maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Potential Orienteering Map database.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 9 March 2007, 1:41 PM  
Greg, don't be sorry, gloat all you want because your time will come when your incapacities with overcome your modesty.
Shhhh... don't tell too many people about the stealth mission.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 11 March 2007, 12:36 AM  
Mangapahue Natural Land Bridge

Bill's comment:
There is a brilliant area on the coast road (a few miles west of Waitomo caves on Te Anga Rd) a few miles past Waitomo. The area is adjacent to the Mangapohue Natural Land Bridge. This natural feature is remarkable - and would pose quite some difficulties in mapping! It is surrounded by limestone infested farmland with depressions and many natural rock formations. Across the road was young forest planted on similar terrain. This forest was quite young when I last visited the area - but that was quite some time ago as I have now spent many years living in Lund (Sweden), Aberdeen and Wales since then.

Adjacent to these wonderful areas was also a large amount of runnable native bush. I managed to obtain 10m contours of this area. It is even more interesting than the surrounding farmland and forest. However, it is owned by the local
tribe, so may present problems concerning access.

Bryan's comment:
Looking at the topographical map, the area near the intersection of Hauturu Road and Te Anga Road looks good too. I've added a marker
on the potential maps page.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 12 March 2007, 1:04 AM  
From Bill:

Hi Bryan,

I am still having some problems posting messages. My email has been verified,but it still fails to post the message saying I cannot do so until my email has been verified.

Could you post the following:

Some other potential areas in the Waikato area:

- Kawhia (north of previous map)
- Taharoa (Forest to the south of Kawhia)
- An area midway south off the Raglan road. I think it is somewhere near Aramiro. This was young pine forest the last time I looked, so it would probably be an excellent venue now.

And what about Northland? There are huge areas of sand-dune forests just waiting to be mapped.

Cheers,
Bill

Show Profile  addison Posted: 13 March 2007, 3:29 AM  
Hi Bryan, is there any chance of Bill being able to put tags onto the potential database of the bits hes talking about. I am having trouble seeing the Raglan Rd one, but I think I have found it, just not sure. A bit further east than Aramiro, with it being an individual block as well.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 March 2007, 4:43 AM  
TONGARIRO NP:
Something different? I remember running on the mountain marathon, way back in the day, around Tongariro. There were some very cool spots in and around the lava fields, and I mean very cool. Don't ask me how to set up an event centre there though. I'll mark them on the Potential Map database, one you can zoom in and see some detail, just south of the Lower Tama Lake (2-3sqkm), the other much larger area is between the Oturere Hut and the Emerald Lakes. You can't see detail on the google map for this one.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 13 March 2007, 5:27 AM  
PORONUI STATION: Out on Taharua Road.
Looking at the google map site I think it would be very worthwhile someone looking into this one. It looks like the trees have been planted on farmland and there are also areas on intricate gullies. The area is in private hands, they do fishing and hunting trips to the rich, who knows, they may love a free map in exchange for occasional use.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 13 March 2007, 6:08 AM  
Wow that Poronui Station area does look pretty neat.

I don't know about the national park, logistics as well as the fact it is a national park tend to prevent orienteering taking place there.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 March 2007, 11:17 AM  
Not enough info on the Google maps or photos to navigate to Waimanoa (Pureora forest) but I've added a few of the other spots I've thought of to the map...

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 13 March 2007, 11:42 AM  
I've taken a stab in the dark at where the road to the Pureora forest lodge was and added a tag.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 March 2007, 11:30 PM  
Anyone ever looked at the forest behind Matarangi?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 March 2007, 4:38 AM  
Rolf Bowells Mahia discoveries look interesting, two maps very close to each other. both only about 3sq/km each at a stretch. Camping grounds and YMCA camp just near by.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 March 2007, 8:52 AM  
Looking at some better photography it appears that there could be another area similar, possibly better that Waihora, about 2km due south, on another landcorp farm. Marked on the Potential mapsite.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 March 2007, 11:32 AM  
Great work Paul.

Might have to get you to come down for a weekend and to go on a mega mission if you are keen? Maybe force Kev to come!!

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 16 March 2007, 5:42 PM  
Are there no new areas near Christchurch?

What about the beginning of the access road to Broken River Ski Field? I had a quick run there with Chris a few years back. Quite thick in places but good enough for a sprint or middle distance. Could be quite good too as the map would extend on both sides of the access road so good spetator(sp) viewing.

Or maybe up by Frog Rock, there is quite a lot of rocky sections on the other side of the road, perhaps this could be another good map. On farm land I think.

Is there anything out Oxford/ Lees Valley way?

What about the old Castle Hill map, are we allowed to run on that now that Doc own Castle hill?

Anything on Bank Pennisula?

What about further south near Timaru, I know there is one great map there (I'm not sure if Carsten finished mapping it all) but is there potential for more? I know there is climbing at Hanging Rock, this area might be cool, lots of limestone cliffs and boulders. The land owner seems okay with climbers so maybe okay with orienteers.

There must be some potential for maps on the west coast (probably wouldn't get used that often but would be awesome for a weekend of orienteering. Could be a yearly Papo event or something.

Edit: There should be possibilities for maps between Hoki and Kumara and a little bit inland, flatish native bush if I recall, it would just depend on who owns it. But it is definitely worth a look, perhaps even just a topomap would give some indication of potential.

Edit2: There is some forest between the Sign of the Kiwi and Wolsley(sp) Spur. I'm not sure who owns it but I was in there a while back climbing and there could be some really good orienteering. Technical and low visibility for a lot of it but would be a lot of fun I think. Access into the forest it quite tough as the forest and scrub is very thick at the edge. Quite a few small cliffs and open sections plus reentrants galore.

This message was edited by Greig on 17 March 2007, 2:37 AM

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 March 2007, 4:31 AM  
Hi Simon ! With Pinelands club now ancient history I gather the areas I have highlighted can be used by any club willing.
Yeah it would be good to have a look into these area's. The Poronui Station would require some telephoning as there is no access to the poperty without permission.
If you are REALLY KEEN I could try to arrange something, Saturdays I take my boys to sport, my wife is busy at her business, and late sunday afternoons is the start of my working week. Probably taking a Sunday off work would be best. I could crash at your place on a Sat night to get an early start on Sunday??? It would be one hell of a flying mission though! Kevin is pretty tied up to the farm.

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz