maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

maptalk - standing the test of time

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 September 2014, 9:25 PM  
I wonder if onz can pull the plug on its sites events and discussion modules. Fessing up to balls ups is a virtue.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 September 2014, 9:29 PM  
Is onz still paying for hosting Fraser? If not maybe time for another public appeal.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 16 September 2014, 2:24 AM  
Can't agree with the comment on events Jamie. ALl Waikato events are in ONZ site and the advertised automatic feed brings them through to club site. None of Waikato events are on maptalk. Why the heck would we want them to enter them in 2 places.??
I reckon map talk events should close down at the end of the year otherwise we are going to end up with mismatch event lists.
If maptalk events has a following, then perhaps it needs auto feed from ONZ website but cannot be edited direct... of course someone has to pay for that enhancement!

With regard forum... Hmm, I did try and get into ONZ forum but I don't think it has taken off. Perhaps we just need to change the format in ONZ forum to be less segmented and similar to maptalk forum (which would appear to be popular).

There was endless complaining about that ONZ had not changed to a new website... so now we have a new website... and OMG, we have change. Imagine that!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 September 2014, 2:50 AM  
Wanted a new website - not a new forum.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 16 September 2014, 10:01 AM  
Cool, lets have 1 website for forum... another for events... another for ONZ documentation.... another for photos.... huh!

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 16 September 2014, 11:05 AM  
The ONZ website should be the place for event listings - this is where new comers/overseas visitors will go first. Maybe maptalk can just use the feed from the ONZ events for its own events page (or just be a straight link).

As for a forum - I think this should stay at maptalk. Some of the topics/comments are not something you want on the face of NZ orienteering (the website). Bitching about selections, indepth mapping convo's and Brent pumping up his ability to smash everyone are probably not going to be too encouraging to people new to orienteering/orienteering in NZ.

Just my thoughts - probs no need to have 4 different websites though Rolf, would get quite confusing for people.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 16 September 2014, 5:03 PM  
Is there anyone in M35 for Brent to smash?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 17 September 2014, 2:56 PM  
Now that the ONZ website is live again, that's where I'd direct any 'new' people wanting to know more about orienteering in NZ to (assuming I can remember the url uner pressure!). But since its relaunch I've visited maybe about 3 or 4 times and am still close to a daily user of Maptalk. I suspect I'm not alone among the 'established' orienteering community in that respect.

Why? I don't need the shop window anymore, and everything 'New Zealand orienteering' I need on a regular basis is here... at least that's what I thought, it's disappointing to learn the event listing here may no longer be complete, so I'd like to see a feed from ONZ website. Because people are bascially lazy and creatures of habit, I suspect I'd be checking on coming events a lot less if it involved going to a website I wouldn't otherwise be checking.

As for a forum, why does the ONZ site need to host one, given that there is an established 'public social gathering place' with a long history of use? Maybe there is the place for ONZ to specifically cater for administrative or technical type questions... but regarding other discussions, I think I'm not alone in valuing the independence of Maptalk.

If it's too complicated for some to have different websites with different purposes, better start petitioning the ONZ web team to add the ability to run training logs and a review of all the international orienteering news to save us the hassle of also having to have attackpoint and world of o bookmarked on our browsers - I mean, that's a whole 2 extra sites....

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 17 September 2014, 3:40 PM  
Jamie, to answer your original question I am paying for the full cost of the hosting now. I am ok with that and it is not a problem at the moment. But thanks for the suggestion.

I am interested in any feedback on the events calendar and happy to look at making changes if there is any sort of consensus. I was thinking about listing some of the international races next year, especially if their are NZers competing.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 September 2014, 5:09 PM  
A single calendar is easier to maintain, and will be more reliable and comprehensive. A place to talk, well people choose according to purpose and who is expected to be listening. There can be many. I don't think young orienteers are using Maptalk much, or ONZ either:-))

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 17 September 2014, 11:16 PM  
I'm going to smash you Brent.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 September 2014, 1:51 AM  
You dreamers have about 100 days before M35 becomes far too competitive for you.

Thanks Fraser, you are a legend.

If NZOF had any respect they would have just used the Maptalk events feed and stayed away from having a forum, and then provided everything else we needed for an orienteering website. They didn't and they have ended up with a lemon.

The whole founding basis of Maptalk is that we could do a bit of straight talk. I'm not going to stop doing that just because all of the people associated with the developments are good bastards.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 18 September 2014, 2:32 AM  
As I understand it, maptalk events were copied into ONZ events list for 2014, so I am guessing that most clubs are not yet using ONZ site.
I suspect that we reach a critical point at the end of this year when clubs are entering events for 2015. Seems daft to me to have everyone entering them in 2 places and this will certainly result in mismatches etc.
Seems logical to me that events held under ONZ umbrella should be on ONZ website. Anything else would look a bit odd, particularly to external organisations who could be considering any funding applications etc.

Obviously Fraser is indeed a legend for providing this service for ever.... I reckon it comes down to Fraser, if he wants to 'compete' with ONZ events then by keeping maptalk events going he will make it hard for ONZ events to get going. Alternatively he can close maptalk events which will force the issue.

So what is it going to be Fraser!!

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 18 September 2014, 2:34 AM  
BTW... what happens if Fraser is run over by a bus or just decides he hates Orienteering and wants to play tiddlywinks. Then he closes maptalk. Then all the clubs scream at ONZ to provide a National event listing. Hmmmm

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 18 September 2014, 2:35 AM  
onemanfanclub. If you think your club events should be on maptalk, feel free to offer to enter them

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 18 September 2014, 2:37 AM  
And finally: Michael makes a good point. perhaps maptalk is like a newspaper. Young people don't read it!

The sad group of M35 who are still bashing each other on this site may be the last of the 'old generation'!

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz