maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

2005 Oceania Orienteering Carnival

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 7 September 2004, 5:46 AM  
What's wrong with acquiring a few skills?
A little bit of learning usually saves time in the long run.

Personally I find OCAD makes planning events and training exercises much easier. I've had several friends using it to plan training exercises and it only took them about 10min to learn how to us it.

I don't know anything about SI, but I'd imagine that kids could probably use it if shown how.

However I agree that events can still be worthwhile even if they are rather basic. (Although personally I have little desire of doing a Rogaine if there are no controls).

Chris

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 7 September 2004, 3:16 PM  
Basic SI easy, I was taught in a crash course in 10 mins in a tent after Nationals, OCAD easy, picked it up without even being shown how to use it, and surly being able to print out your own maps and adjusting them yourself is easier than having to go to someone's house and pick up a pile. (esp when you have to travel at least 30 mins each way to do that, theres an hour of time, anyone could have mastered OCAD and SI in that time)

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 8 September 2004, 1:03 AM  
The sprint race sounds like an excellent idea.

I don't think anyone who lives in Wellington is qualified to comment on wether or not to use Sport Ident. You guys can stick to your old school ways of organising events and leave it to Auckland to organise the quality events.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 September 2004, 1:39 AM  
I'll certainly defer to the Auckland knowledge and experience with SI.

I'll just say that using low-tech methods a club that just about folded 6 years ago has run 30 rogaines and pioneered a branch of mapsport that in terms of hours on your feet is beginning to rival traditional orienteering. Although I don't know the full story, the one rogaine that used SI was deficient in other areas, like getting all the controls in the right place.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 8 September 2004, 4:29 PM  
Michael: we were planning on having say me be setter, martin as controller. But as the importance of this event looks to increase because of it being given other status's, obviously we may have to change those plans.

Sport Ident in my eyes is a must. But its an organising issue that needs to be dealt to and this will be bought up at the NW meeting on September 24th im sure. The ball is in their court.

Martin: that map you emailed me looks alright, got any others that are suitable?

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 9 September 2004, 8:04 AM

Show Profile  ericm Posted: 14 September 2004, 2:47 PM  
My 10c worth.

Sprint will be an excellent addition to the carnival. But only if it is a proper race.

You can't have a proper sprint race in my opinion without electornic punching. It can most definitely be the difference between winning and losing.

Simon, guys, thanks for taking the initiative with this idea. I'm sure all the Aussies will be keen to participate.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 September 2004, 1:44 PM  
An update:

- After quick chat at latest Auckland OY, we have agreed that Western Springs is not really suitable for a Sprint-O using Sport Ident because of high numbers of random people and the possibility of controls being stolen.
- Martin be in charge of updating map, Me setting courses, Working on a controller
- Waiting on NWOC meeting on 24th Sept regarding SI, but is quite likely.
- Event will possibly be used as a Test Match / Super Series. Still to be finalised.

Random Question here. I hear that for the SS Competition, NZ is picking an A team and a B team. Is that true? And is Australia picking a A and a B team as well?

This message was edited by Simon Addison on 16 September 2004, 9:59 PM

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 17 September 2004, 12:50 PM  
what ever happned to the good old fashioned hageby? or even the night o... or a variation on that.... a nude night o.... oh the possibilities are endless.

Use SI. It kicks arse and I think we should use it as much as we can. Why dont more clubs have it. Why dont they use it at schools too?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 September 2004, 1:52 PM  
Maybe because it costs a lot of money?

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 17 September 2004, 3:27 PM  
The simple answer is too many people mispunch, there is no clear way of knowing which control you are up to and it is too advanced for some, but Si kicks arse and they should still use it for schools despite all these problems.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 17 September 2004, 3:30 PM  
How is it any different to knowing where you are with normal punching?? The number is on the control, you have the number on your control discriptions (and most of the time on your map) There is also no excuss for mis punching, the control makes a bleep and a red light flashes.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz