maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Whatever Happened to...?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 September 2007, 5:34 AM  
Toby Carter?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 12 September 2007, 11:43 AM  
Managing or chef-ing a restaurant in Sydney last I heard. Possibly a high endish one. Maybe if you know how to get hold of Hub you could find out which one and see if you can score a free meal en route to Canberra. You could start at the top of the menu and Toby at the bottom, and meet in the middle...

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 12 September 2007, 1:19 PM  
should that be MEAT in the middle

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 September 2007, 1:31 PM  
OK Juan-Mann. Wot about Stephen Leary, the Ross Morrison of the 80's?

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 13 September 2007, 2:50 AM  
Didn't Stephen have a very bad paragliding accident or something? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I would have said Peter Hill was the Ross Morrison of the 80's - fantastic orienteer with little apparent effort. What happened to Peter?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 September 2007, 7:14 AM  
Thinking of all those talented Wellington region juniors of the late 80's ratpak era, funny (or depressing?) how the only one who's still orienteering more than once in a blue moon is the one who completely missed the athletic talent bus...

...though there may be a few living overseas still orienteering - Toby for example was at the last Oceania's.

This message was edited by onemanfanclub on 13 September 2007, 3:19 PM

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 September 2007, 9:28 AM  
Peter H was outstanding for sure

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 September 2007, 9:59 AM  
looking waaaay back... my junior days were faught mainly between the likes of Simon Clendon, Mark Brighouse, David Kraakman, Andrew Smith, Michael Syben.
Not sure what Simon C is up to(I think he runs marathons) but he was a fantastic talent and very nice guy, as was his older brother (the late)Tom Jnr who still I remember vividly and fondly. Mark B; I'm pretty sure I've seen him anylising financial news items of international significance on TV. David K; My 8yr old son came home from school earlier this year and informed me that the father of a classmate of his used to run with me, turned out to be David.
Don't know what happened to Andrew S.
Michael Syben owns a dairy farm in Tokoroa and hasn't seemed to of aged much! He's into soccer, touch footy and squash along with my brother Kevin.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 September 2007, 10:20 AM  
Warning to all juniors...
My, how the tables can turn!

a brief flick back down memory lane to when I was a junior I recall on occasion beating Al Landles, Rob J, ACW, to name a few. Later it became far less frequent to the point of near impossiblity.

Keep a watchfull eye on all your competition as a junior, don't take anyone for granted as plenty of people can come from behind and blow you away if you're not on your game!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 13 September 2007, 11:06 AM  
Peter Hill has just bought a house in Michigan, USA where he's been for a year or two now after moving from Germany where he was based for a few years. He's some sort of project manager for BBS and has a wife & 2 children. He does quite a lot of para-gliding.

Show Profile  still lost Posted: 14 September 2007, 11:16 PM  
Stephen Leary is alive and well in Ecuador where he's an exploration geologist (gold). He worked in Romania for 3 years, Sth Western Australia before that. His home base is Quito with wife Larisa. Still climbs, skis, sails, fishes when he gets a chance. No O for years (pity). Will be watching the world cup!

Show Profile  Peter Hill Posted: 15 September 2007, 7:35 AM  
My spies are still out there! Thanks to AL for his update.

I am indeed here in Michigan, USA, where I have bought a picture perfect peice of the American Dream. We have deer grazing every evening in the back garden, and miles of mountain bike trails at our doorstep. My gorgeous German wife Sylvia and I have two boys, Orlando and Sebastian.

Moving to Michigan came after a job offer with EDS, where I have worked for in NZ, Germany and now here in the USA. There are one of the worlds largest computer services companies, and I currently work as a project manager installing large internet business systems for General Motors.

I gave up orienteering very intentionally in 91-92 ater much thought. Officially I wanted to concentrate on my career as a designer, unofficially I was sick of the gruelling training and ever present risk of injury necessary to keep competing at world champs level.

I never regret the decision, because, like leaving a great party at just the right moment, I only have fantastic memories of the great friends and great times I had. Once my boys are older and we move back to NZ, perhaps we'll be back.

You can check out the paragliding Alistair mentioned at http://community.webshots.com/user/optimax or some thoughts and photos at my blog at http://optimax.wordpress.com/

Keep on course...

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 16 September 2007, 7:21 AM  
Neil being slow and gimpy

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 September 2007, 2:58 AM  
Great to hear from Peter in person:-))

Now what about (this goes back further)... Frank Smith??

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 November 2007, 9:20 AM  
Harking back to the top of this thread, was great to see Toby at the MTBO in Australia recently. Now working for the IRD or whatever its called over there. Wasn't riding seriously, but Hub and Lyn were.

Now what's Les Warren up to these days? Does he still belong to HOC?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 November 2007, 1:55 PM  
Yeah Les still belongs to HOC, well this year he did.

But he has given up orienteering due to a growing enthusiasm for genealogy.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz