maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Sprint-O

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 October 2004, 5:16 AM  
The proposed Sprint-O event has just finalised a map, and therefore all event details are falling into place.

Details are:
Overall Co-ordinator: Martin Peat
Planner: Simon Addison
Controller: Alistair Stewart
Map: Carrington (to be updated)
Date: Friday 7th January

Therefore we announce the embargoing of the Carrington Map to all elites for training and racing purposes. This includes the Summer Series event in December.

The reason for this is that this event is primarily for elites but will be open for all to compete. Elites will have staggered starts before all other competitors.

Any questions, queries or smart remarks... feel free to post here on email me or martin.
sja13 AT waikato.ac.nz
martinpeat AT hotmail.com

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 15 October 2004, 12:37 PM  
Sport Ident?

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 15 October 2004, 2:43 PM  
If its not being used for either the test or super series whats the point of embargoing the map.

Surely the people in charge of the test and super series can see the effort that has gone into making this a proper elite event and get over the fact that the 'paper work' isn't right - political bullshit

Show Profile  darren Posted: 15 October 2004, 2:59 PM  
Just a thought. In Aussie a couple of weeks ago we ran a sprint race (one of the test matches) which was bloody awesome. They started the elite fields first there too. The later starters in the elite fields were able to gain some big advantages (many seconds - which is a lot in sprint racing) by watching the early competitors. They could gain knowledge on control placement, route choices, winning times...etc.
You say the event is primarily for elites, but if you make it a highly visible race, as it should be, then you automatically disadvantage some.
Why not make it an open race, limit the numbers and start the elites last?
Why can't it be a test match? Surely the Aussies will be keen to have another go at us in sprint racing, seeing as we whipped them last time!!

Show Profile  darren Posted: 15 October 2004, 3:00 PM  
Just a thought. In Aussie a couple of weeks ago we ran a sprint race (one of the test matches) which was bloody awesome. They started the elite fields first there too. The later starters in the elite fields were able to gain some big advantages (many seconds - which is a lot in sprint racing) by watching the early competitors. They could gain knowledge on control placement, route choices, winning times...etc.
You say the event is primarily for elites, but if you make it a highly visible race, as it should be, then you automatically disadvantage some.
Why not make it an open race, limit the numbers and start the elites last?
Why can't it be a test match? Surely the Aussies will be keen to have another go at us in sprint racing, seeing as we whipped them last time!!

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 October 2004, 3:52 PM  
Thanks for the comments Darren, they are valid and we will discuss them closely.

Bureaucracy is the reason why it cant be a test match, we were a bit late confirming everything. The test match rules between NZOF and OA means that test matches need to be notified several months in advance. At that date we hadn't received permission to use the Unitec campus, thus the event could not be confirmed - permission was only granted this morning! Badge status had also not been applied for at the time, this was the other reason given by those high up.

Despite the disappointment of not being a test match, we are hopeful of it being included in the SS, and the National Squad has been advised that this is quite likely (but to be confirmed).
Nevertheless we aim to hold a top class event that will be spectator friendly and great fun. We have put forward a proposal to the Carnival Organisers for Sport Ident.

This message was edited by Martin on 15 October 2004, 10:57 PM

Show Profile  addison Posted: 15 October 2004, 4:13 PM  
Basically everyone was keen for it to happen. A sprint race as one of the test matches would have been perfect from both a competitor point of view as well as a publicity event promoting orienteering. It looks as though it will have to be an 'unoffical challenge'.

We threw up the idea of having this event back when it was pointed out that the demand was present to hold such an event. A gap in the carnival was there to be filled and Martin and I are going to fill that gap. We realised it could also be used as a fundraising event for our JWOC trip to Switzerland in 2005. Test match status was on the cards, and it seemed as though all who actually were involved in the test were keen for it to happen. But we do not dictate the rules for test matches.

The sprint race was emitted because it was not a confirmed event. The other reason is that Martin and I are both young with little experience in holding big events, and there were probably some doubts as to our ability. That is why I am the planner as I have had more experience with events, the last being the very succesful NZSS Champs this year. We are very thankful for the support we are receiving from the Stewarts.

We could not apply for any NZOF-level status as we had not heard back from Unitec. Therefore "within the guidelines set down by the Test Rules for advising the events, the event cannot be included."

The event was therefore emitted because it would be out of the rules, and therefore I suppose it could be protested about. Actually the whole test match can be protested if you follow the rules as strictly as they are being followed. This is because OA was not notified about the proposed events by NZOF within the time frame set out in the rules. So in a way its a bit of hypocracy, but life isnt perfect.

It would be very nice to have the event recognised in some way. We applied today for event status. Seen is that for the reasons stated above it was not added as a test match, now that they have and are being dealt to we are very hopeful of it being included as part of the Super Series. Either way as long as it has the backing of all elites by YOU guys taking part, it will be a great event and a great day. Its more up to you to let people know what your opinion is on what you want the event to be as we can only do so much.

p.s The big decisions are being made this weekend, so if you have anything to add, time is running out. Your thoughts are very important as things like Darren has just said are helping us a lot and Darren after consultation tonight with Martin we will probably start elites last.

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 16 October 2004, 11:40 AM

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 16 October 2004, 2:44 PM  
Well done for organising this at short notice guys.

Why doesn't NZOF send a note to OA and ask about making it a test at short notice? Bureaucracy is a poor excuse. I can't imagine any of the elites on either side objecting (even the old slow ones like me).

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 17 October 2004, 3:02 PM  
I agree eric, there are some rules that can be bent for the good of the sport.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 October 2004, 3:33 AM  
Choice, can't wait for the race hope it is super series.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 19 October 2004, 10:15 AM  
I hear that in Australia, a program was used that like plugged into sport ident and told you straight away who was winning, how long people had to come in to win etc etc.

Anyone know what this program is / where we can get it?

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 20 October 2004, 8:23 AM  
It was called "Speaker Support" I think it is included in the SportIdent package of programs.

I used it in Australia for one of the races, it's pretty self explanatory to use and really useful for realtime results. You just need to hook up a laptop for the commentator. The laptop plugs into the network of computers at the results tent.

I think Mick Finn was using a version of it at the Sprint race during this years Nationals.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 20 October 2004, 2:09 PM  
It's also possible to plug in finish and spectator controls to a computer and get finish/intermediate times immediately. Requires a COM port cabel from a special SI unit.

If anyone has any network configuration questions about running SI - feel free to ask. Have in the last 3 years built networks of 10+ computers running SI for my club here in Sweden.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 21 October 2004, 5:46 AM  
Actually, I think the program was called Blair Trewin.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 22 October 2004, 3:09 AM  
Quick update.

Event has been given status as a NZOF A-Level event. The only thing we are now waiting on is sport ident news from NW, after this details and entry forms will be distributed appropriately.

Approx timetable of day is:
11 - 12.30/1 non-elite grades compete with 30s start intervals. No mass starts like previously planned. Elites required to stay in a certain area.
1 - 2.30/3 elite fields compete, with 1 minute start intervals.

The thing that must be emphasised, is that Elites MUST pre-enter. This will let us sort out the ranking order, and allow us to program everything so it runs smoothly.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 October 2004, 6:24 AM  
Hey Simon,

Why not let the elites stand anywhere...then it makes it fair, the elites get to watch their club mates and a carnival atmosphere is created with people dancing and singing in the park?

Will you accept entries over maptalk - pay on the day, if so consider me entered.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz