maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Winter Classic 2010

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 July 2010, 2:58 AM  
Wellington MTBers with a sense of humour have named one of their favourite single-tracks "Carparts", heh heh. I suggest a competition to name your new map. I'll lead off with "Karorimahanga".

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 July 2010, 3:36 AM  
Ok, I must confess.

Greg's comments was an opportunity to drum up some marketing and recognition for the event.

It may appear I'm a bit devious, but I have no regrets and I know Greg can take it.

Greg is correct in his reading because the promotion material says steep, green and lots of rubbish. On the other hand, I'm also saying there's some lovely open bush and lovely unique features.

Come and try it.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 July 2010, 5:37 AM  
Only 7 days left before close of entries.

Rogainers appear to be worse than orienteers in leaving everything to the last moment.

Entries are slightly up on last year but its too early to tell.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 30 July 2010, 5:43 AM  
Flynnamahanga

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 30 July 2010, 1:55 PM  
How about "Kar Pieces", in honour of Karori and Car Parts...

I am going to be gutted if you make this easy Bryan. Surely a Winter Classic planner should never utter some of those soft hearted words you did a few postings back.

I didn't meet Wayne Cretney, but from what I have heard, he would be rolling in his grave.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 July 2010, 3:03 AM  
Aha, I'd say "Karparmahanga" will take some beating.

For those outside Central Districts or who who discovered orienteering after 1987, a brief history. NZ hosted the Aust-NZ Challenge that year, and the individual was run by Hamilton OC at KAPAMAHANGA, which is sort of on the way to Raglan, except not on the main road. Not far from "Old Mountain Road" if you've been there. It had lots of native bush (some quite passable but very low vis), it was extremely steep, it was cold and pissing with rain, and there was an uphill finish. There were about 40 DNFs and if it hadn't been a challenge there probably would have been more. It went down in NZ O history as the meanest event of all time, spawned Bryan's jokes about fertiliser, copycat map names ending in "mahanga", and once the Aussies got home they produced a tee-shirt "I survived Kapamahanga".

Results (check out the times): www.orienteeringresults.com/O/nzof/ShowEvent.asp?Event=ANZ87&Description=1987&Count=258&

Jamie you woulda loved it.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 31 July 2010, 3:20 AM  
After all the work in producing the Kapamahanga map, HOC didn't use it again for a major event (to my knowledge). It sure is outside the norm for "running navigation" but I can see "jungle events" having an appeal to the overlap between orienteering and rogaining and adventure racing. Which is just what Bryan is doing with the Winter Classic. (Though the use of "Classic" here is a classic misnomer!)

Hamilton, do you still have any copies of Kapamahanga? And has the area changed much? Hint, hint.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 2 August 2010, 12:34 AM  
Don't worry Jamie, the operative words were 'a little bit' and I mean only a little bit. There is still a good chance that the courses will end up being a bit long.

On Saturday, I was 'running' a course and in the bush did about 3km in 60mins.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 2 August 2010, 2:08 AM  
I am backing Brent for this event - well at least to beat Jamie! Can you start a 'book' on the event Bryan?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 11 August 2010, 12:53 AM  
Late Entries still coming in and numbers are a little bit better than last year. Most winners from last year coming back for more and a few contenders will give them a run for their money.

Programme now available:
http://www.winterclassic.co.nz/wc/programme.pdf

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 11 August 2010, 9:30 AM  
I have been ranting in a similiar manner to Bryan about Aucklanders(generalisation) and their moaning about anything that's not as white as Woodhill not bing worth having. We need more tough maps in NZ if we want our juniors prepared for JWOC (not to mention WOC preparation). And I have to say that parts of the world masters terrain were some of the roughest I've been on for a while. If you're thinking about Europe next year the winter classic might just be the best prep you can do...

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 11 August 2010, 2:36 PM  
Jenni, I almost choked on my decaf non-fat soy latte when I read what you had to say about Aucklanders. Don't listen to her, fellow Jafas, she's just trying to take the shine off your lycra.

Actually, the rest of the post sounded pretty much spot on.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 August 2010, 4:28 PM  
Kapamahanga, all is forgiven?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 August 2010, 1:15 AM  
Wrong again Jenni, the best training for Europe, is well, in fact going to Europe, not some shitty Wellington suburb

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 12 August 2010, 4:30 AM  
Reserve your judgement, Greg - wait until you see the maps next week when they are published after the event. You may be surprised but I'm not expecting much from you. In my opinion, Wellington is lucky to have this on their doorstop and I hope will ensure that youngsters from our area will have an advantage over other outside youngsters for generations to come.

Quote from my 2008 Winter Classic Race Report: 'The Hard, The Tough and the Dirty':

'Selectors take note - these youngsters are ones to watch for the future - and maybe one day in the JWOC or WOC they will benefit from the Cretney gut-busting events where they will be able to call upon those last reserves and ounces of energy to go onto glory.'

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz