maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

NZSSC 2003 - What a cack

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 8 July 2003, 7:19 AM  
This years the school champs are being hosted by the Nelson Orienteering Club.

There are about ten competitors from the nelson area entered in the Secondary School grades. Does a club who doesnt do the sort of promotion that one would expect deserve to host this event. C'mon nelson, there should be at least 50 students from the area entered in the national champs. The national champs would be a great advertising tool.

There has been no social function oranganised either. Quite frankly, this is pathetic. If NZ is serious about getting more orienteers they need to start making secondary school orienteeirng more apealing and this could be done by organising a social function. People could make ties with people from other areas, and in doing so, would keep people in orienteering. Who cares what there reasons are. The more, the merrier,

The champs are also been held on rabbit island. Basically a flat recreational area. Is this appropriate terrain for an event of this importance. NZ school teams for aussie are been selected at this event. Surely as the maps in aussie will be expected to be technical, the maps the teams are been selected on should also be technical. What is going on.

Anyone can see im not happy with the way the event has been organised. No promotion, no social function, and crap maps.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 July 2003, 8:07 AM  
I believe the map for the Silva SS Champs is more than the "flat recreational area" that you seem to think. It's quite a good idea to check the facts before bursting into print...

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 8 July 2003, 11:02 AM  
This is a serious issue. Do people not realise orienteering is one of New Zealands sports biggest jokes and putting on crap events for people outside the normal competitors enhances this reputation.

To claim that Nelson is not a traditionally strong area blah blah blah is a cop-out. This is your opportunity to make it a strong area, and you blew it. People are more likely to pick up sports at secondary school than anywhere else. If our flagship secondary schools event sucks, then orienteering in New Zealand is going to (continue to) suck.

As our esteemed webmaster Fraser once said
quote:
If we're going to do this, and do it properly, then we better do it properly.

Clubs that take on the responsibility of such an event should stop hiding behind this "but we're a small club" whiner bullshit and do the job you're meant to be doing.

If you can't run the event, don't try.

Secondly, the bigger clubs need to stop avoiding these sorts of events. If you can run a large multi-day event you should easily be able to run an event such as NZSSC. You won't make any money, but you can cover it. Small clubs can't, but their members still pay $40 to run one day on your highly profitable events. Step up and take one for the team instead of continuing to be self-serving bastards running this sport in your own best interests.

Edited by - Dave Barr on 8/07/2003 19:04:21

Show Profile  addison Posted: 8 July 2003, 12:32 PM  
Technical? I hope so, it may be my only chance!

But by having a flat map is good. Australia is fast, generally flat..... not like hardcore Rotorua Eucalyptus hills. Therefore Nelson has chosen a good area for the NZSSC. In previous years we have not had real fast maps, last time I ran a fastish map was last year at Napier in the NISSC. At least it wont be as slow as Woodhill was this year for the NZ Champs, where I ran like 12min k's. Not great training for fast Australia.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 July 2003, 1:43 PM  
A few more facts. Nelson region population 41,000. Auckland region population 1.15m. So 10 from Nelson is the same proportion as 280 from Auckland. I reckon they're doing OK.

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 8 July 2003, 2:34 PM  
i dont mean to be a pain.
but the proportion of auckland's population that is school children is much less then that of nelson's. But still, maybe auckland should have more orienteers present. But still, maybe nelson should have got thier act together, as the event in right there in the middle of nelson. A bit hard for 280 auckland secondary school orienteers from auckland to make the trip south. But thats is a really weak point. Michael, do you really believe 10 competitors from that size population from the host club is really acceptable? Oh, hang on, the same thing happened when HVOC hosted SS nationals in 2001. Back then there was also bugger-all entries from the host club. Surely the host clubs of the NZSSC should be doing more work with local schools to increase participation.

Lets just hope the Nelson Club make up for it by providing the rest of the country with an event with top-notch organisation.

Heres to a good event..

Edited by - PaulS on 8/07/2003 22:56:04

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 July 2003, 1:35 AM  
Paul, you ARE a pain.

The area: you have criticised it without knowledge.

Numbers: compare like with like. Were there many more than 280 Auckland students WHEN THE SS CHAMPS WERE IN AUCKLAND?

The obligations of the host club: The SS Champs has most of the technical complexity of other major events, and in some areas more. It is very difficult, and not done anywhere else, to set up a white standard relay with splits for example. At the same time there are obligations to a major federation sponsor. And at the same time the income is very much less than comparable events for which only a small proportion are juniors.

Nelson, good on you for taking this on, and please ignore this rude and unfounded rubbish.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 July 2003, 1:54 AM  
I think Rabbit Island is a great area for a NSSC. Fast, flat, near a nice beach should be a great atmosphere...in fact it will rock wish I was still 17...

Potential selection for a Nz team should lift competition another notch higher as well...good luck to all attending.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 9 July 2003, 2:09 AM  
10 competitors sounds like a pretty poor effort to me.

go Paul

Show Profile  Scotty Posted: 9 July 2003, 3:19 AM  
[qoute]Paul, you ARE a pain.
I'll second that .

Paul for your info .
There was 30 odd students just from the Hutt valley Schools (just alone) back at the National SS 2001 , and there's a good chance that , there will be just as many (from the Hutt valley) as this time to.
Also we need to develop our schools to build our sport .
Scott

Show Profile  maskofsomething Posted: 9 July 2003, 11:23 AM  
Do any of you remember the time that hvoc or should i say now OHV ran the nationals and also provided a social evening. How many people actually bothered to turn up to it. If juniors wish to have a party let them at it, they know each other enough by now hopefully and can organise themsleves rather than adults organising them. Also last time I ran on Rabbit Island was the camp champs back in 2001 (i think). I thought it was really fast and flat and if an un-named orienteerer didnt put a control in the wrong spot I would have had a good time out there. Heres to good courses and a good race. See you there guys.

Dave

Show Profile  fancy_michael Posted: 9 July 2003, 5:14 PM  
Who cares if there are only 10 from the Nelson club? It's the NATIONAL champs... not the Nelson champs. The obligation of the host club is to provide the event... not ALL of the entries.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 9 July 2003, 7:15 PM  
Nelson region population 41,000. Putaruru approx 4,000. So 10 from Nelson is the same proportion as 1 from Putaruru. I reckon Putaruru is fucking legend.

So if we have about 18 coming, that means that Nelson should have around 180. I wouldnt dare to imagine what Auckland should be bringing, and to be honest, who gives a shit about Auckland.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 9 July 2003, 9:09 PM  
Look at the time, and im still going.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 9 July 2003, 10:11 PM  
Simon>> "You can't soar with the eagles during the day and hoot with the owls at night" Dick Quax 1990. [...which my coach Dick said to me after a late night once which affected my training for the next couple of days]

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 10 July 2003, 2:45 AM  
Simon, you should be drinking or bonking at 3 am and 5 am, not getting your jollies off in front of a computer.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz