maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

ONZ

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 27 November 2014, 1:46 PM  
I'm really unimpressed that ONZ with 150k plus in the kitty can't pay entry fees for our best athletes at the World Cup races in Tassie. Total fees are less than $5000, and the athletes feel really neglected, with what appears to be nearly zero support. No wonder our elite fields are dropping away!!
What is the ONZ goal, I wonder, because I get the impression they are trying to build this kitty to be a monster? Why?

We pay 25% of all our entry fees to this entity, and what are we getting in return?

No coaching, no technical support, no magazines, no publicity, and piss poor communication.

I had the impression there would be a monthly newsletter, but the last one was the first in 3 months. The council has suggested that all members be encouraged to look regularly at the ONZ website for updates, which is bullshit, as usually there are no updates, so people soon stop looking. Surely important announcements such as selection issues or deadlines need to get to the people, so there must be a better way.

Anyone else gutted at the way things are going, because I have been around this sport a long time, and reckon it is in its worst state ever?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 1 December 2014, 3:04 AM  
Yep couldn't agree more.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 1 December 2014, 3:54 AM  
http://www.maptalk.co.nz/forum/topic.cfm?t=2071&page=1

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 1 December 2014, 6:09 AM  
Change of mind from Rob, but from the sounds of it, justifiably so. After comprehensive consultation with the NZ O Community major issues where members seem disillusioned and confused continue to occur - which is sad.

I once tried to help but found I had more luck raking water upstream as it was frustrating and near impossible to complete my duties as expected.

Perhaps a review of the management structure of ONZ needs to be completed as well (please don't mis interpret this as a personal attack - more the way duties are dispersed/overseen). Like it has been said often, ONZ is predominantly volunteer run, and the efforts these people put in are outstanding. All I am saying is perhaps the a review/change in structure could further utilize these peoples efforts in more effective way.

It may be that the current model works well but hey, is it worth entertaining the idea?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 December 2014, 1:15 PM  
Wind it up and start again with what is important.

I would rather have a decent magazine that built and sustained a community than whatever it is that ONZ currently produces.

HP entry fee's are more of a luxury than a necessity, Our elites achievements are pretty irrelevant to the development of the sport if their stories aren't being told (eg JWOC 2014). That said, good on them for going hard off their in the ether somewhere.

Reading the last two strategic plans makes me nauseous.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 7 December 2014, 12:42 PM  
Why?
What's important again? Is it magazines?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 15 December 2014, 3:41 AM  
Hmmm... I have no idea what you are on about Nick...

How about since the the there has no been a filled position for High Performance director for the past 2? years that the budget allocation of that role for 2014 (~$5000?) is redirected to the entry fees for World Cup or something along those lines???

And another question, what is the ONZ annual allocation for High Performance? (speaking in the past tense since its now "Performance"... not sure why the "high" has been dropped???

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 December 2014, 4:23 AM  
Not that much wrong with the onz web site it's just that for some reason no one is using it as a forum (incl me). prob just don't want to be a lone ranger. I think the real issue is that over the past few years there seems to be an apathy or reluctance in general to discuss anything on any forum on orienteering in New Zealand, including here on Maptalk, apart from the odd mud slinging match or some mapping technical items.
In the past I've asked questions about mapping and course setting aimed at getting thoughts from the elite... but no one can be bothered.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 15 December 2014, 4:38 AM  
There is something to be said for asking things in an informal environment and a formal environment. I see maptalk as an informal environment where you can talk shit. The ONZ website on the otherhand is where you probably need to be a bit more formal in your approach. I think both have their place.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 December 2014, 5:05 AM  
I started up a NZ Champs 2015 topic in the 'Events' thingy. See what happens...

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 15 December 2014, 5:34 AM  
From my experience people will say things in an informal environment that are quite true and to the point but because it never gets brought up in a formal environment by the right people nothing happens.

On another note, its all well and good making strategic plans and structures etc - now actually need to follow through on these plans.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 December 2014, 5:41 AM  
anyone help?... I entered a url address onto onz of a Picasa album of some map samples. Nothing happened.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 15 December 2014, 5:58 AM  
I was just looking for some more info on the nationals.

Looking forward to see the "houses the size of buildings"

Looks like you tried to add the link as an image rather than just a plain link, but I am not familiar with the forum.

Looking at the code the link is this but that is a private album or something.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107779566586602961887/albums/6092855674635197265

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 December 2014, 6:03 AM  
hmmm that was strange, I thought I made it for public viewing, and it was using a different email. I'll try again with a risk of looking like an IT retard

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 December 2014, 6:17 AM  
Thanks Fraser, indeed there would be some large houses. Seeesh now I can't edit the thing!
*rocks

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 15 December 2014, 6:36 AM  
Got there in the end... so you have to find the 'Events Discussion' on ONZ to get your treat.
Might put up some teasing photos.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz