maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

WOC Japan

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 July 2005, 2:52 PM  
First group flies out tomorrow, rest on Saturday. Keep us in touch on here guys. Best wishes.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 26 July 2005, 1:48 AM  
Advanced party touchdown, into typhoon (well it looks like its raining pretty hard from my hotel window)

Pretty sticky

Might try and avoid camping tonight

Brents grumpy

Love Jamie

Show Profile  DJ Posted: 26 July 2005, 9:13 AM  
Yeh, well if it's any consolation it's been in the 30's consistently for the last month here in China and the low hasn't dropped below 25

Very humid

We experienced a typhoon last week, avoiding camping for a while might be a good idea

Good luck in Japan

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 26 July 2005, 11:32 AM  
Interesting article from Jamie Stevenson and co.

http://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/Jamie12.43.7/doc8.pdf

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 27 July 2005, 5:07 PM  
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/wp200507.html ...bad weather on the way out to sea again.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 28 July 2005, 2:07 PM  
Just thought I should say to be wary of the stomach bug thing that seems to be going around Scandinavia (it seems Carsten and I might not have had food poisoning but a tummy bug thing from the number of other cases that we have heard report among orienteers and others.) I'm not really sure what you can do other than the normal precautions for staying well and so I wasn't sure about writing anything. But it would be such a bummer to get it at just the wrong time that I thought it was worth giving the team a heads up about it.

Good luck and have fun!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 29 July 2005, 12:43 AM  
Email from Darren says NZ team on TV 3 sports news Sat night. Out filming them yesterday (Thurs) on One Tree Hill. Be wary - sometimes weekend sports news is full so item may be on tonight or they may hold it until early next week. So keep watching until you see it.

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 29 July 2005, 6:02 PM  
I followed up with the reporter today, he's pretty adament he's given us a 2 minute feature, TV3 Sport,Saturday night. We'll just have to wait and see.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 30 July 2005, 7:20 AM  
The boys checking in, just being training for a few days and discovering things Japanese style.

Maps are pretty tough but not quite what expected, runnability is generally not that bad.

Mr and Mrs Yamabiko campsite are nice, food might be interesting, about a week to dday, wicked

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 30 July 2005, 7:23 AM  
It is exactly what we expected actually, hot, humid, hilly, tough to run and nice. Jamie is right with one thing...Brent is constantly grumpy

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 30 July 2005, 10:56 AM  
TV3 did a no show

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 30 July 2005, 11:07 AM  
Who cares about the bloody TV refs

Show Profile  John Marshall Posted: 31 July 2005, 7:25 AM  
Groupie #1 is now in place in Tokyo. No sign of last week's typhoon.

Amazingly hot and humid -- you mean we have to run in this sauna? -- but it has been suggested to me that it will be not quite so sauna-like in Aichi-ken.

Happily the public programme came out a day or two ago, and my entry actually got in on time and it tells us how to get to the campsite. There's some chance that the instructions are even vaguely right and I will figure out how to find the bus from Shinshiro :-)

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 31 July 2005, 12:43 PM  
Nice work Tania and Darren - nice little bit of coverage and advertising, hopefully the start of whats to come for NZ Orienteering.

Show Profile  James Posted: 31 July 2005, 1:04 PM  
Nice to see coverage using elites rather than some random 'its a great family sport' character! Shame that the whole article was 'staged' rather than a look at what the sport is really like! im refferring to the two of them running side by side, i mean its gonna give out a false perception of the sport! then the cheesy comments at the end...............
well they do say any publicity is good publicity!!!
so big ups to whoever managed to jack that one up!! before the item even aired,i had 5 txt's from friends(who dont give a damn about sport,especially orienteering)letting me know that it was about to come on! awesome

Show Profile  mark Posted: 1 August 2005, 1:04 AM  
Was that story about orienteering?
I thought it was just about people bitching about money.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz