maptalk.co.nz News   |   Events   |   Forum   |   Photos   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

NZ Nationals 2019

Show Profile  HidingControls Posted: 1 April 2019, 9:04 AM  
My Guess, seeing as I made the plot.

I think Oceania and Masters have a part to play and then for the past few years Southern O Week has seen a lot of families making the most of their holidays. People are really enjoying their travels and time with friends from around the country.

Clubs like Hawkes Bay and Taranaki have developed a lot of Juniors and clubs in University towns are managing to keep them involved when they leave home. Look at the numbers in MW20 at JWOC trials. Juniors camps require selection, Orienteering is becoming a sport of choice. All good things.

Over 70s - there are in excess of 50 running in those classes. That's inspiring to me.

I think the entries will touch 600, that is 20% more than the previous best.

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 1 April 2019, 11:01 AM  
Agree with much of the above about growth of the sport at junior level and generally too, some clubs reporting highest membership numbers ever. Also a couple of other observations about 2019 that could be contributing:
1. Easter is in the school hols, making NZOC much more enticing to families with school kids to head off for a big holiday. The last 2 years (AOC 2018 and HB 2017) were only 3-4 day long weekends. This may be something to think about re future timing of Nationals, and could be a good thing to discuss at club forum.
2. South Islanders are flocking to it, 3 times as many attending than usual. I did a quick and unscientific comparison (as of today):
2017 Oceania 486 NZ, 1854 total: 109 SI / 377 NI / 1368 Other
2017 (HB) 484 total: 89 SI / 380 NI / 15 other
2018 (AOC) 522 total: 95 SI / 398 NI / 29 other
2019 (PAPO) 612 so far: 273 SI /264 NI / 75 other
So SI numbers are up by more than NI numbers are down = biggest numbers ever (also many more than usual from elsewhere). There's always going to be some geographical forces at play, hence moving the Nationals around the country. But we could ask "how do we entice SI to NI events in the future?" Even at Oceania numbers were well down, despite it being a huge international event (with WMOC after). As much as many northerners love heading to SI on holiday, we can't expect SI clubs to always put on events.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 1 April 2019, 11:28 AM  
There are 50-60 Australians coming as the Australian Easter event is in Perth so it's a shorter flight for east coast Australians to come. That is some of the increase.

It would be interesting to compare the number of SI/NI participants at any National with the number of SI/NI ONZ registered orienteers. Looking at the numbers at the AOS series event yesterday I feel, at least, PAPO has a higher proportion of travelling orienteers than the Auckland clubs. But I haven't checked any numbers it's just an impression.

Show Profile  SteveO Posted: 1 April 2019, 1:57 PM  
Particularly impressive is the strong M21E field. Is this the greatest concentration of NZ M21E orienteering talent at a single Nationals since Alistair Landels ran unopposed?

Show Profile  Jane H Posted: 4 April 2019, 7:07 AM  
So its the perfect storm for high numbers. Probably the most important factor is that Easter is in the SECOND weekend of the school holidays. In theory this will happen again in 2025 (as long as the govt hasn't mucked around with a shorter summer holidays by then ). Will keep this in mind during discussions at club forum. May be we could have Nationals on Chatham Island in 2025.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 9 April 2019, 4:46 PM  
Doesn't really compare but largest nationals was in 1984 at Naseby but it was also APOC and ANZ Challenge. There were 685 entries with many from overseas. There were 62 M21E and 23 W21E.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz