maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

maptalk - standing the test of time

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 4 October 2014, 11:35 AM  
I disagree. Hard to navigate and resistance to change is not the same thing.
Read my points 1 and 2 above - If anyone tells me that is hard then I don't understand how they make it out of a forest in one piece.

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 5 October 2014, 12:07 AM  
You need to understand I am not the computer whizz in the family. I had to be taught where the 'Home' button was on the website. New to me that a logo duplicates as home.

Show Profile  svendp Posted: 5 October 2014, 1:25 AM  
I'm 83 and therefore not supposed to be computer literate.
However, I don't have any trouble navigating the ONZ website
It is different to other websites but it is just a matter of using it and getting familiar with it. No different to getting used to a new version of Windows.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 5 October 2014, 11:54 AM  
I think a few people just need to untwist their knickers and actually go to the ONZ site and spend a bit of time having a good look around. They will see that it is in fact a pretty good platform with lots of great content and potential to expand and grow with input.

I agree with others that the 'forum' part needs to stay here on Maptalk. I also think the 'events calendar' should just be in the one place, on the ONZ site, with a link to the calendar from Maptalk.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 October 2014, 3:30 AM  
Yip David Cunliffe wasn't wrong, the voters were wrong

Show Profile  nick Posted: 6 October 2014, 10:47 PM  
The Lemon Party has two members and received two votes. Outliers.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 6 October 2014, 11:20 PM  
Oh, btw.

I thought about Brent and Jamie's criticism of me. I will spare you the long explanation. Suffice to say that I've decided to back-off on calling for people to be respectful of other people's volunteer efforts when posting here. If people *really* think its that hard, well... I don't want to risk discouraging discussion. I hope people in the "its OK to be disrespectful so long as its my honest opinion" camp will apply the same criteria. Its easy to talk about accepting criticism, harder to do it for real.

I guess I'm free to chuck a few stones of my own now. Bilious invective coming your way soon. Isn't maptalk great?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 14 October 2014, 2:55 PM  
Suggestion Nick, if you can't take it, don't chuck it.

The ONZ website wasn't all volunteer effort. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there was something like $18,000 spent on it? ....most of that presumably on replicating the maptalk events database.

Time will be the judge of whether the ONZ site continues to be a lemon or not. Believe it or not I hope it doesn't.

The tag cloud must go, the forums must go (they're not going to get used), there needs to be some sort of social media integration and there needs to be something there to share what clubs are actually doing...that is where all the good stories are. The site as it stands misses the point that NZ orienteering is based on clubs.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 15 October 2014, 5:29 AM  
How about a printed magazine/newsletter??

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 15 October 2014, 3:00 PM  
well, the last person to be asked to be ONZ yearbook editor is still to be told through anything resembling official channels of its demise... (mind you he still has yet to recieve any material for it, either)

Show Profile  nick Posted: 17 October 2014, 10:23 AM  
Jamie, have you emailed your comments to: webmaster@orienteering.org.nz ?

Some way to share what the clubs are doing... You mean like the blog function?

Agree about social media integration - but - I think it's there - I see ONZ updates on fb and I'd assumed they are generated from ONZ site?

As for cost, I have no solid info. On the face of it, if we got away with $18k I'd be comfortable with that. Anyone know if the meter is still running as changes are made?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 18 October 2014, 1:03 PM  
Just as a point of interest Nelson and Southland have entered their events in the ONZ website up to May and July 2015 respectively. Auckland have inserted their Summer Series. Besides Tour de Peninsula and perhaps the City Safari not much else.

On the maptalk site not much except the last two.

Clubs should really be near confirming their event schedule for next year and starting entering them into the ONZ site. A club's health is based on events and getting people along. Not enough events and we all spend too much time on forums arguing.

As an aside, I'll keep coming back to maptalk forums. But these days I mostly follow club activity on Facebook pages, International on FB/twitter/worldofo site.

And to go back to the thread topic title - well done Maptalk (Fraser) on still being a relevant part of the NZ orienteering community.

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 28 October 2014, 3:46 AM  
A quote from a blog I read from time to time...

"The priority for participating on this forum is not the quality of the content. I ultimately don't care how smart or funny or observant you are. Those are plusses, but they're never prerequisites. The priority is on how you treat each other. I expect spats, arguments, occasional insults, and even inevitable grudges. We've all done that. But in the end, I expect you to act like a group of friends who care about each other, no matter how dumb some of us might be, no matter what political opinions some of us hold, no matter what games some of us like or dislike. This community is small enough, intimate enough, that I feel it's a reasonable expectation."

http://blog.codinghorror.com/what-if-we-could-weaponize-empathy/

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz