Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Kiwis in Europe

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 August 2016, 4:21 PM  
Lizzie, 1st W21E at OO Cup. www.oocup.com

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 August 2016, 4:30 PM  
Stu Lynch did the Bob Graham round.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 August 2016, 1:52 AM  
At Bubo Cup, a 4 day competition on Croatia's Cres Island ACW tied for first place with UK's David Peel in M50. One race in a centuries old olive grove with stone walls and rock piles everywhere, the remainder in more natural forest with varying degrees of rockiness and modification (traditional grazing practices or mining). Event team is the same as for OOcup and run just as professionally despite being somewhat lower key

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 August 2016, 12:41 PM  
Nice to hear that you're enjoying this part of Europe Nic, reckon its orienteering's best-kept secret. Someone like to summarise O-Ringen for us?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 12 August 2016, 3:13 PM  
Ann Scott 19th W75 in the WMOC sprint in Estonia this week. Other kiwis there Alistair and Joanna Stewart and Selwyn Palmer. Praps we can count Ted van G and Margi Freemantle. Gold to Australian Tash Key in W45, silver to Geoff Lawford M60. Long qualis have been held with the final tomorrow. http://wmoc2016.ee/2016

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 August 2016, 3:01 PM  
Task Key won the W45 long by a big 4min margin. Think she may be in the Aussie WOC team too.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 13 August 2016, 7:43 PM  
Correct, running Sprint and Long

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 August 2016, 5:17 AM  
Any kiwis running the Rocky Orienteering Circus (WOC spectator races)? Results are by club so makes it hard to find NZ's. Nic Gorman the only one I've identified.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 28 August 2016, 2:48 AM  
Apart from team members running the odd day when they are off duty I'm not aware of anyone else. Anna, Heather and the Bengtssons are also here but purely in supporting /spectating roles.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 August 2016, 6:38 PM  
Forgot, Aaron and Sara and family also turned up for the first weekend (the WOC sprints). I think from something Aaron said they were running public races but it was a very much in passing conversation! Can't even be bothered searching up my own results to be honest, the event website has been a bit hit and miss when it comes to finding anything useful

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 1 May 2018, 10:34 AM  
I'm guessing most of the Maptalk regulars will have followed Tio Mila (one of the 2 biggest of the various Scandinavian inter-club relays which involve most of the top international orienteers) in some way or other over the weekend, but for the small percentage that didn't, much of the overseas contingent of the NZ squad were involved.

The clear highlight was in the 10-leg 100 km 'open' race, where Tim Robertson was a significant contributor to his new club KooVee's 3rd placing, taking them from 8th to 4th on the 'pre-dawn' 7th leg. I happened to be listening to the audio feed while he was running and seemed that even though he was often with a small pack with gradually changing members he was not afraid to peel off and do his own thing route-choice wise throughout his run, ending up with I think the 2nd fastest leg time, at least among the leading teams. This must be one of the best results involving a kiwi in the big relays - I think Matt and Rachel have been part of similarly placed teams in Jukola/Venla; not sure if Al might have had similar when he was up amongst the best scandi runners? But even being picked to run in KooVee's top team, given they seem to have been one of the more aggressively recruiting clubs in recent years (Tim's team mates included Daniel Hubmann, the Sild brothers, Ole Kratov and Jani Lakanen) would have been a significant achievement in itself!

We'll also definitely give Rasmus Andersson honorary-kiwi status this week after he took OK Linne out to a 10 minute lead on the infamous 'long night' leg 4 (a lead then lost just as spectacularly over the next 2 legs, so that Linne was only able to recover to 2nd place.

In the 5 leg women's relay (Damkavlen if you prefer), Kate Morrison ran the 5.1 km opening leg for OK Linne's #2 team, bringing them in at 46th (out of 300+ teams), about as highly placed as that team got to before eventually finishing 64th. Looks from results she was part of the first main procession of runners from 10th place onwards, after the more scattered leaders.

Lizzie Ingham was anchor (8km) for Halden #2 and brought them up 8 places to finish in 47th (and again, basically their best position during the race as a whole). Without knowing anything more, looks like another solid step forward on the come-back trail.

And finally (of the ones I know of) Laura Robertson took leg 3 (longest at 10.1km) for the top Rajamaen Rykkmenti team. Obviously this is one of the legs that the real stars tend to end up on, and with a final placing of 38th RR aren't currently one of the very strongest clubs at the moment, so just keeping the team well within the top 100 is something Laura can be satisfied with.

If there was anyone else I missed, add a post :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 May 2018, 11:24 AM  
Fantastic Tim! Thanks Oneman. Some flavour: https://www.facebook.com/10mila.se/videos/10156727196175016/

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 May 2018, 10:06 AM  
European Champs this week in Ticino (apparently the part of Switzerland that even the Swiss think is steep!), underway this evening NZ time with the sprint (heats then final). Tim, Laura and Tommy competing for World Cup points although not eligible for European titles, if it comes to that ;-).

This is a bit of a dress rehearsal for WOC, with all events on the current WOC programme represented and virtually all the top runners represented. In fact it's often regarded as harder to get into say the top 20 or 30 than at the world champs, as the top tier countries are allowed larger teams - I think up to 6 entries in each individual race, instead of 3 at WOC.

Useful link: http://news.worldofo.com/2018/05/04/eoc-2018-all-you-need-to-know/

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 6 May 2018, 2:30 PM  
And Tommy and Tim are through to the final with Laura very unlucky with a great finish of 16th in her heat.

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 6 May 2018, 3:53 PM  
Laura made it too, 17 or 18 through to the final from each heat.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 8 May 2018, 3:02 AM  
Quick EOC sprint round-up for those who haven't found the results themselves...

As noted above, all 3 kiwis through to the final, the only non Euros to do so, despite a number of Aussies and North Americans also present. Final results, Laura 42nd (arguably equivalent to about 30th at WOC, ie once the 'extra' Swiss, Swedes, Finns, Russians etc are accounted for); Tim 17th, just over a minute behind the gold medalists (yes, plural intentional) but half a minute off a top 5 result; Tommy 53rd. Tim was up amongst the top placings but unfortunately lost a bit of time late in the course, while Tommy won the race to the first control!

After a day off to unpack the terrain shoes, it's the qualifiers for the middle distance tonight. I'm assuming the same qualification model as the sprint but if anyone knows better...

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz