maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

m/w17 - 20e

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 17 February 2006, 12:14 PM  
Yeah, those Aucklanders, they're all soft. Can't even compare them to a true Southern man.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 February 2006, 2:49 AM  
I can hear the r's rolling off your tongue already fraser

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 February 2006, 5:48 AM  
and the e's rolling on the floor ...

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 18 February 2006, 5:49 AM  
i have to disagree with the mountain bikers thing paul, id like you to say that to sam bewley. i am quite sure he would break you. probably in half. i never said people at orienteering were weak, all i said was that people needed to get over worrying about wether they can handle a course. if you can hack it train more or do another grade.

im glad a touched a nerve with old mr addison, dont complain about us not using maptalk if you can take a bit yourself when we do decide to use it.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 18 February 2006, 5:51 AM  
i should have phrased that last post better, only some people need to get over course lengths.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 18 February 2006, 5:54 AM  
i honestly cant see why your against the whole 17-20 thing. your almost too old anyway. in my opinion it will help to lift the standard of juniors and thats a good thing for everybody isnt it?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 February 2006, 7:57 AM  
You think you touched a nerve with me? Trust me your not even close to it. Once you do touch a nerve, I will be the first to let you know.

Thomas, there is a massive difference between not seeing something because you dont want to, and not seeing something because its not there. In this case your not seeing the other side, purely because you dont want to. Not only do I suggest opening your eyes to the other side of the story, but I also suggest you open your very one-sided mind.

In this World you can have the greatest idea out and there will always be people who will not be for it. Its a fact of life. Basically the more controversial it is, the more people there are against it. In this case I am not against your idea, I am quite honestly on the fence. However the way you are putting across your argument makes me tend to lean towards the other side.

You have not given evidence of any indepth analysis of the costs/benefit of your proposal. You havent taken on board others arguments. You just sit there and the moment people disagree you try to tell us to all harden up.

I dont really respect people that will do things for themselves at the cost of others. Have you thought about the 10ppl below you that this proposal does nothing for?

The benefit of this grade combination would be for the top couple of out M18's. After that the benefit for other runners declines and even goes into deficit (or cost). Therefore you must match how much it benefits the top couple, relative to how much it costs the rest. IMO it costs too much at this present point in time, because the overall numbers are not strong enough to sustain a completely independant grade other than the new 'Elite' grade.

Then comes another cost, being possible workload on organisers. This is a bit of an unknown because as mentioned earlier you havent yet put a proper thought out proposal out. In this day and age people will complain about any additional workload. In respect to my proposal of a centralised database for events there are people complaining about something that would take all of 20mins to post their whole years events! So you start to see my point.

All I can say tom, is use that thing in between your ears which is also known as a brain. After using your brain, you might actually give me some reasons so that I can contemplate if this is actually a good idea.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 18 February 2006, 7:40 PM

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 February 2006, 8:47 AM  
That is way too long to read. Can someone post a summary?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 February 2006, 11:16 AM  
think you nerve me?

difference, not seeing something because you dont want to, and not seeing something because its not there. you not seeing other side, also open one-sided mind.

this World, great idea, people against it. I am on the fence.

no analysis. others arguments. people disagree you tell to harden up.

I dont respect people.

benefit top M18's. others deficit. overall numbers not strong enough to sustain 'Elite' grade.

another workload on organisers. unknown as no proper proposal.
my proposal, centralised database for events, complaining about something that would take 20mins to post events!

use thing between your ears. After give some reasons

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 February 2006, 11:24 AM  
And Mt bikers are cool, but only those that don't have Idrives

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 18 February 2006, 2:11 PM  
Watch it Mr. Flynn....

I seem to recall my i-drive beating your epic recently.

This message was edited by Marquita G on 18 February 2006, 10:14 PM

Show Profile  Kate Posted: 20 February 2006, 1:30 PM  
If increased competition for "junior elites" is done through grading changes to 17-20e there will be a deficit to those not at the level of the top 5 or 6.

1) those who run up and shouldn't. physically and/or technically unable to cope. possible demotivation, worst case senario drop out altogether. best case senario, have a great time anyway, enjoy spending 2 hours on the course, keep running the grade and improve, also turn to rogaining and/or multisport/adventure racing.

2) those who shouldn't run up and don't.run an alternate grade. there are now a few people in the "b" grade, similar to current situation. those in "b" grade feel left out and uncool, possible demotivation, worst case they drop out. best case, they stay in "b"grade til they feel ready then run what ever grade they next want, be it 21a or 17-20 e, whatever. This happens anyway, often in the girls grades, when people start orienteering at 14/15 years old and need to start easy.

what about the superficial change to w/m 20e like at waitangi? but include 20b and 18 a and b, when numbers allow. increased hardness for those who want it, option to run their usual course for others. no extra work for organisers, just call 20a 20e instead. added prestige, media hype possibilities, fancy score boards etc.
of course the peer pressure to still run up applies, but it does any when, when top juniors decide to runup under the current system.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 February 2006, 10:43 PM  
Thank you for the summary Mr Flynn. Didn't understand a word of it. I think you may have a future as a rapper.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 February 2006, 1:58 AM  
Engineer, technical reports are to only have usefull information in them, take out all the crap and connecting works. If it doesn't make sense you get better marks ....??

Show Profile  addison Posted: 21 February 2006, 3:45 AM  
Thats Engineering at Massey Albany for you.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz