maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Godzone

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 27 February 2015, 8:57 AM  
Starts tomorrow morning somewhere near Wanaka. A lot of orienteers racing. My prediction is it is Seagate's race to lose being the current world champs.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 28 February 2015, 12:59 AM  
Stage 8 includes orienteering through Waikaia. Nice.

"Teams depart the beautiful Piano Flat on their bikes and make their way into the heart of the Waikaia Forest. Here they will complete the first ever genuine orienteering stage at GODZone (using a 1:12500 map) which was designed by orienteering legend, Bruce Macleod. The orienteering course features four loops that run off the bike route."

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 28 February 2015, 1:12 AM  
Here is the map

http://gza.100pureracing.netdna-cdn.com/images/map_4/WakaiaOMapRotated.png

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 February 2015, 4:24 AM  
Ah, Waikaia. One of NZ's orienteering taonga.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 28 February 2015, 2:06 PM  
Nice that loop east of the road will be a good challenge for them, it was getting pretty thick in there last time I was there.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 March 2015, 10:05 AM  
Is this race a bit short in the news dept or am I missing something? I can see the tracking but the only goss seems to be a series of one-liners. Even Rob Howard on Sleepmonsters hasn't got anything to say.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 1 March 2015, 10:58 AM  
No you are not missing anything. There is a news section on the website but it doesnt seem to have much on it. I did read that Chris fell off a cliff last night in the trek. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 1 March 2015, 11:08 AM  
The controls can be seen on the Waikaia map, and are really going to help the orienteers. Conversely the weak team navigators could be in there for many hours, especially if they are there at night. Repeated clicks on the map will blow it right up.
The news pages and sleepmonsters have quite a lot to say, plus the videos are okay

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 1 March 2015, 11:16 AM  
Thanks for the tip about the Waikaia map Rob, good to see the controls on it. Agree the strong navigators will be good on this.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 1 March 2015, 12:12 PM  
Found the real newsy stuff, not under "news" but under "route". Anything else hidden away?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 2 March 2015, 2:49 PM  
Fascinating area up on top of the Garvie's that they're getting into. Site for a rogaine?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 March 2015, 6:36 AM  
But too much for a Swordfox knee. That trace looks like a heli route back to Kingston. Hope Chris's leg holds out, they are going well in Waikaia.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 March 2015, 9:24 AM  
.. in Waikaia, which is a mature and ancient deciduous forest, according to Sleepmonsters. Must pay it a visit in the autumn then.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 4 March 2015, 11:35 PM  
Well done Seagate. Best team in the world. Michael, agree the Garvies could be good for a rogaine.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 March 2015, 1:35 AM  
Looks like the Waikaia orienteering might have been decisive. Seagate got thru in daylight, Columbia just behind in darkness had to ask the organisers whether a checkpoint was misplaced. Meanwhile Seagate just streaked away. I wonder if Swordfox had still been mobile, could they have passed Columbia in the forest?

Question: how much do the teams know about the others? Seagate had a 2hr kip on the last stage, how did they know they could afford that?

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 5 March 2015, 2:42 AM  
My 2 cents:

1. Seagate were starting to pull away from Columbia anyway before the O section. The lack of sleep for Columbia was starting to show.

2. If Swordfox had of stayed mobile I think with Brent navigating in the O section they would have passed Columbia and stayed away. They were right with them when the injury happened.

3. Seagate would have known the leasd before they got onto the water.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz