maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

World Cup - Tasmania Jan 2015

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 28 September 2014, 6:56 PM  
We have a spare car for 4. It's a total sewing machine but available for anyone prepared to fill up the tank. Ph Al 03 3847911 or 0274 589592

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 6 October 2014, 5:59 PM  
Hello maptalk! I'll actually be in NZ at the time and was keen, but then realised we can spend a week in Fiji for half the cost. People who are on the fence about the trip, I'd recommend waiting a few months and saving a little more and experiencing some orienteering in Europe/Scandinavia if you haven't done so before, you can do a lot on quite a low budget once you get here. But good luck to everyone that is competing competing - from what I remember Tassie is awesome fun! (just don't get hammered and wander into the ocean)

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 October 2014, 9:56 PM  
Most of us don't have the luxury of time and cash for a spin around Europe so a couple of weeks in tasmania is appealing. No O in fiji plus its stinkin hot and wet then. Tassie wins.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 October 2014, 4:25 AM  
Maybe Ross remembers getting lost in Tassie when he was a nipper, heh heh.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 7 October 2014, 1:42 PM  
You know I never get lost Michael

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 7 October 2014, 1:43 PM  
There will be O in Fiji by the time I'm done with it

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 7 October 2014, 9:46 PM  
Funny you should sat that Ross. Last time I went there I was eyeballing a forest plantation, as you do.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 7 October 2014, 11:38 PM  
A few years ago I consulted in Fiji for a few months working for New Zealand MFAT helping the FLIS (Fiji Land Information System - now called FGIS) and explored the main island a bit so maybe we are thinking of the same forest plantation. Most vegetation is pretty thick and its very hot. I always thought it would make a good place for something like Oceania. Then the coup got in the way and messed things up. I can find out who owns areas and probably get access to government areas (and use resorts for sprint areas). However ownership and access to land is a political issue with the current regime and any future regime) (eg only native Fijians can own land, and Fijian Indians can only lease land) so we may end up not getting access. It would require someone to reconnoitre and find good areas and get access to land. Another problem is there are no clubs or orienteering in Fiji so we would have to start from scratch. Another possibly major problem would be access to topographical or good base maps.

Another more realistic place is New Caledonia. In December, I will be mapping in New Caledonia for a month, there is an active club, there are some nice areas and maps, it's a tropical island with a French twist, and the political situation is far better than Fiji. Maybe an Oceania in New Caledonia in a few years? Any takers?

Show Profile  inghamma Posted: 8 October 2014, 1:24 PM  
I confess to being a little surprised at Ross's comments about Tasmania, and wonder if an important aspect has been forgotten. That is that the winners of the Oceania middle and long distance titles get automatic entries to those races for WOC2015 in Scotland. Although any such person is subject to confirmation by the selectors, it is an individual place. not a team one. In other words it is for the Oceania winner and can't be transferred to anyone else.

Given that without this New Zealand is only entitled to 1 man in each of the middle and long distance races at WOC2015, and two women in each, I would have thought that any one with aspirations for Scotland should be seriously eyeing Tasmania. After all, you don't have to beat the Scandinavians and other Europeans, nice though that would be, only the Australians and the other New Zealanders.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 8 October 2014, 2:40 PM  
There will be plenty of possibles for those titles with Matt, Tim, Nick, Chris, Gene and Tom amongst the strongest of the confirmed people going, but a nice incentive for them.

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 8 October 2014, 9:51 PM  
Like Rob points out Lizzie, I'm sure the team can still get those extra WOC places without me 'helping' Sure I'd love to go, but too much oing this year and having to come to NZ for a wedding has put too much of a dent in my huge sponsorship account

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 9 October 2014, 5:14 AM  
Is that your wedding?

I must say we looked at the cost for a while too as the flights are pretty expensive but still a third of what it costs for a Europe flight, and it is nice to visit Tasmania after all. Not that we had the World Cups as an incentive either, and that should surely add willingness to spend some more for those doing that. But of course, if your money pot is empty there's not much to be done Ross.

Show Profile  Lizzie Posted: 9 October 2014, 10:19 AM  
Actually, that was Malcolm, not me.

Gutted you're not coming, but like Rob says, plenty of others strong enough to nab us that extra WOC spot!

Show Profile  rossmaxmo Posted: 9 October 2014, 3:45 PM  
Woops, my bad Lizzie/Malcolm! Gosh, I'm much too young to get married Jenni Sure it's cheaper than Europe, but add it on top of coming from Finland it starts to get a bit crazy for a couple of students. I'll keep my eye out for any last minute flight deals, but I doubt it's going to get much cheaper.. plus I'm already indisposed on the trial weekend and it seems Tassie entries are already closing - sometimes you have to admit to yourself when it's not meant to be

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 29 November 2014, 2:42 AM  
I see the world cup team has been announced. I'm a bit surprised that NZ isn't fielding a full team of 10 guys and 10 girls in each race. Are there not enough people going to fill up the spots? Surely if there are people keen to race and gain experience racing at that level ONZ should be giving them the opportunity. What a great chance to give people that experience to know just what work they need to do to be competitive at the top level.

If there are special rules allowing for more runners isn't it best to make use of the rule. If we can't fill up the quota then it's much more likely to be cut in the future. Surely IOF realise Aus and NZ aren't going to be able to field a team as deep as the Europeans, it seems like this rule is specially designed to try and increase the depth of our top athletes.

Maybe orienteering in NZ is declining if there aren't 20 people keen to race as well as they can in the elite grade at the world cup. It's hard to believe that when we've got a number of juniors really stepping it up at JWOC.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz