maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  

WOC

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 24 August 2009, 12:10 AM  
Good effort Chris, awesome!

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 24 August 2009, 12:46 AM  
yeah chirs! awesome, the speedy haircut obviously paid off in the finish chute!

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 24 August 2009, 2:00 AM  
Great run Chris.17th is awesome.Not many orienteers in New Zealand will understand how hard it is to achieve such a result.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 24 August 2009, 2:09 AM  
So stoked for you Chris, it was awesome to watch.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 24 August 2009, 2:23 AM  
Fantastic Chris - wish I'd been in front of a computer at the time, but it's been almost as much fun reconstructing by scrolling through the above comments...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 24 August 2009, 2:30 AM  
Congratulations Chris. A new benchmark that will be very hard to attain (except perhaps by you next year?).

I'm not so sure Jenni. The IOF need to change the 2 min start intervals for long - I guess done for TV but neither Finland or Norway broadcast the events live (as they had done for the middle and sprint).

When a person who is around 20th when he is caught ends up with a bronze medal and never punched a control ahead of his running partner ... falls outside the definition of mutual benefit imo.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 24 August 2009, 2:54 AM  
Congratulations Chris. Amazing results. Plus a great effort from Ross in the Sprint to back up after the 10th at the World games.
NZ hasn't had such glorious performances since Head Honcho retired.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 24 August 2009, 3:39 AM  
Fantastic Chris, look at those names around you. Those llllllooooong leg options must have been food for thought, and the hill climb to No. 1!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 24 August 2009, 4:51 AM  
why would you not follow Hubbman if you could?

should you go the wrong way and loose time deliberately?

If he got in front of you, and you were busting a gut to keep up, do you think you would really be able to beat him to a control?

Mamleev has been a damn good orienteer for a long time, good on him.

In NZ we just need to forget about miracle runs and the finer points of orienteering ethics and get strong, fast and good, so we can start getting some tows and getting some medals.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 24 August 2009, 4:53 AM  
Yep on Mahmleev, I hadn't actually seen the splits and Carsten said it's being widely talked about on the Danish o snak saying he was a few seconds behing on every control. He was definitely the weaker partner with the most to gain. It's definitely true that 2 mins is too small a gap and makes it happen more often. (Although maybe you could argue that it's fairer as then everyone has more of a chance to catch and be caught, rather than if you just start before a particularly strong (or after a particularly weak(less strong!))person). It's certainly not the first time that people have been aided by running in groups and it can help the stronger one as well, not sure how much help Hubman needed but I think it would be safe to say that running with someone else helped him as well.

Didn't Chris catch and run with Klas Schaguler? Don't know if it helped or not but usually it does, not so much in finding controls or the way but just in the pace and confidence you can run with. But there's also been lots of times when someone out in front on the long night at tiomila does faster all on their then the pack running together behind (and even when there's no gaffeling) - it's usually when it's Jarkko Huovila out in front.

So the point? Not sure! Mostly that yep in this case I'd say that Mahmleev got a big tow but also that it helps both parties and it's happening all the way through the results list. Greg Barbour did have an idea that they should make a rule that if you got caught you had to stop so as to make it individual only results! Somehow I don't think that's going to come in.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 24 August 2009, 5:55 AM  
I disagree Jenni - having Mamleev around him made no diff to the winner; Hubmann already had a 1 min lead over Tero when he caught Mamleev at control 10. (Chris and Klas weren't together that much - about 4 controls early doors, Chris got away before being caught up late.)

Jamie, its not a finer point of ethics, its a major source of irritation - Finland protested last night, Sweden protested over a similar incident in 2005 (and there are many "celebrated" earlier examples).

I'm not getting at the athletes - as you say, what can they be expected to do? Initially I was just querying Jenni's term of "mutual benefit" which was clearly not the case.

I'm getting at the system where there are 2 minute intervals for long and, in the case of last night, pathetic course setting when it came to the forking system supposedly designed to break up pack running.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 24 August 2009, 6:00 AM  
I guess you could argue that Mamleev earned that starting position in the final from his performance in the heat.

Ideally the start interval should be set so that following the race winner is highly unlikely to earn a medal. Assuming that butterfly loops effectively double the start interval, in the long distance finals from the last five WOCs a 2 min start interval would have allowed a follower to get a medal on 3 occasions (2 men, 1 women), while a 3 min start interval would have yielded no medals for followers.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 24 August 2009, 8:07 AM  
First NZ man to reach top 50 in the current World Ranking scheme?

Show Profile  francesmwall Posted: 24 August 2009, 8:37 AM  
Looks like I'm gonna have to start preparing your nomination for Sport Canterbury Awards AGAIN Chris......
Fantastic effort, never mind Onemanfanclub, several members of your femalefanclub very excited here tody.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 24 August 2009, 10:09 AM  
HeadHoncho, what about the butterfly loop course setting was pathetic? Just that the loops didn't work well in practice, or something specific?

The loops didn't work at all for Kauppi and Niggli. They looked to be quite early in the course, but Simone had already caught Minna by the start of the loops, and they reached the final pivot at the same time.

Are there some "rules" about setting butterfly loops to maximise their pack-breaking function?

In my experience, butterflies add a significant distance to a course, as well as an organisational load with map production and allocation, so it would be good to know tips for designing them to make them really effective.

Sorry, this might be better directed to a new thread, but I guess it's a big deal if the gold and bronze run and finish together in both men's and women's races, and the women weren't effectively separated by the course loop arrangement.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz