maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

What would you do...

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 14 November 2003, 1:51 PM  
Fraser: I'm the only one who is complaining about it because I'm the only one who made the 'mistake'. And by the way, I'm M16, this may have caused confusion (not sure?). This means I was on course 9, with about 5 other people. One guy I was talking to realised it just after he punched the control, the others said "hey yeah...true".

Also, thanks for the advice on what to do in future. As I said, I have never before come across a faulty map, so it was entirely new for me. So does this mean instead of having one attack point I choose two or three....just kidding.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 14 November 2003, 3:32 PM  
look............. stop crying and get over it. I had a crap run on saturday because i was sick on the course (sorry guys) but then on sunday i just had a crap run, you dont see me complainging that i thought the short o couldve been a classic so get over your problems consoladate your losses and stop stirring, you stared the thread about nats and look where that got you......

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 15 November 2003, 2:30 AM  
Fraser asked why I was the only one complaining about it. So I answered. David, Just because you couldn't handle the run on sunday, wasn't exactly beyond your control. I agree that I've dragged this out so I'll stop it because David is getting moody.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 November 2003, 7:39 AM  
Don't be the whinger David. Pauls comment was justified, he got some good feedback and hopefully this will help him handle the same situation better in the future.

Jenni, there is a time and a place for protesting. I would never protest a "weekly event". In fact the area champs and similar level (eg ANZAC) events are probably the only ones I would consider protesting. And I disagree that all planners and controllers realise their errors just through negative reaction. I would like to remind you of the Canterbury Champs at Craignmore a few years ago, when the controller instead of invalidating course 1 gave an elite runner a random 10 minute time advantage, ignoring the other competitors.

Standards need to be kept up at events that hold themselves up to be of high quality.

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 15 November 2003, 1:25 PM  
one word...... sorry

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 15 November 2003, 1:39 PM  
I think we need to come up with a very straight forward complaint/protest procedure so these things work themselves out. who hasnt heard the saying we learn from our mistakes...... Oldies (sorry again) have protested in the past and can remember past actions but us youngins dont understand or know the process. Maybe its time it is more clearly known and displayed at large events so those who aint sure will find out........

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 November 2003, 1:46 PM  
It IS straightforward. RTFM!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 16 November 2003, 10:08 AM  
David do you want your teddy bear?

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 16 November 2003, 11:15 AM  
Wats a teddy bear got to do with anything.........mr dux

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 17 November 2003, 5:29 AM  
Every serious orienteer should have a set of NZOF Rules for Foot Orienteering. The rules are easy to read and understand. And those who consider complaint/protest should know the procedure for doing so. If not, ask one of the oldies at the event.
At a major event last year someone handed the controller a note of protest regarding a misplaced control. Neither the competitor/s, the planner or the controller knew the correct procedure to be followed as per NZOF rules.
And, as Michael says, the rules are straightforward.
The rules can be found on the NZOF web site.

This message was edited by Svend on 17 November 2003, 1:37 PM

Show Profile  MAMBO339 Posted: 17 November 2003, 5:41 AM  
Nice comeback david.

Show Profile  alice inn wonderland Posted: 17 November 2003, 5:41 AM  
i want your teddy bear simon

Show Profile  Dave Mcc Posted: 17 November 2003, 7:47 AM  
Thanks Svend you were all right. I went and had a look and its pretty straight forward. I think the major problem here though was Paul was unsure of wat to do in these sort of cicumstances and he wanted some feed back which you guys kindly did because you have experienced it yourself. You can always learn something new and theres no one person who truley knows it all but hopefully paul you will in the future be more confident into a control and of your surroundings.

Show Profile  alice inn wonderland Posted: 17 November 2003, 1:56 PM  
dave you poof

Show Profile  PaulS Posted: 18 November 2003, 5:15 AM  
Thanks for repeating what everyone else has already said David.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz