maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

WOC 2003 Switzerland

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 July 2003, 4:46 AM  
Don't forget the Czechs in the men's relay. My memory may be faulty here but I'm sure at least 3 of their squad (Jedlicka, Lucan and Ropek) were in the bronze medal team in Tampere. And if the map sample at the link above is anything to go by, they and the Swiss will get more of an advantage than the Norwegians or Aussies.

My guess (emphasis on "guess"):
1 FIN (just), 2 SUI, 3 CZE, 4 RUS, 5 NOR, 6 AUS.

& the women:
1 SUI (by a mile), 2 FIN, 3 SWE, 4 NOR, 5 POL, 6 ??GER? (if the other 2 runners are anywhere near as good as Schmalfeld)

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 3 August 2003, 6:23 PM  
Old and similar maps of the races can be found here:

Classic qual: Link
Classic final: Link

Sprint: Link

Middle qual: Link
More possible middle: Link
And more similar terrain: Link
(The Middle final is a new area)

Relay: Link and Link
The relay before the race was moved was going to be here: Link

These were found here: http://olswiat.republika.pl/woc.htm and http://www.staff-valstad.com/

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 4 August 2003, 1:43 AM  
Some of that middle distance terrain looks more than a little like parts of Waiuku/Kawhia ... Woodhill even....

Go KIWIS!!!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 4 August 2003, 6:03 AM  
Chris has got the draw from Nam

Mamleev, Smola and Jonasson are the trio 2 minutes behind him. Not that I'm advocating following of course...

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 4 August 2003, 2:05 PM  
Found this photo of a couple of ugly surfers Link

You can find information about all the competitors by clicking on the "teams" link at the top of the "live services" link to the right on here Link

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 4 August 2003, 2:40 PM  
Tan 7th in her heat! Rach and Chris 15th! Three qualifiers and maybeRob J who I can't find??

Carsten 2nd

Go PAPO!

(well Rach was a member when she was selected)

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 4 August 2003, 3:05 PM  
The new team O'suit: Link Link Link

Edited by - alistair on 4/08/2003 23:12:38

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 4 August 2003, 7:33 PM  
Qual. Results: Link
Splits: Link

Chris seems to have had many smallish misses of not greater than about a minute - obviously kept cool when something went wrong - and qualified, congratulations!

Greg lost a couple of minutes in the controls 4 - 6 and then 4 minutes on 15. A couple of smaller misses of around a minute in the later controls too. He too was running fast enough to have qualified with a relatively clean run.

Looks like Rob made a 4 min error on 8 then a 6 min on 17 not to mention a few 1-2 min misses, pity as otherwise he seemed to be running fast enough.

Tania only seems to have missed a minute on a couple of controls. Congratulations!

Claire missed quite a bit on quite a few controls - certainly a good learning experience.

Rachel made 3-4 1 min errors and a 3-4 min one - scraped through in 15th place. Congratulations!

The big upsets (of those who should've qualified but didn't) for the day were: Valetin Novikov (RUS) who's been sick. Felix Bentz (SWI) - who apparently got a hole in the head? Marian Davidik (SVK), BJ (AUS), and Morten Fenger-Grön (DEN) who had the fastest time but must have missed a control. Couldn't see any women who missed who shouldn't have.

Am not going to try to pick any winners for Wednesday in this terrain - too fitness and bingo control (those nice single boulders on steep hillsides in green) dependant. Could be any of Mamleev, Wingstedt, the Swiss, the Nogs, the Finns, the French, - ousiders: Carsten, Jamie, Yuri, Modig, Johansson, Gabor. Yeah - well - that was practically half the field :-P In the chicks - Simone or Marie-Luce and if they miss, Hanne or Karo. There are plenty of outsides there too...

Sprint tomorrow - that'll be a lottery. Interesting that Yuri decided to run the classic and not just the sprint - must be fit and feeling confident.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 5 August 2003, 12:55 AM  
From the message on my answerphone last night I think Morten got some sort of injury after falling on a tree stump so I don't think he had the fastest time at all but dnfed.

I'm relieved that living in NZ can't have affected Carsten's fitness or o-readiness too much - but Wednesday is the real test...

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 5 August 2003, 1:13 AM  
Jenni>> Morten coincedentally ended up with an unofficial time just ahead of the current winner which was why I wrote what I did.

Novikov was dsq'd becasue he left the quarantine area when he shouldn't have. See: Link

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 5 August 2003, 2:15 AM  
Maps and some route choices are here: Link

Sprint startlists
Women (Tania): Link
Men (Chris): Link

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 5 August 2003, 2:28 AM  
Yeah I saw Morten's time go in 3 minutes before Yuri's and thought that was bit weird but I knew he had beaten Carsten by two minutes in their trial so he was running well. I stayed here at work to check out the resutls seeing it' a good fast connection but unfortunately I got home about 5 minutes after Carsten must have rung. In the message (he mentioned Morten's injury something about having a lump in his stomach now) and he said he felt like he was running way too slow so everyone must have been feeling the heat. I think he was 1-2 minutes ahead at the first radio and from the route choices it looks like he didn't use the tracks as much as the others but went straighter. That kind ot tactic would suit Chris too. Can't be as rough as the Port HIlls after all!

Has anyone tried that fanmail thing I thought it might be a good way to send some good luck through to the NZ team.

PS And if you think Carsten putting "not yet" under the children part in his profile means I'm pregnant - I'm not! Maybe he is?

Show Profile  mark Posted: 5 August 2003, 6:18 AM  
same

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 5 August 2003, 7:25 AM  
Jenni and Carsten aren't in the same country often enough at the moment.

And even if I had been before last weekend's mountain biking I think it might have decided to abandon ship somewhere around the time II fell in the mud for the 5th time.

If we have kids (and they have their father's abilities in orienteering and running rather than their mother's) do you think they should run for NZ or Denmark?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 August 2003, 1:31 PM  
A couple of things I can't find, how many long-distance qualifiers into the final? Some of the comments suggest just 15 from each heat. And we're having a sprint final today, when was the qualifier or wasn't there one?

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz