maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

ONZ

Show Profile  nick Posted: 15 December 2014, 12:31 PM  
Tane - I was just pressing Jamie for something more specific. Interested to hear reasons not just statements. I'm not standing up for ONZ on this one - don't understand it well enough to stick my neck out. Hence the questions.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 16 December 2014, 2:50 AM  
Hi Paul,

I have added a note to help with adding images. “To add images, use the toolbar to link to the full URL of the image file ( usually starts with http:// and ends .jpg ) or to upload an image by clicking on “media” tab and then upload. Best size for chat is 500px wide).”

In this case with Google Plus albums, go to the page displaying the individual image you want to include, right click the image and select “Copy image URL”. Back in the ONZ chat forum, click on the image button in the toolbar and paste it as the source for the image. The alternative is to upload the image via the media tab.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 16 December 2014, 3:03 AM  
Paul, that pesky issue of not being able to edit your post after 5 minutes has been removed. You can now edit your own posts within 5 days. After that it sets into stone.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 16 December 2014, 6:22 AM  
Thanks for the prompt upgrades Rog. Much easier for the average bear now.
Hey, any way all the 'Groups' tiles can be displayed all at once instead of just some of them... and they display when a new post has been made?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 16 December 2014, 7:18 AM  
That Jamie... always deliberately cryptic, maybe why he like twalk so much....

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 16 December 2014, 7:22 AM  
Also couldnt agree with DMjunior any more either. ONZ seems just like my work with its strategic planning every 5mins. What do they actually achieve other than a load of big wigs talking shit about stuff they dont actually know what they are on about???

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 16 December 2014, 7:44 AM  
The groups panel on the front page is limited to show the 9 "popular" groups by default. (In this case the definition of popular is the number of people subscribed to the group).

If you click the "active" tab on the home page groups section you will see the 9 most recent "active" groups - in the order similar to what you mention. (although it should be noted activity can include other things other than chat posts like someone joining the group etc).

Currently changing this homepage to have active as the default and showing all groups needs to wait until a future development phase by the development team.

Alternative views:

1. the "Recent chat" side panel is shown on most pages. (Currently there is a known issue where the "Last update:" time shown is incorrect).

2. "Main Top Menu > Contacts & Groups > Groups (all)" displays all groups

3. "Main Top Menu > News & Views > Recent Chats" * displays recent chats. This page could be easily modified to remove the first chat posts body text content to make it look just like Maptalk's list of thread headings.

4. "Main Top Menu > News & Views > Forums/Chat(All)" again this could be changed to remove the content of the first post if required in a future development phase.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 17 December 2014, 1:07 AM  
The Nationals terrain sounds great

I'm not sure that a formal chat forum sounds like something people will use

Clubs as the constituent members, should think about what ONZ offers them and their members. I don't think there is value for money. Clubs are fundamentally responsible for the success or failure of ONZ and they seem all to ready just to pass on the money and not question its use.

The lack of broad volunteer involvement and commmitment at the National level is indicative that something is amiss.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 17 December 2014, 8:56 AM  
Agree - Paul your images of Nats terrain/maps are exciting!

And Rog - full credit for being responsive.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what value for money ONZ is providing to clubs. Off the top of my head I can think of insurance, new strat plan, new website, a couple of new policies, notably a selection policy to address genuine issues there. So, does any of that count? Then OTOH there seem to be problems around high performance, communication, levy, ability to fill those key volunteer spots... I don't expect ONZ to be perfect, but most of these things do fall within the minimum expectation. So C-?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 December 2014, 9:14 AM  
Re nats teasers... I think they represent a cross between showing some of the nice terrain and also not giving away too much so there are plenty more treats. Could make a thread here but we should give ONZ a try at least, might throw up more things to improve on and get more people to start using it. Ironic said here I know and I do love this place at times.
It may be helpful to know how many orienteers read info here or onz so that the target audience gets reached when necessary using the best means. It may be facebook and we're all wasting our time?

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 18 December 2014, 6:57 PM  
Although I appreciate the photos Paul. Some actual venue details so that people can plan to attend is more urgent. It's less than 4 months away and those from out of town need to book travel and accommodation soon to beat the Auckland holiday hordes.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 18 December 2014, 7:14 PM  
No website. No posting on ONZ events site. No update on CMOC site. Apart from a listing in the ONZ Major Events calendar (buried on ONZ site) and the above comments hidden in a thread about ONZ, do the 2015 Nationals even exist? Right. That's enough negativity as those pictures of the terrain look awesome!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 19 December 2014, 2:10 AM  
Hi Michael
I had a feeling there may have been some understandable wonder about the event. My capacity atm is only one of the mappers and so I was in a position to help with a small amount of promo about 3 of the mapped areas. I'm certain that CMOC had been struggling with manpower a little having had a very busy winter of events with various school things and just recently the Auckland Champs weekend. As we all know there is always more work to do than expected and for a smaller club this can be daunting at times. I know they are working on things. In the meantime I can pass on some small but hopefully helpful bits of info here on an 'informal' website until further formal detail is released. I'm sure CMOC won't mind but correct me if I am slightly incorrect.
I'll place this on a new topic thread

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz