maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Superseries 2004

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 September 2003, 3:26 AM  
A couple of suggestions on the travel fund issue (assuming squad selection policy remains or gets tighter):
One: divide the overall kitty into pools for each round (equally or strategically). Squad members who apply for funding get first priority, but anything left over can go to non-squad members who have applied. If there's still anything left after that then it gets distributed into the pools for the remaining rounds (kinda like Lotto!). Problem being anyone outside of the squad who might depend on being funded still doesn't know until after the fact.

Two: (similar to James' idea, but not quite the same as I understand it) It is in the advantage of each regionteam to make sure they have at least 4 men and 2 women at each race. Make the travel fund available to NZ squad members PLUS those that the teams may have nominated to make up their numbers. A hypothetical example: the Chatham Island Crayfish will be represented by squad members Tom, Dick, Rangi and Jane at the South Island Champs in Hokitika, so they need one more man and one more woman to fill a minimum squad. Of the various non-squad members from the Chathams who are going or thinking of going to Hokitika, Sven and Jill are thought to be the most likely to pick up good points, so are nominated for funding. One advantage is this might get the other teams to start acting at least as team-like as the Storm. The only disadvantage is the animosity that might arise if such "selections" were consistently wrong: to return to the hypothetical example, Bob also travels to Hokitika out of his own pocket and does really well, scoring good points for the Crays while Sven bombs out. Might this piss Bob off?

Anyway I think the answer is along the lines of first funding priority to suqad members, but leftovers are also available for (genuine) others.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 September 2003, 4:28 AM  
Sorry to say that with gaming trusts the most likely source of funding a list of those eligible is needed now. Quotes are required to accompany the application, and this means we have to get someone like Air NZ to give prices on their letterhead. Working back, this needs the dates, origins and destinations of each trip. It took some ingenuity to obtain this last time, but is possible. So could I bend the discussion towards criteria which could be applied right now, if it is not to be "member of the national squad".

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 September 2003, 3:10 AM  
Discussion has dried up. This is to say that I'll be making some decisions at the weekend. After that there are a number of steps before I can start on travel funding and I want to get going. Please ask your non-maptalk-reading colleagues to read the draft at www.mapsport.co.nz/ss0304.html and to email me.

This message was edited by Michael on 9 September 2003, 11:12 AM

Show Profile  Andrew M Posted: 10 September 2003, 1:51 AM  
Just a point that we need another Medium event somewhere in the program. There is currently just one at the start of the season and one at the nationals (correct me if I am wrong)

I suggest that we should have a medium distance event on the first day in Naseby by just moving the Mens and Women's elites to run on Course 4 and 5 respectively.

The second race at Naseby should be run as Long distance race with postions from the provious day determining start positions. It should also be run on a nice 1:15000 map. Hopefully this simulates the idea of of a qualifying race and a "proper" classic with proper scales for once ie World Champs.

Medium distance on the first day resolves the problem of people pulling out of a race ala Nationals to save themselves for the next day.

adios Andrew.

Show Profile  Natalie Posted: 10 September 2003, 1:55 AM  
Oooh, good idea Andrew!! I really agree, would be great to see that happen. I look forward to seeing W21E on course 5 on the first Naseby day.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 September 2003, 3:02 AM  
I have made a couple of updates to the draft at www.mapsport.co.nz/ss0304.html. They include an idea for how we would incorporate a relay if we could get someone to plan it.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 10 September 2003, 6:40 AM  
Many comments here have been about the Auck Champs being excluded.

It's unfortunate, but necessary as the result of funding applications about to be made won't be known by the time this event rolls around. I've contacted the S.I. squad members and while a few will come up regardless, some more would come if there was funding available.

Going ahead with the Auck Champs as a superseries round without funding would probably result in a lack of representation from the S.I. and IMO its better to exclude it than have reduced fields.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz