maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Encouragement

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 12 February 2013, 10:46 PM  
Al: what is "...the Swiss/Austrian style team-orienteering".

Show Profile  darren Posted: 12 February 2013, 11:01 PM  
The concept of team orienteering is something that I think would really appeal across the ages. There is really no reason why we just can't include this idea at any event, on any course and just note team next to the names in the results. Or just add a team category for very little extra work. The fact is many people don't try orienteering because they see it as an individual sport in some remote wilderness area and this sits way outside their comfort zone. It scares them as they are worried about getting lost,injured...etc. Having the opportunity to do it competitively with some friends instantly solves this problem. Not all team members even need to carry a map, but they will still get the buzz of completing the course. I see this all the time with young people in the events I run through work. All of these events involve a significant component of orienteering or rogaining and generally each team only has one or two navigators, but they all love it.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 12 February 2013, 11:06 PM  
Can't remember all the rules, but something like:

1 Sport-Ident.
2-3 runners each with a map.
Longish course with route-choices and dog-legs, 1-2 hours usually.

Idea is that a different runner carries the SI at different times while the other(s) jog a shorter route to a point someone ahead on the course, then they swap the SI and someone else runs hard... Basically a logistics and optimization exercise.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 12 February 2013, 11:07 PM  
Could points Dazz!

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 12 February 2013, 11:08 PM  
I meant 'good' :-P

Show Profile  Dwayne Posted: 12 February 2013, 11:23 PM  
Hey Al, that relay technique has evolved at AOC night street Rogaines where the teams sometimes send the best (or freshest at the time) runner to get out of the way controls while others have a rest on the way to a closer one. Not strictly within the rules, but no reason why it couldn't be. And it does add another element to the planning and strategy.
Come to think of it - I normally do those type of events individually because of differences in fitness and speed with potential team mates. The rule tweak would increase the number of potential partners (and entice friends who are runners to the sport?)

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 12 February 2013, 11:57 PM  
I wouldn't call it a relay technique, just another "team-based" competition type, this thread is on how to encourage young people to stay in orienteering, I've mentioned 2 possible ways, other people have mentioned beer...

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 13 February 2013, 12:05 AM  
Completely agree with team orienteering concept, and this would be of real interest to many people that find the sport a bit difficult to access. No reason why you can't have a team category at any event - newcomers would love it, and is one of the reasons Rogaines are growing faster than orienteering - better socially, more fun, and more supportive for many people.

Agree with Alastair that age grade relays are better - they run these in Oz and generally i find them more relevant and interesting than the NZ Champs format we run. Agree that wider age bands would sort the numbers issue.

There are all sorts of team formats, so interesting hearing some of these. Did a brilliant event in Oz a few years ago as a 3 person team which was rogaine style - as a team you had to divide up all the controls and agree who woudl get which ones - from memory there were about 6 compulsory controls every team member had to get, but the others could be divided up - had a 1 hour time limit to get in by. nice simple format that allowed a much wider competitive team options.

Have a read of the draft startegic plan (see separate thread on details of this)

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 13 February 2013, 12:06 AM  
sorry, should have said Alistair, not Alastair - sorry!

Show Profile  Liam Posted: 13 February 2013, 12:44 AM  
I would be keen for mixed gender sprint relays at some large events. This is going to be a new event at WOC from 2017 I think. It could give the benefits mentioned above (social or competitive team environment, urban areas within peoples comfort zones) and also elites would need to become familiar with this event type. It could be run in an age grade format.

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 13 February 2013, 4:52 AM  
Auckland Relays 2013 - NWOC are organising. 4 person sprint relay, 2 girls, 2 guys with the girls running the first and last legs to create more drama in accordance with the IOF train of thought.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 13 February 2013, 6:02 AM  
Matt haven't you worked out that girls are always more dramatic than guys. The IOF clearly have

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 13 February 2013, 10:42 AM  
University O clubs would be a good step forward. This incorperates Neil's beer element. As far as i'm aware there's not a single Uni O club in NZ. They need to be active clubs, that recurit during Orientation week. They would capture all the juniors coming through from Nat squad too social sport standard. It needs to be more than just an active group of exisiting orienteers at a university.

Then you have a NZ uni champs, or varisty matches, ie Canty vs Otago. Involves indivaul, relay and partying.

I think Alistair makes a good point about relays. In NZ if you don't make nat squad level there's not a lot to aim for. Whilst in Sweden, the vast majority of Orienteers have no realistic chance of ever being in the national squad. Therefore your aim might be to get a good leg in the club's tio-mila 2nd team (out of say 4 teams) in the spring.
You all train together at the clubhut 5 times a week, and have a good time doing it.

As someone who broadly fits into the category above, but kept on doing Orienteering. I've felt more inspired to be motivated during my very short time in sweden, than in NZ or UK, primarly due to the club/uni club relay/social atmosphere.

Show Profile  AllanJ Posted: 13 February 2013, 12:00 PM  
Given I'm the controller of the 2013 Auckland Relays, this is the first I've heard of this development!

Show Profile  theoman Posted: 13 February 2013, 8:56 PM  
haha Allan, it was just an idea. i actually know nothing about the relays

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz