maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Winter Classic 2010

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 26 May 2010, 1:35 AM  
Where have all the orienteers gone!?
Well I hope they will come along to the 24th Annual Winter Classic and Wayne Cretney memorial.

This event should attract Orienteers because:
- it's close to town in the Wellington suburb of Karori
- it uses public parks and bush never before mapped
- News and details can be found on the updated website www.winterclassic.co.nz
- this event will be bigger and better this year - tricky navigation as hard as it gets catering for all orienteers, rogainers and adventure runners with some wonderful scenery and control sites - plenty of running in the bush with some open areas and rock features, and a tricky pine/bush mountain bike area with numerous tracks
- the theme for this year is 'Deliverance' - you will go out into the backwoods and go through all sorts of pain and adventures and finally be delivered back to civilisation at the end

Quotes from last year:
Michael Wood:
'Wayne would've loved it. Dunno what he would have thought about today's race clothing tho. In winter he just wore two singlets... '

Pete Swanson (Winner Wayne Cretney M40):
'That was one hell of a race - 7.3kms in 2 1/4 hrs!!! Finished covered in scratches, cuts, bruises, even gorse scratch to one eye, but loved every minute of it!

Jamie Stewart:
'yeah likewise! I was learned by Jason and Bill (never even got close to them) but enjoyed every minute of it...
Shows what can be achieved in a crappy wild terrain map, maybe the age of flat open orienteering is over and we will head back to the jungles...
Our course was over 10kms, around 1000m climb and ensured that I spent the afternoon completely broken...just like you should be after an orienteering race!

Jason Markham (Winner Open Men):
'This Classic was certainly tough. I made several poor route-choice decisions up steep slopes, despite Bryan's warnings, and I paid for them mentally and physically.

What I liked most about this year's event was the city location. I got to explore an area I have rarely visited. I didn't have to drive for hours to take part and I can go back there to train whenever I like. The map is also accessible- it only took me
30 minutes to collect the dozen furthest controls - which is an advantage for event planning. And the event centre had parking and all the basic facilities of a sports venue. I agree the Wellington terrain is tough but we are fortunate to have several areas like this around the city.

Yvette Baker (Winner Open Women):
Many thanks for all the hours you must've put in to organise it. It was great to visit an area of Wellington I haven't been to before, and great to get a map in my hand and 'race' again, albeit with more walking and bush bashing than a Brit is used to!

Greg Thurlow (Winner Rogaine Challenge):
Great course, so much up and down& I tried (to get them all) but Not quite that good!
Sorry I couldnt end up collecting controls, ended up working till midnight last night.

Nigel Corry (2nd Challenge):
Great course too, many thanks for organising the three hour event - extremely enjoyable ferreting up and down all those bush clad streams and gullies!

Glen Warner (3rd Challenge):
Cheers, was a great course with some fantastic control placing's. I'm enjoying getting back into the Rogaine'ing after a couple of years off.

Great map
Fantastic Controls
Loved it

Liz Nicholson( Involved in at least 20 Winter Classics  Winner W40 six times, winner Open Women, Winner Course 3 and 4, planner and organiser)
Even though I took forever to finish the course, I still enjoyed it. The area is really great.

(Thats what I like to hear  you all had a great time, enjoyed it, despite the pain).

And I guarantee you will remember this year if you come along.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 26 May 2010, 4:42 AM  
Fantastic Bryan, you've got me excited - I'll definitely aim to be there! Hopefully I will have recovered from last years race by then as well!!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 27 May 2010, 8:56 AM  
There with bells on.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 27 May 2010, 2:38 PM  
Careful Bryan.....

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 31 May 2010, 4:53 AM  
Detailed map information available:
http://www.winterclassic.co.nz/wc/DetailedMapInfo.pdf

The goats on the map may be attracted to Jamie if he wears his bells.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 20 July 2010, 12:28 AM  
Sorry Brent, I accidentally deleted your email before I put your details into the entry database. Can you please email them again.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 20 July 2010, 3:11 AM  
Done.
Jamie you are going down.

Show Profile  Bryn Posted: 20 July 2010, 11:48 AM  
Brent your gonna get smashed! Even i would beat you!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 July 2010, 1:26 PM  
Bring it Bryn. You are a joke Brent. Next thing we will learn that Greg Flynn is coming down...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 July 2010, 1:53 PM  
Dont worry Jamie bashing around in steep green shit full of city rubbish is not my idea of fun

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 21 July 2010, 12:48 AM  
Ah Greg, you are so non-PC that you end up being soooo PC.

Steep and green? yes... but some flat bits and most controls in open or slow run bush or pines. Route choice will have green options
just to tempt you.

Full of rubbish? yes... ah but what rubbish - some of the 'rubbish' control sites are: rusty truck, gunpit, car graveyard in bush, ruined barracks, old concrete water outlet, rock cairn, old ruined water tanks.

I remember a long time ago I put on a training event in Ngaumu forest
for the squad (which the Aucklanders asked me to do) and noone turned up from Auckland - it was ideal weekend to train on different terrain to Woodhill. I was a bit peeved so I wrote in the squad newsletter about the 'Woodhill syndrome' (basically a rant about how the Aucklanders would never become worldbeaters if they only ran on sanddunes).

As I say in my info sheet, I guarantee you will remember the event and I'm sure you will have fun.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 July 2010, 3:44 AM  
Lighten up Bryan. The colours on the map I mean.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 July 2010, 12:47 AM  
I won't lighten up when someone slags my event. See my point of view - I'm trying to promote my event and orienteering and it's not helpful when someone says the event is 'shit' and full of 'rubbish' and turns people off when I know that the experience for most people will be exactly the opposite.

I will lighten up the courses, Michael. The courses are a little bit shorter, a little bit less climb with a few more easier stretches than last year (but of course in the flavour of the event there are some nasty bits as well).

I will lighten up in regards to excrement. Here's an article I wrote in 1994 on Onet:

O Article #9

And So It Was.
by Bryan Teahan

(Substitute the grottiest map you've ever run on for "Kapamahunga"
below).

In the Beginning there was Kapamahunga. And Kapamahunga was without
Form, and contained many assumptions therein; and the assumptions
were void and incorrect; and so Kapamahunga was without function.
And darkness fell upon the countenances of the Mappers and other
Loyal Subjects of the great Club and they spake unto their
Committee Members saying :-

"It is a crock of shit, and it stinketh to high heaven."

And the Committee Members reporteth the abundant dissatisfaction
to their Assistant Administrators, and spake unto them, saying :-

"It is a crock of excrement, and none may abide the odour thereof."

And the Assistant Administrators then did provide consultation unto
their Administrators and they spake, saying :-

"It is a container of excrement. And it is very Strong, such that
none may abide before it."

And the Administrators then passeth this information upwards, and
they spake unto the Assistant Organizer, saying :-

"It is a vessel of fertiliser, and none may abide its strength."

And duty thus taketh its natural course, and the Assistant Organizer
spake unto the Event Organizer, saying :-

"It contains that substance which aids growth. And it is very
strong."

And the Event Organizer declareth at a meeting of the Association :-

"It is of such substance that doth promote growth. And it is very
powerful."

And the Chairman of the Association did go with great confidence before the President and Council of the whole Federation and he spake unto them, saying :-

"Kapamahunga is an Area of Great Power and will surely promote the
growth of Orienteering."

And the President and His Council did look upon the Area, and saw it was Good, and they proclaimeth :- SO BE IT!

And so it was.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 July 2010, 1:42 AM  
I think you need to learn to read Bryan, I said the terrain was shit and full of rubbish, not the event (but if the shoe fits). Also note I said not MY idea of fun, there are plenty of weirdos out there that would probably enjoy steep, green shit, full of rubbish, but I'm not one of them.

I think you should come up and run at an event in Woodhill, mapping is near perfect, terrain is awesome, clean, fast and mostly flat and best of all there are miles of maps so no need to go anywhere else.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 30 July 2010, 1:51 AM  
I love these handbag throwing antics, great entertainment!

I guess I have to profess to being one of those wierdo's that likes steep shitty terrain too - despite being an Aucklander - can't wait Bryan. I just hope you haven't softened it up too much, cause I thought last year was perfect!

See you there...

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 July 2010, 2:25 AM  
You are missing my point, Greg, whatever way I or anyone else may read your words or intimate from them. You are making a judgement from afar. It may turn people off the event which will be a shame.
I wouldn't comment like this on one of your events.

I remember Auckland and Woodhill well - I mapped Beautifull Hills in some of the steepest, greenest Terrain imaginable, and the elites at World Cup 1 in 1994 came back shell-shocked (Alister won the event by doing 10km in over 100min)

I'm sure Wayne is smiling about this Winter Classic, so don't worry Pete.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz