to support his schol and to cool to go hard supporting his schol. he had to put me down to make himself feel better. WHAT A BULLY!

Show Profile  mark Posted: 16 July 2003, 2:29 AM  
what a retard!

Show Profile  3 monkeys on fire Posted: 16 July 2003, 4:35 AM  
hay,

none of that

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 16 July 2003, 6:44 AM  
Well my sentiments excatly. What else are we going to do apart from chant for our team especially on the relays. Last time i remeber anything remotley like it happening occurs at katepo(excuse my spelling im a white man). Look how successful that is and surely passion for your school is gonna be staronger than your club......

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 16 July 2003, 8:10 AM  
gotta luv those road trips I must agree.

Show Profile  James Posted: 18 July 2003, 12:36 PM  
well i can tell you that Paul smith must be feeling like a darn right dickhead at the moment!!!
This was the 6th Secondary schools championships that i have attended, and i think that i would have to rate it the best!!!
Firstly the map was awesome! Beautiful sand dunes with really intricate detail, and it was also quite vague in areas so keeeping contact was essential! there was also some nice changes in the vegetation to keep you on your toes. getting thrown into some really low vis pine for the last few controls after being able to see for hundreds of metres, it relly stretched everyones concentration and ability!!
What an awesome event centre!! The last control was just inside the edge of the forest, then the finish took you into a beautiful park so everyone could see the finish styles!!and this was right next to a gorgeous beach, where some people even went swimming in the water. Due to the fact that the weather was stunning, not a cloud in the sky!
Then there was the cool music they had playing through the event, along with comentry by Geoff Morrison, which also meant results and times within 5 seconds of the competitors crossing the finish line!
My hat has to go off to the nelson club!! For a small club, you produced a kick-ass event, and should feel very proud of your great work and effort that you put in to this event, because it has obviously paid off!!

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz