maptalk.co.nz News   |   Events   |   Forum   |   Photos   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

New National Relay Format

Show Profile  o4life Posted: 29 March 2018, 11:23 PM  
With the new structure, our club, North West, can't put together a legal Mixed Short team & we have the third largest number of participants in the relay. PAPO can't field a legal Mixed Veteran team & they have the second largest number of registered entries for relay.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 April 2018, 7:43 PM  
That may not matter - is there a competition for combined results across all relay classes? I'm interested in whether people get what they want - which will vary from close competition for some, and a suitable run in a club team for all who want one. Can't wait for those TC evaluation criteria.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 April 2018, 11:00 AM  
So I was a bit of a skeptic regarding both the need to make changes to the relay, and the changes themselves. But I was pretty much won over yesterday. 4 exciting races with a decent sized field in each. And I can vouch that orienteering skills were tested more thoroughly in the new 'open' compared to the old 'mixed long'. And while I haven't looked closely at the data, it was my impression that there was not a significant number of composite teams or otherwise 'not quite official', not to the degree that I expected anyway. One thing to note is that with 4 races happening concurrently, being able to easily identify who is running what, and having very on-to-it commentary, become more important. ACW did an excellent job on the latter (I can't comment on whoever had the mike while I was in the forest but I'm sure if it was ECW it would have been just as good), while the race number 'code' used was good for the former - perhaps an additional band of one of four bright colours might have added emphasis?

No doubt there is some room for tinkering, particularly in regards to whether there is a need for an U18 (could be red or orange) OR (not AND) U16 (would be orange) division or whether the mixed short remains the de-facto junior competition; and whether modifications to age class restrictions for the mixed short would allow more older runners (especially from smaller clubs) to at least run in an official team. But please, no further partitioning of the senior age classes! (perhaps until we have a number of clubs that could field an 80+ team!)

BUT: while it's a thumbs up for the format, there's still questions to be raised about process. Should it be so easy for significant changes to be made to a national championship, and how do we make sure that next time someone has a bright idea about how one of our premium events could be improved, that it does go through a proper consultative process?

AND: I would still love to see an equivalent of the former mixed long relay reappear somewhere on the calendar - maybe a season-opener... if we could ever agree on what time of year THAT would be!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 April 2018, 12:06 AM  
Bit hard to comment with no results - or is that just me?

Show Profile  HidingControls Posted: 4 April 2018, 11:09 AM  
Having not run a lot of Relays (2) I have nothing to compare.

It wasn't until the last week that it became clear to me that a team could enter any course they liked (perhaps my lack of knowledge) as a non competitive team. Nor is clear to me what samll club (<30) means. Is that at the champs or is that overall?

So with an M16 and W18 we ran NonComp on the Masters Course. It would have been nice that it was official, so perhaps having Long, Middle and Short red relays could work with some caveat that 20/21E runners can't win the shorter distances??? The Masters course certainly suited the abilities of the younger Red runners.

From my watching the relays were exceptionally competitive in open and masters and a near three way tie for 3rd in the Juniors.

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 8 April 2018, 8:55 AM  
I thought that the relays were great. Maybe I am biased as our club managed a victory in the Open though.

In terms of the Open relay I think maybe 3 very similar leg lengths could be slightly better so there is more chance of mixing the order of where you run the women.

Also as above possibly some junior relay - whether it be 18's or 16's could be a good addition.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 8 April 2018, 11:08 PM  
It was brilliant to get back to red level orienteering, and I thought the courses, the run through, the different grades, and the whole package was superb.
Agree about looking into a junior categary, though.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz