maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

JWOC 2011 Middle Distance final

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2011, 2:00 PM  
NZ's best ever place in the middle Paul? Would be Tania's 5th way way back when it was called "short"

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 7 July 2011, 2:15 PM  
might be Paul D?
I need a newer, faster, bigger computer

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 July 2011, 2:27 PM  
final B final placings:
Nick 19, Tim 23, Scott 30 (40 secs between Nick and Scott!)

Selena 23, Laura 26, Anna 47

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2011, 3:05 PM  
With Jaime and Kate in, time for a cup of tea now. Some pretty risque comments getting past the admins!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2011, 3:56 PM  
Not Angela's day. But you'll live to run another. Well done Toby. And all.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2011, 4:00 PM  
And Matt!!! Lot of placings in under a minute between you!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2011, 4:08 PM  
Quite excited about the relay now. Historians, what's the best we've done at JWOC?

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 7 July 2011, 4:29 PM  
Whatever it was I'd say this will be better!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2011, 4:40 PM  
And, when you come home, you all oughta see about a nose extension.

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 7 July 2011, 9:22 PM  
Angela was dsq ed due to misreading a crossing point and short taped route to a spectator control. She should have entered a playing field by a large gate and followed a short taped route to the control. She didnt see the crossing point, but navigated to a small gate near the control. She entered the playing field through the small gate in front of surprised spectators. A polish person at the gate said something to Angela but it was in Polish. Angela finished her course and was dsqed after she finished. She was pretty upset about the outcome, but said she had made some errors on her course.

Relay tomorrow. Sounds like your coverage is variable. It is very exciting being at the event this year.
Ian and Raewyn

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 8 July 2011, 1:06 AM  
The Aussie team blogsite http://ausjuniororienteering.blogspot.com/
has a bit more detail about Angela's dsq.
It was a compulsory crossing point. Difficult to see in my opinion.
I would have made it a compulsory taped route from #5.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 8 July 2011, 1:55 AM  
Angela's dsq is wrong. Where was the iof adviser?
The route is marked as a navigate on the control descriptions. It is not marked as compulsory.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 8 July 2011, 2:16 AM  
That is my take on it too Robbie. This should be protested and her result reinstated!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 July 2011, 3:22 AM  
From what I can see I agree. Compulsory ROUTE would be (a) dashed line in the control descriptions and (b) dashed purple line on the map and I think (c) taped in the terrain. Doesn't seem as though any of these were there.

Brackets in the control descriptions is given as (with my emphasis) "mandatory crossing point OR POINTS". A high fence with two gates shown, I would think you are entitled to take your pick.

They haven't even made use of the purple brackets on the map which means crossing point, though even that is "A" crossing point and one would be entitled to use other gaps in the high fence.

And another thing: I don't think there's anything to stop you crossing a high fence (or cliff, or lake or piece of dark green) if you think you can manage it. Stricter rules apply for the sprint but this wasn't one. Adrian Zissos of Canada has thoroughly researched where you can and can't go, there's a discussion on Attackpoint somewhere. To outlaw the fence I think it would need the thick purple "uncrossable boundary" line overprinted on it, or a bit of purple striping around it. None of which was there.

And finally some people being turned back and others not is unfair as well.

What we don't know is everything in the bulletins for this particular event, including the managers meetings that they have. There might have been special instructions.

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 8 July 2011, 3:29 AM  
The purple brackets are there on the map - but next to impossible to see.
click on the map photo for a bigger version

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz