maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

European Champs

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 11 May 2006, 2:48 PM  
Jenni 14th, Tania 7th and Carsten sitting in 7th. Tania made 2, 2 minute mistakes before the first radio control. Still not running flat out but starting to get the hang of the terrain. But check out Yoko Bamba (JPN) qualifying 16th in her heat. I'm picking there'll be a few europeans wondering where they can hide.

Show Profile  Eponine_ Posted: 13 May 2006, 6:12 AM  
Photo of Tania and Jenni amongst others...

http://www.6prog.org/iof/wc2006/news/openstory.asp?id=31&next=&prev=&vp=y

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 13 May 2006, 6:39 AM  

The country of mothers:
New Zealand has two participants in round one of the World Cup, and both are mothers.

"To take part in the World Cup is the best kind of preparation before the World Championships in Denmark", says Tania Robinson. She says she needs good events with hard competition.

Tania is mother to seven year old Caden. She is away from New Zealand for two weeks. That's given her time for a lot of competing, training and also sleeping. "I am sleeping ten hours a night. I never do that at home", she smiles.

The other Kiwi mother is Jenni Adams. She is in fact living a bit closer to Estonia than Tania. Stockholm is the home for Jenni, the Danish elite runner Carsten Jørgensen and their little child.

http://www.6prog.org/iof/wc2006/news/openstory.asp?id=36&vp=y&eid=

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 14 May 2006, 9:59 AM  
If anyone wants to see some video from the relay there's one here: http://etvsport.ee/index.php?0534231 (click on the news item called "Otepääl lõppesid orienteerumise Euroopa meistrivõistlused").

You get to see the closet men's finish ever - 10 teams in the first minute; and Simone getting beaten by Minna.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 14 May 2006, 12:35 PM  
does anyone know the story about the wrong control descriptions in the long final?!?!

Show Profile  Eponine_ Posted: 14 May 2006, 1:05 PM  
In the women's race...

"There was also some controversy, the course had the "butterfly" loops to try and split up the runners, and it transpired that some of the women were given the wrong description sheet for their forking."

I don't think anybody has protested???

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 14 May 2006, 1:23 PM  
It can't have affected Sweden too badly

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 14 May 2006, 2:28 PM  
i heard about 1/3 of th field got the wrong ones, incl tania

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 14 May 2006, 4:50 PM  
Yeah Tania was a little bit gutted as she was just starting to get the hang of reading the terrain. But she got over it, by the time she clicked what was going on there wasn't much she could do except finish the race and put it down to experience.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 14 May 2006, 9:07 PM  
Actually half the field got the wrong descriptions (all those with odd numbers) including both Tania and me. It was the pivot control of the butterfly and its actual number was listed as belonging to the next control so both Tan and I thought we'd gone off our bearing and ended up there (couldn't work out how but thought there wasn't time to analyse that...) They looked kind of the same as both were marshes and about 50-100m apart. We tried to go from there to the "correct" place and it nearly fitted but of course not quite and it took a while to click. It seemed so unlikely that they could get it wrong at a World Cup that we didn't think of that. It also didn't help me that I'd caught up Juliette 4 minutes at that stage and we were together at the control prior and I went straight to the problem control and she curved into it, didn't hesitate about it being the wrong number and ran out so I thought she'd already been to the one I needed to go to and was onto the next. But actually she just didn't check her control descriptions! There were a few other odd-number people who were unaffected because they didn't check their descriptions or there was someone else there with them who'd already lost time who told them but along with me and Tan who lost time there was Vroni and Minna who lost about 5 minutes costing Minna the silver instead of the bronze. Also there were a few who gave up because it put them off like the Russian I met there after I'd realized. She joined me in shouting at the people at the control for a while! It was amazing that it wasn't protested but I'm glad because the organizers had a put a lot of effort in and apart from that the course was good and fun. And if I take that split out (and a bit off the next long leg when I was convincing myself to carry on and enjoy it) I have an OK time (think would have been about 95 and Tan would have been about 91) so I handled the orienteering OK just not the surprises!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 15 May 2006, 4:22 AM  
Don't agree Jenni - any controller worth his salt should invalidate the course without waiting for a protest.

Sorry to have to tell you also your record at the Routebourn Classic got beaten in the weekend.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 May 2006, 4:56 AM  
And by a Finn...

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 15 May 2006, 4:20 PM  
Don't think I held the record because the year I did it I got second to the woman who later that year got the Kelpler record but I can't remember her name.

I know that I have differnt opinions on protesting than others and won't start that discussion again. But I guess it seems that many of the others competing on Friday have similar opinions to me although I have heard that there were a few angry women afterwards.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 15 May 2006, 11:07 PM  
Jenni, I don't have a problem with your opinion/stance on protesting.
I have a huge problem with a controller allowing a result to stand in such an obvious case of invalidation, just because no protest was made. See www.houseofhoncho.blogspot.com

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz