maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

World Masters

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 30 July 2016, 10:32 AM  
Is there any further information about the non-masters grade events for WMOC?

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 29 August 2016, 6:38 AM  
"Regrettably there will be no public races run in conjunction with Orienteering events at the World Masters Orienteering Championships, as part of World Masters Games 2017. "

http://www.orienteering.org.nz/news/world-masters-games-2017-public-races/

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 August 2016, 4:40 PM  
Are you fucken serious

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 30 August 2016, 3:13 AM  
Regrettably there will be no public races run in conjunction with Orienteering events at the World Masters Orienteering Championships, as part of World Masters Games 2017. The local organising team sincerely apologises for any inconvenience. The focus remains on planning a successful Masters event in Auckland in 2017.

If you are not entering the World Masters Orienteering Championships and hope to orienteer in New Zealand’s world-class terrain, we recommend you enter the Oceania and Middle Earth Orienteering Carnival to be run over the ten days preceding World Masters Games 2017. For more information visit www.oceania2017.nz.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 30 August 2016, 4:34 AM  
My son's reaction: Why can't I run too, Dad?

Umm...

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 30 August 2016, 4:55 AM  
This is extremely disappointing, I'm a master but my partner isn't (cradle snatcher). We were looking forward to racing, but will be reconsidering this now and look at doing something else together instead.
I'm sure most families would feel the same.
Please reconsider this regrettable decision.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 30 August 2016, 9:43 AM  
Tallinn O Week - An extra 350-400 competitors on the courses in grades not covered by Masters. 2 sprints, 2 longs, 1 middle and a model day. Similar for most other recent WMOC competitions.

Surely wasn't creating an inclusive Masters Event catering for competitors and families part of the organising committees brief? (ie. for all levels of Masters)

I think ONZ has dropped the ball on this one. An apology from the local organising committee isn't enough.

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 30 August 2016, 1:30 PM  
Without knowing anything specific, it wouldn't surprise me if this was a requirement imposed by World Masters Games. I know we had a lot of issues on this front in 2002 (we were eventually able to run something but weren't allowed to promote it in any meaningful way, and if I recall correctly got about 30 entries).

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 30 August 2016, 2:41 PM  
Hopefully there will be a better explanation posted but Blair is fairly close to hitting the nail on the head. I don't think there is anyone in the Orienteering community happy about the outcome.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 30 August 2016, 4:02 PM  
If the Australians can get around this restriction then why can't we?

I have only been to one world masters orienteering as a master, and it wasn't part of the games and there were loads of kids, partners etc running (similar to this year, as Michael points out in Estonia). It was as we usually promote, orienteering the family sport. And I competed in 21E in the last world masters held in NZ and it was a great event.

Being part of the world masters games thing is a pain in the butt. What are the advantages?

I am feeling a bit sad that I have already booked accommodation as I am seriously thinking about forgetting about this. In fact I think we can get most, if not all, of our accommodation money back so there we will need to seriously think about whether we're doing this. I don't get enough holiday to have holiday that excludes activities for my kids.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 31 August 2016, 3:58 AM  
The WMOC 2013 held in Turin, Italy, was hosted as part of the World Masters Games and included the North West Cup Piemont which catered for all non-masters grades.

The WMOC 2015 in Gothenburg, Sweden, was hosted as part of the World Masters Games and included Open Races for all grades which attracted over 250 entrants for non-masters grades.

I don't think the decision can be blamed on the World Masters Games organising committee, Blair.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 31 August 2016, 8:32 AM  
Looking back through the World Masters Games I note that I incorrectly stated that the WMOC in 2015 were part of the World Masters Games which is incorrect.

But Turin in 2013 was and was held with the North West Cup Piedmont.

The WMOC held in Sydney with the World Masters in 2009 had the Blue Mountains 3 Day Challenge for all non-masters grades.

The WMOC held in Edmonton with the World Masters in 2005 had non-masters grades run at the same time as Masters Grades.

And Blair advised that the WMOC with the World Masters held in 2002 in Melbourne also had non-masters grades.

So, no excuses there.

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 31 August 2016, 3:28 PM  
This decision was made by the World Masters Games organisation and was definitely opposed by Orienteering NZ and the Orienteering Organising Committee.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 31 August 2016, 3:49 PM  
I can't actually see how the World masters Games can stop Orienteering NZ organising a competition, which caters for non-masters, at the same time as the masters orienteering event. Such a competition does not need to have world masters in its title or use the world masters entry system.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 31 August 2016, 5:32 PM  
Agree Jenni. Why did we even have to ask? What's the IOFs take on this?

Show Profile  blairtrewin Posted: 1 September 2016, 2:05 PM  
While it's probably best that I don't continue to thrash this out in a public arena, I will be following up through IOF channels.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz