maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Internet Q&A

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 19 February 2009, 1:57 AM  
I think what we are trying to achieve is getting maps in the hands of as many people as possible, regardless of whether they are club members or not. The more people interested in maps etc it should result in a lift in club membership. Granted not all will join a club but some will.

Putting contact details for clubs from the area that map is from is another way to get club's contact details out there.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 26 February 2009, 5:27 AM  
Any ETA on when route gadget will be available? I'm willing to post Waitangi Hapua courses as soon as it is going. I see in the maptalk links that there is a www.routechoice.co.nz site but it only shows maps from Aug last year.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 March 2009, 5:40 AM  
Good to see the interest aroused by Bryan's map portal proposal. In the here and now we're getting regular enquiries for maps and want to go ahead with a more basic system to make some of our maps available. It should flush out some of the issues.

See www.ohv.org.nz, About the Club, Maps, Downloads. Comments welcome.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 March 2009, 5:45 AM  
I should probably have a date in there.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 March 2009, 2:52 PM  
When we think about the use of these maps eg by teachers, would they be more useful with a course on them, or as blank maps?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 September 2009, 3:23 PM  
Following up a matter on another thread I see that the geocities web hosting service is closing down on 26 Oct. The clubs that have used geocities will be making other arrangements; and if they have been using a domain name to "front" the site most visitors will be unaffected.

This is aimed at webmasters. On my websites I have a lot of links to clubs. Often a page I link to has a complicated filename so I copy-and-paste it without really looking closely, and as a result I get something like www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Sideline/3369/eventresults/2009McleansMTBO.txt (actual example). After PAPO moves its website, I doubt if links like this will work.

So first a request: how many clubs are on geocities at present?

Second a warning: a similar situation exists with the OHV and WOA websites in that they are hosted by www.mapsport.co.nz. If you link to OHV then its better to use the address www.ohv.org.nz which will insulate you from any hosting changes. If you link to WOA use woa.orienteering.org.nz (no www).

I'll do something about the MTBO, Rogaine and Ski-O websites soon - they belong on the NZOF website.

Show Profile  owen Posted: 14 September 2009, 6:13 AM  
North West was on geocities but as of Friday we moved to a local hosting service provider in Auckland (and before anyone asks, no this wasn't why we've been offline for the last day or so!)

Our domain name remains the same, nworienteering.org.nz

Note that as we're hosting the Auckland Champs (*plug*) this weekend, everything is also (temporarily) available on geocities just in case anyone accidentally goes there instead of to nworienteering.org.nz

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 16 September 2009, 2:26 AM  
well, we will move to a new server then but will keep the papo.org.nz. should probably do this soon huh.

Show Profile  Jude E Posted: 16 September 2009, 7:32 AM  
Our domain name is papo.org.nz and should be the address used anyway. It does go to www.geocities.com/paponz which was our old address. Had forgotten it was closing so soon so we will move ours asap, although we are getting a new site pretty soon thanks to one of our elite orienteer members. We better get organised!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz