maptalk.co.nz News   |   Events   |   Forum   |   Photos   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

New National Relay Format

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 18 December 2017, 6:46 PM  
Very surprised that the organisers of the 2018 Nationals have been able to change the rules without any wider consultation that I'm aware of. I support change. Just wasn't aware the format could be changed without wider consultation.

From the NZO Champs website

New Relay Format (Trial)
The 2018 Relay Championships will trial a new relay format, with four relay races replacing the existing two races. The idea is to make the relay a more suitable challenge to a wider range of competitors.

The Mixed Short relay will remain similar to the current format.

The Mixed Long relay will be replaced with a Long (Open), a Medium (Masters) and a Short (Veterans) relay, all set at red level to provide quality technical orienteering for A-level runners, but with leg lengths set appropriate to the different age grades.

More information about the Relay grades and course lengths will be posted here as they become available.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 December 2017, 4:58 PM  
Talk to Fraser. He's the most active technical person we've got:-))

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 19 December 2017, 11:14 PM  
Given that they are planning to make all legs of the mixed long relay red difficulty you're not going to hear any complaints from me. This is great news!

Show Profile  rgreatrex Posted: 20 December 2017, 10:22 AM  
My understanding from the planner & controller is that AOC put a written proposal to the Technical Committee for this to be a Trial. I suppose that after the trial there will be an opportunity to review how it went and whether permanent changes should be made.

I'm also looking forward to it, I hope it will see some better balance between teams/clubs.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 21 December 2017, 8:17 AM  
The problem is that there should have been wider consultation. This addresses elites and veterans only. The juniors are now consigned to running the Short Mixed Relay.

I talked to one very experienced and respected orienteer at Nationals who has had decades of experience in working with junior orienteers who agrees.

It is one club's solution to a perceived problem. We are becoming a sport run by oldies for oldies.

In my opinion, we should offer age grade relays for juniors based on their Association the same as Australia. Mixed Under 12s (Yellow), Junior Girls & Boys Under 15s (Orange), Senior Girls & Boys Under 20s (Red).

I support change in the relay format and especially to introduce red courses. I'm really looking forward to it. I just see this as an opportunity sorely missed.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz