maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

WOA OY 2

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 19 May 2005, 2:43 PM  
i'm keen to learn - about setting good courses and making good maps - is there anyone who could give some tips or teach some of the concepts involved?

This message was edited by Martin on 19 May 2005, 10:44 PM

Show Profile  James Posted: 19 May 2005, 3:42 PM  
GEEK!

Show Profile  James Posted: 19 May 2005, 3:47 PM  
just kidding!
I know that there are such things as controllers clinics.
I went to one about 4 years ago.
seem to remember that heaps of the super talented course setters and controlers were there, taught everyone heaps, and were there to pass on all their knowledge and answer questions.
but the clinic was over a weekend, and has to be run by an 'A'grade controller (i think?).
There are quite a few logistical matters to sorting it out, so dont think they happen too often!
but when they do , they rock!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 May 2005, 3:36 AM  
All I know is that I found it easier and more convenient to plan courses when I could just go to someones house pick up some maps, draw a course on them and put some controls out.

We are not all technical wizards Chris (as you playfully informed me last night) neither do we all have access to cheap colour printing. A lack of either of these things (particularly the latter) may explain why not everyone is prepared to organised low key courses/coaching sessions at the drop of a hat.

By the way wicked course last night and good effort putting those controls out.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 May 2005, 5:17 PM  
Jamie when I wondered aloud about the way that technology might discourage running simple orienteering at the drop of a hat, the opposition was deafening... (It was in the context of whether electronic punching was vital at the Carrington sprint.)

I still worry, especially when I go past sports fields after work and I see teams who've probably just had to turn up and find the ball. We do need limited supplies on the shelf for this sort of thing. Or the technology to print on demand in the field.

And normally the safety margin in the print runs for larger events like OYs provides that. As OY1 in a similar location had 128 starts, printing over 200 for OY2 would usually be adequate. The map needs some serious work, we're not going to print 2000.

Now for tomorrow's MTBO (with no variations of the map) I've printed 150% of expected numbers. Will it be enough???

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz