maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

QB Weekend

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 6 June 2006, 4:21 AM  
Check out the changes in the IOF World Rankings after Queen's Birthday weekend. Pretty stoked to see a lot NZ orienteers back on the list.
Huge jumps from lots of orienteers; Karl 258 to 120, Neil from 539 to 213, Michael Smithson from 1147 to 389... and the list goes on. The women have made some huge jumps as well. It means that before the end of July we could have up to 10 women within the top 200 in the world (just before some of the women loose last years WOC05 points and after some of the JWOC team have gained points from a WRE at JWOC).
I'm not sure but with Tania moving up to 39 from 44, is this the first time we've had someone in the top 40?
We just need to make sure we continue to have such well run events and give everyone the opportunity to compete for world ranking recognition in their own country. Well done NWOC.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 6 June 2006, 9:17 AM  
Some race reports from an Aussie perspective.

http://www.orienteering.asn.au/

http://www.nswstingers.com/5days

And information about the Australian 5 days in January.

Show Profile  andrew b Posted: 6 June 2006, 10:24 AM  
Glad most enjoyed the format of the weekend. The idea was to give you as much bang for your buck as possible. Unfortunately the Nationals is limited in its format so it was a chance to try something different for a long weekend.
The chasing start is something we havent tried for a while and as always sport ident has its pros and cons. By using a set time of 1.30 plus the morning time we were able to basically trick it into thinking there had been a mass start at 1.30 so when you crossed the line we had a cumulative time. As always fine in theory but getting the start lists formated took some trial and error. Having said that 260 people got away at the right time in the end.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 6 June 2006, 11:26 AM  
Who is Ross Kerrison? He sounds good.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 June 2006, 11:54 AM  
SI has a chasing start function, its really easy.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 6 June 2006, 12:07 PM  
i know and thats what we used at waitangi, which is why i am bewildered. the chasing start we did was the easiest thing that weekend (much simpler that the one person loops event thats for sure!!!!)

Show Profile  andrew b Posted: 6 June 2006, 12:19 PM  
Will check it out. Would it have meant each class ie 30 people starting at the first start time or just the fastest off each course?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 6 June 2006, 12:23 PM  
just dusted off the waitangi files and it's only the last stage that can be a chasing start with sportident..

with waitangi there was no overall competition so it didnt matter. i can see what the difficulty was now.

Show Profile  davem Posted: 6 June 2006, 12:43 PM  
Yeah thanks to NWOC and all the guys over for a top weekend. Every race was great (especially the women's ). A quick question, i lost my maps on the way home, who would i get in touch with about maybe getting any left overs? Such great races i wanna have the maps to look back on and show everyone!
Look forward to seeing you in QLD in August and NSW in Janurary

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 7 June 2006, 3:36 AM  
We'll get some maps to you if you can give us an address. Glad you enjoyed the weekend, and we hope you bring more Aussies with you next time. You had a superb race on the womens course a.m. Sunday.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 7 June 2006, 3:45 AM  
Yeah Dave, would you like the womans or the mens map sent to you!

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 7 June 2006, 5:34 AM  
The next major North West event is the Auckland Champs on the 23rd and 24th of September, which Marquita and I are setting/controlling on a never mapped before area, which will be faster and less technical than the southern Woodhill areas. Some of it is so flat that 1 metre contours would be scarse. After the successful comeback of the chasing start shorto, we are thinking of repeating that for one day,at least for the elite runners.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 7 June 2006, 5:55 AM  
Hell yeah, bring back chasing starts

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 7 June 2006, 6:03 AM  
hell yes. just because it doesnt fit into nationals anymore doesnt mean it cant be used at other big events.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 June 2006, 9:41 AM  
I don't know of any reason why the middle distance at the nationals can't have two races with a chasing start ... for most people.

As I recall, when the middle was first introduced, two races was the norm. There were some variations, but the chasing start in the afternoon was most common. Then came a nationals where the organisers said, we've got a club which can do the middle, but they are small, they can only do one race. That was agreed, in fact it was a great event. Particularly since it allowed time in the afternoon for a combined park-sprint race and awards ceremony. But I digress.

However other clubs took this as a precedent to save work (and two races in one day DOES take extra effort). There have been very few doubles since then. But I don't think there's anything in the rules that says the national middle champs should be a single race rather than the combination of two. Or the national long for that matter, heh, heh.

With the exception of M and W21E. At the request of NOS, in order to better replicate conditions at WOC, the squad asked for a single middle race with a 30min winning time. That was granted. The rule doesn't seem to relate specifically to the nationals actually. So will we be getting complaints about QB being a double or has the squad thinking changed?

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz